Sammy Watkins: New Teams, Same Bad Attitude

6 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Definitely agree.  People will look for any reason they can to beat up on the guy.  His stat sheet would be off the charts with just about any other team.  KC really spreads the ball around to it's WRs.  The #1 guy in that O is also the TE.

He's been on two other teams...and his stats were nowhere near 'off the charts' so why would team #4 be different?

7 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Kelce is a TE.

Well, shoot, Now that you mention it he wouldn’t be  a high end passing option.

and it changes nothing given it could’ve been tyreek and about 4 if their receivers listed there anyway 

3 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

He's been on two other teams...and his stats were nowhere near 'off the charts' so why would team #4 be different?

when healthy he had a run of off the charts here. Just too short a window. 

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

Well, shoot, Now that you mention it he wouldn’t be  a high end passing option.

and it changes nothing given it could’ve been tyreek and about 4 if their receivers listed there anyway 

when healthy he had a run of off the charts here. Just too short a window. 

Yep. His 9-game run to end 2015 was perhaps the best half-season of WR play this millennium 

• Like (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

what’s funny too is he was like the the 4th option on that TD play he had today. Mahomes has all day and everyone else was covered. Don’t get me wrong— it was a nice catch and route (and gorgeous throw), but he is not out there against the other team’s no. 1 CB as the no. 1 option. 

KC is a great spot for him where he can be in line after about 5 or 6 other better and more consistent weapons.

we watched him play fine against CB1 plenty here 

26 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

How did I know we would see these posts?

Watkins is never healthy and is mostly an afterthought in the KC offense.

He got some looks today cause the Titans focused on the speed guys and Kelce...good for him.

Still wouldn't want him on my team for the production at his salary 

let’s go get some of those speed guys and kelce and overpay a wr while we still can 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Like the Rams?

I like Sammy a lot and agree with the argument that he's a still a weapon that this team needs, but he's never going to be that #1 guy. I don't know if it's all between the ears, or his injuries, or some combination of the two but it's not happening. I don't doubt that he could be the most skilled #3 in the league though (I'm assuming Kupp is no longer really a 3).

No WR on the Kc roster had 1000 yards.

Watkins is their #2 WR not 3rd.

Sammy's career and ability has been hampered by foot injuries and even with that I think he would be a number one on most teams.

You are dilusional if you think John Brown (who I like) is a better WR than Watkins.

The Rams are 4 deep and Cooks #s look pedestrian because of it.  They also make very little use of their TE and RBs compared to an Andy Reed offense.

Right now Josh is still developing so it isn't that easy to make an accurate assessment of our WRs.  Lets not forget that Robert Woods was a terrible WR according to many on this board.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Yep. His 9-game run to end 2015 was perhaps the best half-season of WR play this millennium 

People forget that....  The guy got injured in year 3, it happens....  And then they flush him & the O down the toilet in 2017, for what?

He did nothing bad on the field as a Buffalo Bill.....  

And the hate because they traded up to get him?  Or is it because in McD we trust????  Maybe he skipped a Prayer Group?????  

16 minutes ago, Rico said:

He had the stench of Whaley all over him, much like everyone in here who is crying that that he's gone.

Did Darby, Gilmore and Watkins all have the stench of Whaley on them?

So if the Chiefs win in two weeks......then the stench of Whaley will have collected a SB ring in prominent roles each of the 3 years since he was fired?

So the tally would be Bills 0-54 in seasons with a SB win...........stench of Whaley 3-3.?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Sammy's career and ability has been hampered by foot injuries and even with that I think he would be a number one on most teams.

You are dilusional if you think John Brown (who I like) is a better WR than Watkins.

I'm not following your first point at all, sorry. I didn't mention 1000 yards, but Tyreek Hill is the clear #1 on that team.

Watkins is their third receiving option, at least. I see him as a #3 guy in the league, although I'm not going to argue against him being a #2. Point is he's not a #1.

John Brown is not as physically gifted as Sammy Watkins, but he is absolutely a better wide receiver than Sammy Watkins. It happens, if physical talent was everything then Charles Rogers would have lasted for more than 3 seasons.

I like Sammy a lot and have said that he's a viable weapon that flashes #1 upside, but just isn't consistent enough to be a true #1. What more do you want?

Edited by Nelius

34 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Agree. So he's not a leader, not everyone is. Good production these last two key games. Not worth the elite dollars but a really good receiver nonetheless. I just don't see the need to demonize the guy because he didn't work out here in Buffalo.

He was working out just fine in Buffalo (some injuries unfortunately, but was health training camp 2017).......  The problem was not enough targets.

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Did Darby, Gilmore and Watkins all have the stench of Whaley on them?

So if the Chiefs win in two weeks......then the stench of Whaley will have collected a SB ring in prominent roles each of the 3 years since he was fired?

So the tally would be Bills 0-54 in seasons with a SB win...........stench of Whaley 3-3.?

Gilmore didn't, he was a Buddy boy. Darby did, but he didn't smell as much as Sammy.

13 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

It’s honestly tough to say whether John Brown would be better than Sammy. Sammy barely registers targets for the most explosive offense in football, despite going against far inferior cover guys than Hill and Kelce draw. And this, after being a total non-factor for an explosive LA Rams offense. 

I think the hate you see is Watkins is a disappointment production-wise and is too inconsistent and injury prone. The other hate is it seems like he doesn’t really have competitive fire. His comments about being down during the Texans game is evidence of that, as is the fact that he seems he would rather join a team to be the 3rd option, than try to go out and be the man somewhere. 

23 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

The Rams are 4 deep and Cooks #s look pedestrian because of it.  They also make very little use of their TE and RBs compared to an Andy Reed offense.

Right now Josh is still developing so it isn't that easy to make an accurate assessment of our WRs.  Lets not forget that Robert Woods was a terrible WR according to many on this board.

Goff and/or McVay simply like targeting their slot receiver Kupp more often. Watkins is a great fit with KC and there are not many WRs better than Hill or Kelce atm

Plus Swatkins is banged up

Watkins makes our WR corps NFL competent. Not every move Beane makes is perfect. Tired of the Beane glorification

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Nelius said:

I'm not following your first point at all, sorry. I didn't mention 1000 yards, but Tyreek Hill is the clear #1 on that team.

Watkins is their third receiving option, at least. I see him as a #3 guy in the league, although I'm not going to argue against him being a #2. Point is he's not a #1.

John Brown is not as physically gifted as Sammy Watkins, but he is absolutely a better wide receiver than Sammy Watkins. It happens, if physical talent was everything then Charles Rogers would have lasted for more than 3 seasons.

I like Sammy a lot and have said that he's a viable weapon that flashes #1 upside, but just isn't consistent enough to be a true #1. What more do you want?

I like your enthusiasm, but I don't think anyone outside of Buffalo would agree. Sammy is much better than Brown who is limited in ability. You are being extra salty when you call him a #3. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

which Whaley players had his stench and which just needed to be hosed down to be good?

No doubt his draft picks had the stench. Anyone else who was already here could be hosed down and possibly salvaged (ala Kyle Williams). The 2 outliers were Shaq Lawson (wants that $) and Lorenzo (defies all logic).