Sammy Watkins: New Teams, Same Bad Attitude

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Did Patrick Mahomes have the stench of Whaley or did someone else make the biggest mistake in franchise history?:flirt:

I couldn't stand Whaley as a GM. I still view him as having acted like an undisciplined child. That said, the above is not possible to argue and at the same time maintain credibility.

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Disingenuous. The niners had three consecutive 10 loss seasons prior to this year. There was nothing quick or easy about their turnaround.

And yet, SF hired their HC and GM the same year Buffalo did theirs.  DIfference is, John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan are 2-0 in the playoffs with a SB (at a minimum) appearance.   

It's not "anti-fan" to have expectations beyond what one's favorite team delivers.  After 3 off-seasons of rebuilding, plenty of UFA dollars and draft picks, Buffalo can't win a playoff game.  That's not good enough when compared to other teams who've proven you can go from losing to reaching the heights of playoff success.

The question to ask is why can't Buffalo?  What's holding them back from achieving?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

And yet, SF hired their HC and GM the same year Buffalo did theirs.  DIfference is, John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan are 2-0 in the playoffs with a SB (at a minimum) appearance.   

It's not "anti-fan" to have expectations beyond what one's favorite team delivers.  After 3 off-seasons of rebuilding, plenty of UFA dollars and draft picks, Buffalo can't win a playoff game.  That's not good enough when compared to other teams who've proven you can go from losing to reaching the heights of playoff success.

The question to ask is why can't Buffalo?  What's holding them back from achieving?

SF tanked.

Period. This team didn't. Apples and oranges. Tanking works, and San Francisco proves it.

Edited by Joe in Winslow
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, teef said:

you keep mentioning an overall 25-25 record, but forget to mention the two playoff appearances in 2 years.  why is that?

Because you would....  We know 0-2 I'm the playoffs too.

I'm just saying the records are almost identical to the prior three years that was considered a dumpster fire.....

I love the false narrative.  

This thread is about Watkins and I maintain they traded him out of spite for the prior regime not his production on field.

• Like (+1) 1

Can you imagine this place if, by some miracle, McCoy had actually played yesterday and ran for, like, 110 yards and a TD?

There would be dozens of threads merged into one 100 megathread bemoaning his exit to KC.

But, alas, he disappeared in the Division title game and hasn't been seen since...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

The less talked about move that McD made early was letting Robert Woods leave the building. 2 consecutive 1000 yards seasons with the Rams. Hard worker. Good blocker. 

Watkins didn’t really pan out and was a good trade away but boy oh boy could the Bills and Allen used Woods in a big way. 

Yes.  That was a mistake.  

Even after Beane came in and rebuilt the scouts completely, that first season they acted as though they didn't scout WR at all - as though they were just going off stats and draft position.  Hey, Jordan Matthews had 73 receptions for 804 yds and Robert Woods had 51 receptions for 613 yds so Matthews > Woods as a receiver.  Hey, Kelvin Benjamin was a 1st round pick with 1000+ and 900+ yd seasons his first 2 years and Sammy Watkins was a 1st round pick with 1000+ and 900+ yd seasons his first 2 years so about the same quality.  Same thing. 

Drove me nuts.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Can you imagine this place if, by some miracle, McCoy had actually played yesterday and ran for, like, 110 yards and a TD?

There would be dozens of threads merged into one 100 megathread bemoaning his exit to KC.

But, alas, he disappeared in the Division title game and hasn't been seen since...

He didn't even dress yesterday which says something about him as one would think he's better than their other RB unless Reid knows he can get more out of the other players (see play on ST or better speed etc). I'm not trying to hate Shady as loved his time here but he might not be what he used to. 

18 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Because you would....  We know 0-2 I'm the playoffs too.

I'm just saying the records are almost identical to the prior three years that was considered a dumpster fire.....

I love the false narrative.  

This thread is about Watkins and I maintain they traded him out of spite for the prior regime not his production on field.

what's the false narrative?  they're identical records with very different outcomes.  

