Sammy Watkins: New Teams, Same Bad Attitude

19 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

See I think there were issues with the offense... but sitting on leads or having the training wheels on Josh are not, for the most part, two of them. McDermott cannot be blamed in the same breath for being too conservative and for allowing his offense to throw too much with a lead. Yet on this board he seems to get both. They are not failing to score points because they are too conservative. They are failing to score enough points because their execution was a problem all year.  

Exactly. It drives me nuts that McDermott is accused of being too conservative when, for one example, he takes more fourth-down chances than any Bills coach in recent memory

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again as a Bill, did he produce?  I'd say his trajectory was right on track year's 1-2 & missed half of year 3.  

So as I keep asking, what exactly did Sammy do on the field that necessitated him being dumped for pennies on the dollar?

Any other Bills dumped in a similar manner that have flourished? 

And would you not rather have had him play for the B ills in 2017 & then made the decision as to his future.

He may have been a bust year 4 & then this argument would be moot....

i think the biggest concern is what he didn't do.  my guess is they new they were moving on from him, not wanting to pay him the money he was going to get on the market, and traded him for a second.  the team that traded for  him was also unimpressed by his production, let him go only to use another pick to trade for a wr that they paid comparable numbers to.  

i'm with you that they should have given him the 5th year, but i suppose when the opportunity for a pick is there you take it.  

sammy is a great talent with disappointing production.  he's shown that his entire career.  he can help you big, it's just a question of dependability.  

14 hours ago, njbuff said:

Watkins just couldn't stay on the field for the Bills, especially right before McDermott took the HC job.

That is why he is not on the Bills roster, not his attitude.

It was mainly his attitude, but I'm sure the injuries factored in as well. 

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/12/01/rams-sammy-watkins-cant-stop-talking-selfish-he-was-bills/

40 minutes ago, H2o said:

It was mainly his attitude, but I'm sure the injuries factored in as well. 

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/12/01/rams-sammy-watkins-cant-stop-talking-selfish-he-was-bills/

Actually this is the perfect article that indicates how a new regime could have worked with him, talked about expectations and doubled down that they wanted him to excel and be their #1...  

Again I want to cheer and have longtime allegiance to players Ina Bills uniform and yes that means usually at the Skill Positions.  I was excited for 2017 and what a Healthy Sammy & TT could do.  

Trading him in training camp was a slap in the face of fans looking forward to 2017, not draft picks in 2018.....

30 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Actually this is the perfect article that indicates how a new regime could have worked with him, talked about expectations and doubled down that they wanted him to excel and be their #1...  

Again I want to cheer and have longtime allegiance to players Ina Bills uniform and yes that means usually at the Skill Positions.  I was excited for 2017 and what a Healthy Sammy & TT could do.  

Trading him in training camp was a slap in the face of fans looking forward to 2017, not draft picks in 2018.....

I liked Sammy and argued the point that when he was targeted like a #1 WR then he put up #1 WR numbers. I was disappointed when he was traded. At the same time we don't know the full extent of what went on behind the scenes at OBD, conversations that were had and statements that were made. McDermott and Beane don't strike me as the types to bash players openly to the media, past nor present. I believe they felt it was in the best interests of all parties involved to take what they got and move on. 

15 minutes ago, H2o said:

I liked Sammy and argued the point that when he was targeted like a #1 WR then he put up #1 WR numbers. I was disappointed when he was traded. At the same time we don't know the full extent of what went on behind the scenes at OBD, conversations that were had and statements that were made. McDermott and Beane don't strike me as the types to bash players openly to the media, past nor present. I believe they felt it was in the best interests of all parties involved to take what they got and move on. 

No they don't bash, but also McD seems myopic if a player doesn't fit their ideal (& of course Defense).

Have to sometimes treat players differently and not everyone fits your ideal.

Regardless of attitude, availability is very important as well. Difficult for new group to put faith in player who was frequently injured. Sammy just could not be relied upon to be available and instead of paying him they decided to cut bait while he had some value left. In hindsight, it was the right move as Watkins has not developed into the #1 WR everyone thought he would become coming out of Clemson. 

is it so hard to understand that sammy leaving the bills made him ultimately a better team player than he was here, he even admits as much?

sometimes a change is needed and is good for both parties.

i wish we still had him since we just have such a lack of skill talent, but it just wasn't in the cards.

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

He was under contract.... 2017 as the established #1, good success with Tyrod, things could have played out much differently.

Anyone else remember the game vs. The Jets where he schooled Revis??

Sammy lost me when, while rehabbing his foot and unable to play football, he was playing pickup basketball at LA fitness.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Regardless of attitude, availability is very important as well. Difficult for new group to put faith in player who was frequently injured. Sammy just could not be relied upon to be available and instead of paying him they decided to cut bait while he had some value left. In hindsight, it was the right move as Watkins has not developed into the #1 WR everyone thought he would become coming out of Clemson. 

The right move was to pick up his option and roll with him in 2017 and 2018 before making a decision on his free agency after the 2018 season.

Bills offense has been horrible..........at times historically awful..........in the 3 years since he left and WR has been their worst position group by far in that time.

The plus side for him is he's only 26.

Fred Taylor was 26 when he finally figured out how to keep himself healthy and he really took off after that.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Sammy lost me when, while rehabbing his foot and unable to play football, he was playing pickup basketball at LA fitness.

He tore himself up by over training.    Wouldn't stay off injuries.  

Biggest mistake the Bills made with him was putting him in a WR room without a veteran as a rookie.   It was basically Watkins and Bob Woods.......who was going thru his own maturity issues.    Anquan Boldin was a free agent..........he was the perfect match to mentor him.   Boldin had struggled with injuries at Florida State and really up until age 29 in the NFL but had learned how to take care of his body to endure long seasons and subsequently became a key player on championship level teams.

McBeane have been smart about having a vet in the room to show young players how to prepare.     They wisely identified Boldin but pulled the plug.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The right move was to pick up his option and roll with him in 2017 and 2018 before making a decision on his free agency after the 2018 season.

Bills offense has been horrible..........at times historically awful..........in the 3 years since he left and WR has been their worst position group by far in that time.

The plus side for him is he's only 26.

Picking up the pick and EJ Gaines for Watkins, then receiving another pick and Jordan Matthews for Ron Darby was maybe McD's wildest swing at getting rid of players he didn't want.  One more reason JA needs to work out.   

And here we are 2.5 years later talking about drafting a WR1.  Need to see evidence McBeane know what they're doing on that side of the ball. 

I'm really to interested in whether they're willing to take a swing on non-choir boys who can perform on the field. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Picking up the pick and EJ Gaines for Watkins, then receiving another pick and Jordan Matthews for Ron Darby was maybe McD's wildest swing at getting rid of players he didn't want.  One more reason JA needs to work out.   

And here we are 2.5 years later talking about drafting a WR1.  Need to see evidence McBeane know what they're doing on that side of the ball. 

I'm really to interested in whether they're willing to take a swing on non-choir boys who can perform on the field. 

I wonder how many receivers in this draft will rack up 2500 yards and 17 TDs by age 23 like Sammy did in Buffalo or 4300 yards and 31 TDs by age 26 like he has in his career to date.  If McBeane can identify those guys, he can successfully avoid them.