Sammy Watkins: New Teams, Same Bad Attitude

3 hours ago, Rico said:

Sammy is an interesting case. I never had a problem with him when he was here, and I was genuinely shocked when he was traded away. I didn't really speak out because I believed in giving the brand-new regime a chance. Since then, I have noticed some of the names of the posters who continue to miss & defend him the most, and now I am very, very happy his punk ass is gone. :)

I fully understand it's January, but I nominate this post of the year.

This has staying power.

• Haha (+1) 1

Players who suck and have bad attitudes:

Stephon Gilmore

Shady McCoy

Sammy Watkins

Marshawn Lynch

Players who are awesome and have great attitudes despite what the results in high school, junior college, college, and the NFL say because his coaches and teammates always hold him back so it’s totally not his fault:

Josh Allen

Player who really isn’t that good and only looks good because his receivers make him look good:

Pat Mahomes

Player who simultaneously the Bills would never want because he only looks good because he has a great QB throwing him dimes but also makes his mediocre QB look good by being a weapon that Josh Allen doesn’t have thus giving his mediocre QB an unfair advantage:

Sammy Watkins again

12 minutes ago, Billl said:

Stephon Gilmore

Shady McCoy

Sammy Watkins

Marshawn Lynch

Players who are awesome and have great attitudes despite what the results in high school, junior college, college, and the NFL say because his coaches and teammates always hold him back so it’s totally not his fault:

Josh Allen

Player who really isn’t that good and only looks good because his receivers make him look good:

Pat Mahomes

Player who simultaneously the Bills would never want because he only looks good because he has a great QB throwing him dimes but also makes his mediocre QB look good by being a weapon that Josh Allen doesn’t have thus giving his mediocre QB an unfair advantage:

Sammy Watkins again

Oh look, guy that’s only here to rip Bills’ fans and Josh Allen found a way to rip Bills’ fans and Josh Allen in a thread about a Chiefs’ WR.

?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Weak take .... so is our QB an immature loser because of his body language in the WC game?

6 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Youre 100% correct but for some reason people on this board still think Sammy is more than an average number two wideout

If it takes him 12 years to do so its not that impressive.  You need to normalize stats to get the real story.  He was picked number 4 overall.  He is and always was a bust.

Perhaps your definition of “bust” should include some research.... google Russell,  Jamarcus and get back to us. 

I hate hearing people here talk about ex-Bills players. But, it does allow us to see how ######ed most of the posters here are.

There is a reason Watkins and Gilmore are coveted, despite what the noise on here indicates. 

giphy.webp

Edited by Paulus

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Oh look, guy that’s only here to rip Bills’ fans and Josh Allen found a way to rip Bills’ fans and Josh Allen in a thread about a Chiefs’ WR.

?

Sir please don't feed the troll. And if by some insane chance they aren't a troll, then they're just stupid. Either way it's a waste.

Other than the three 1st rounders Whaley spent on him, I never quite got the Sammy hate.  I'll never forget the game against the Lions where he reached back one-handed and tipped the ball to himself for the catch.  He made some plays here that I'd never seen before by other WR's.  He wasn't a McBeane guy, and we moved on.  Fine.  The schadenfreude toward him from this board is unnecessary.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Weak take .... so is our QB an immature loser because of his body language in the WC game?

Perhaps your definition of “bust” should include some research.... google Russell,  Jamarcus and get back to us. 

Right because the only bust in the entire history of the NFL draft was Jamarcus Russell. 

Sammy was picked 4th overall, the expectation for a player picked that high is at the very least to be a long term number#1 wideout.  To this point, he has been an average number 2, to an above average #3.   He was the first wideout picked in that draft and to current he is at best the 8th most productive wideout from that class.  Beckham, Evans, Robinson, Cooks, Landry, Adams, and John Brown have all had better careers to this point.   If Martavis Bryant keeps his nose clean he is the better wideout to this point too.

He has been oft injured (played one full season ever), has only had more than 60 receptions in a season once, has 1 (barely) 1000 yard season, and only caught more than 5 touchdowns in three of his six seasons. 

Sorry, but he is a draft bust. 