28 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

He didn't even dress yesterday which says something about him as one would think he's better than their other RB unless Reid knows he can get more out of the other players (see play on ST or better speed etc). I'm not trying to hate Shady as loved his time here but he might not be what he used to. 

He's done. 

It was a solid cut by Beane.

19 minutes ago, teef said:

what's the false narrative?  they're identical records with very different outcomes.  

The false narrative is the dumpster fire and taking over a terrible team.  

We all know year one was a fluke pass that got them in the playoffs and year 3 a very easy schedule was the primary reason.

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

To me its not Sammy hate it is Sammy beware I supported him while he was here......

He does not have the mentality of a 1.....he gets paid like a 1.....I would take him like I would take Corey Davis...but Davis would definately be cheaper

You mean like wanting the ball in a run 1st O and Tyrod Taylor at the helm?

Myself personally John, WR's need to develop chemistry with the QB. It doesn't happen overnight. Patrick Mahomes and Sammy Watkins are developing good chemistry now as Watkins becomes more instrumental in the Chiefs quest for a championship.

Sammmy Watkins would be a 1 WR on the Bills roster IMO.

Sammy Watkins should be the 1 WR on the Bills roster...

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

uh you just made a comment  in the SB that this is not a big deal..

I'm sooo confused? ;)  :)  :D :D 

2 minutes ago, Figster said:

You mean like wanting the ball in a run 1st O and Tyrod Taylor at the helm?

Myself personally John, WR's need to develop chemistry with the QB. It doesn't happen overnight. Patrick Mahomes and Sammy Watkins are developing good chemistry now as Watkins becomes more instrumental in the Chiefs quest for a championship.

Sammmy Watkins would be a 1 WR on the Bills roster IMO.

Sammy Watkins should be the 1 WR on the Bills roster...

Sammy Watkins is a number two wideout.  He hasnt had over 700 yards or 60 catches in the league in 4 years.  He has had one 1000 yard season in 6 years.

Give me a break on the chemistry thing with Mahomes, A. It shouldnt take two years and countless offseason practices to develop "chemistry" with a quarterback B.  He has had three 100 yard games in two seasons with the Chiefs.

He has had a good post season, but my God he had two catches against the Patriots.  If Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce arent on that team Sammy is an afterthought.

He is a talented player, who is about the 8th best player from his own draft class.   To date John Brown has had a better career, so actually he is a number 2 on this team just like he is on the Chiefs, number three if you count Kelce.   

The Watkins stuff really needs to die here.   He is on his third team in 6 years, and is being overpaid for his production.  I am amazingly glad he doesnt play here anymore.    A lot of Bills fans are just really good at being jilted lovers, and hypercritical on the most inane topics.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The false narrative is the dumpster fire and taking over a terrible team.  

We all know year one was a fluke pass that got them in the playoffs and year 3 a very easy schedule was the primary reason.

got it.  so the people who were screaming they wanted results with the team are the same ones who now say it's not good enough.

you can discount the way this team got into the playoffs anyway you want, but this staff has gotten there 2 times in 3 years, which no other staff has been able to do over a 17 years span.  is this team a finish product?  of course not.  it's still moving forward.

let me ask you a question.  is this team is better shape now that it was 3 years ago?  yes or no.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

What remains relevant however are legitimate concerns about this regime’s priorities and competencies when it comes to building an offense.  Simply put the jury is still out. Can they scout and draft good players on offense?  Other than Singletary they’ve mostly struck out.  Does their pro personnel department know how to find hidden gems like Mostert?  Do they have a sound and sustainable approach to winning games, which includes scoring points?  McD continues to give lip service to the need to score more points then insists on roster decisions that favor “leadership in the position groups” over talent on offense.  These guys were very fortunate not to screw up their raw rookie QB with the borderline criminally negligent supporting cast they surrounded him with (no line, QB coach, vet QB mentor in camp, decent WR, etc.) - Allen is an extremely tough, intelligent, resilient player and person which saved their hides because many other young QBs would’ve been permanently screwed up after that sh-show.  So that probably saved McBeane’s job.  We all need to hope they make the most of their mulligan and not mistake their good luck for skill or sound strategy.