And for the guy saying if he plays another six years he will be top 50 in yards all time.   These are his last four years worth of reception yardage, 430, 593, 519, and 673, he may get to top 50 all time in yardage, but in reality the guy is having a Peerless Price type of career.

Edited by thenorthremembers

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Right because the only bust in the entire history of the NFL draft was Jamarcus Russell. 

Sammy was picked 4th overall, the expectation for a player picked that high is at the very least to be a long term number#1 wideout.  To this point, he has been an average number 2, to an above average #3.   He was the first wideout picked in that draft and to current he is at best the 8th most productive wideout from that class.  Beckham, Evans, Robinson, Cooks, Landry, Adams, and John Brown have all had better careers to this point.   If Martavis Bryant keeps his nose clean he is the better wideout to this point too.

He has been oft injured (played one full season ever), has only had more than 60 receptions in a season once, has 1 (barely) 1000 yard season, and only caught more than 5 touchdowns in three of his six seasons. 

Sorry, but he is a draft bust. 

IMO being a bust, and not reaching your expectations are two totally different animals 

4 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

IMO being a bust, and not reaching your expectations are two totally different animals 

How so?  They are literally the exact same thing.   Jamarcus Russell also didnt reach his potential.   The difference is no one gave him another shot.

Using your logic you're essentially stating guys like Blaine Gabbert, and David Carr weren't busts because they outlasted their first team.   Watkins is JAG in the NFL right now, and was taken in the Top 5 of a draft, he is 100% a bust.     Agree to disagree, but Watkins was drafted to be DeAndre Hopkins and he ended up being Kendall Wright.

16 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

See my post at the bottom of page one. The SI story undercuts this narrative. 

I read it. I had to laugh at the "God's not gonna make the same mistake" thing, haha. Athletes and the lord, I guess I don't quite get it. But if you follow his IG or anything, you'd think he's part of some kinda alien-worship cult, always posting about how he's an alien and he's on StarShip14 and yadda, yadda, ya. Weird dude. Talented, not quite what people thought he'd be, though.

• Like (+1) 1

The OP is a good dude but I think this is a bit of a stretch.  

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

How so?  They are literally the exact same thing.   Jamarcus Russell also didnt reach his potential.   The difference is no one gave him another shot.

Using your logic you're essentially stating guys like Blaine Gabbert, and David Carr weren't busts because they outlasted their first team.   Watkins is JAG in the NFL right now, and was taken in the Top 5 of a draft, he is 100% a bust.     Agree to disagree, but Watkins was drafted to be DeAndre Hopkins and he ended up being Kendall Wright.

He has 12 more tds than Wright.  We we say bust, you don’t look at the circumstances.  He played on a high school offense, with bad qbs, and rushed back from a foot injury.  Yup, he hasn’t lived up to his draft status and probably never will.  Yet, 2 of the best offensive coaches in the entire league wanted him and he is in the playoffs for 3rd straight year playing on one of the best offenses.  

not a star but certainly is doing well for himself. 

• Like (+1) 1

To me, a bust is a player that's drafted high and turns out to be a bad player when healthy. Sammy is a pretty good player that never lived up to being an elite player like people expected. That isn't a bust; it's just a letdown. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Billl said:

Stephon Gilmore

Shady McCoy

Sammy Watkins

Marshawn Lynch

Josh Allen

Pat Mahomes

Sammy Watkins again

I wish I could understand any of this.  Try taking a few deep breaths before posting next time.

Like anyone drafted by the Bills I want to see them succeed as a Bill.  When they dumped him for nothing it was an indication to me that the Bills were not going all in.  As a Bill, while not to that point living to expectations, there was plenty of upside & all this about attitude is dung.  How about looking at Diggs in a playoff game that they're winning & talk about that?

As a Bill, if they targeted him like a #1 10X's/game, I'm sure the results would have been vastly different.

The thread though is from another disgruntled poster, who lays all the blame on Whaley and the prior staff and their .500 record 2014-16 & trumpets the McD era & their 25-25 record (and wildcard appearances at 9-7 & 10-6).....  

Edited by Billsfan1972

18 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Only posting this since some folks have mentioned him as a potential FA WR target, and said he's grown and matured since his last run with the Bills.

This tells me differently.

I like that that the $8 million guy told the $16 million guy to straighten out.