This is the biggest question heading into off-season #4 with McD.  Is he going to change his stripes and embrace a high-powered offense featuring the QB they used so many resources to acquire?  Or will he remain the HC who tried to sit on a 16 point lead in the wild card round and believes his defense is key to winning in the post-season? 

I would think year 3 of Allen they'll take the training wheels off the offense and trying to score more than their 20 points per.  Organizational strategy needs to change this off-season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

uh you just made a comment  in the SB that this is not a big deal..

I'm sooo confused? ;)  :)  :D :D 

Don't be.  Many in this thread are bemoaning that Watkins is gone and caught a rare TD pass yesterday and is headed to the SB.  Given the ocean of McCoy acolytes here, I was imagining the response of McCoy played and had an equally rare big game for the Chiefs yesterday.

Simple. 

6 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Sammy Watkins is a number two wideout.  He hasnt had over 700 yards or 60 catches in the league in 4 years.  He has had one 1000 yard season in 6 years.

Give me a break on the chemistry thing with Mahomes, A. It shouldnt take two years and countless offseason practices to develop "chemistry" with a quarterback B.  He has had three 100 yard games in two seasons with the Chiefs.

He has had a good post season, but my God he had two catches against the Patriots.  If Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce arent on that team Sammy is an afterthought.

He is a talented player, who is about the 8th best player from his own draft class.   To date John Brown has had a better career, so actually he is a number 2 on this team just like he is on the Chiefs, number three if you count Kelce.   

The Watkins stuff really needs to die here.   He is on his third team in 6 years, and is being overpaid for his production.  I am amazingly glad he doesnt play here anymore.    A lot of Bills fans are just really good at being jilted lovers, and hypercritical on the most inane topics.

I'm a fan of Sammy Watkins and will continue to be, thats my business. Getting shuffled around is a big part of the problem IMO. Sammy Watkins loved Buffalo, wanted to come and play for the Buffalo Bills. 

Amazingly glad a talented player doesn't play for Buffalo? A player who could and in all likelihood would have helped the Bills go deeper into the playoffs?

I'm not the one that sounds jilted...

Edited by Figster

11 hours ago, BillsVet said:

How many Bills fans actually know how a 21st century GM builds a roster?  After the likes of Donahoe, Marv/DJ, Buddy, and Whaley no one who started following the team during those years as a Bills fan could.  That is, unless they just don't follow front office trends around the league.  

It's why there's typically an angry response whenever a poster reveals that other rebuilds were much faster.  There are enough successful rebuilds by the 3rd complete season in the past decade that it should prompt Bills fans to wonder why McD has slow-walked Buffalo's rebuild.  

I guess at this point people will chime in to say OBD is doing it the right way and that's why it takes so long.  If that's the case, how did Philadelphia, Seattle, San Fran, and the LA Rams fast-track theirs and why shouldn't Buffalo be expected to do that either?  

Honestly, with regard to those teams’ fast rebuilds, it is literally ALL about their QBs. They are all basically .500 to sub-.500 teams without those QBs (ie, SF last year). Allen isn’t nearly as good right now as Wilson, Garrapolo (who is incredibly accurate and a great processor), Wentz, or Goff (who, lest we forget, was great in 2017 and 2018). If the Bills get to the next level, it will be because Allen begins to excel and improve upon the major holes in his game. After watching Mahomes and Wilson continually hit on deep throws, I believe that Josh A will never become a true franchise QB if he continues to be notably poor deep thrower. It is up to him.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Honestly, with regard to those teams’ fast rebuilds, it is literally ALL about their QBs. They are all basically .500 to sub-.500 teams without those QBs (ie, SF last year). Allen isn’t nearly as good right now as Wilson, Garrapolo (who is incredibly accurate and a great processor), Wentz, or Goff (who, lest we forget, was great in 2017 and 2018). If the Bills get to the next level, it will be because Allen begins to excel and improve upon the major holes in his game. After watching Mahomes and Wilson continually hit on deep throws, I believe that Josh A will never become a true franchise QB if he continues to be notably poor deep thrower. It is up to him.

this.