Sammy Watkins: New Teams, Same Bad Attitude

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I don't actually disagree with you all that much, but there are shades of grey here. The reason why Watkins is so tantalizing for fans is because when he's on, he's as talented as any receiver you'll see in the NFL. He's THAT talented (you could even see it yesterday). But yeah, the production has never matched the talent. He's still pretty young, so who knows. It'll be interesting to see if KC keeps him next season - he's entering year 3 of a 3-year contract. 

I agree with his level of talent.  He truly is an enigma, someone who has tremendous explosion, really good speed, a pretty good route runner and a great frame.

His problem aside from being injury prone is and has always been whats in between his ears.  There is little need to rehash the numbers and quantifiable proof that he has been a tremendous disappointment pretty much everywhere he has gone.  What gets me is that earlier this year there was a time when Tyreek Hill was injured and Sammy had every chance to shine.  I honestly thought going into this year that THIS would be his year.  That FINALLY he would show what he could do and started off with that amazing first game. You know the game where he had 9 catches nearly 200 yards receiving and 3 Touchdowns.   Wow!  I mean, just Wow!

The rest of the year even with Tyreek out for some games he had 43 catches 475 with 0 touchdowns.  Not only was he not catching the ball or getting touchdowns but averaged 10.5 yards per reception the remainder of the year.

I mean, what happened?  Yes, he was injured and missed a couple more games but early in the season when Tyreek was out he was healthy.  

Up to now, aside from him getting PAID, his football career has been almost tragic in the sense that it was the player with all this talent who never lived up to expectations.  You're right in that he isn't old, he is in his prime.  Maybe he turns it around.  

1 hour ago, Billy Claude said:

I don't see anything that he should be criticized for.  They were losing, he was depressed, a teammate told saw this and told him to buck up and he did.

Whats wrong with that?

Ya the OP is definitely reading too much into that tweet to suit their agenda.  Confirmation bias. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Magox said:

There is no rational case for anyone to not agree with what I stated.   The only ones who disagree are the ones who vehemently thought that the sky was falling and were calling for Beane's head at the time and were so sure that it was the wrong decision and despite all the evidence, his lousy lack luster numbers, his continued penchant for being injured and not showing up for most of games that mattered, they can't admit that Beane made the right decision.  

It was the one of the most polarizing topics this board had witnessed over the past decade and they were so knee deep in that corner they just can't seem to come around to the same conclusion.  Doesn't matter, that opinion is held by a dwindling few.

I'm just glad that I was one of the ones from the very beginning to make the case why it was the right decision.  

Sammy had 76 receiving yards yesterday.  In the last two Bills playoff games, the leading WRs from each game combined for 73 yards.  Good thing Josh didn't have a guy who runs a 4.4, gets separation, can outjump every corner in the league, and is a YAC machine when he faced the Texans in the playoffs last week.

• Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

OOO Know Body language, and how did he react when a leader addressed it.  Yep he played very well and contributed to a Win.  This says NOTHING about a bad attitude jesus

Bills fans are so thin skinned.  

If Allen slouches his head on sideline, or Oliver looks Sad because they are getting beat 24-0 are we going to want to run them out of town screaming BAD ATTITUDE.

go look at Browns and Beasley body language at times do they have Bad Attitudes?

Well no, not right now, right now they are competitive. Only after they leave Buffalo do they all of a sudden have bad attitudes ?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

He had 90 yards from scrimmage yesterday and plays for a team that regularly distributes the ball to seven guys.  Judging KC stats is hard to do because of how widely Mahomes distributes the ball. 

The fanboys also need to realize he had two catches in that game. One coming when the Chiefs already had a big lead. He’s not terrible, but his production isn’t at the level of where he was drafted, and thought of as a generational talent. He’s benefited from being on the Chiefs. His numbers are far from impressive there, they’d be very pedestrian on a typical offense. The dude was supposed to be dominant. 

49 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Andy Reid can explain it to you.     Swap out Duke/McKenzie for Sammy and this teams still playing.  

I’ve never seen Sammy catch that pass Duke dropped in the end zone. His inability to make contested catches was one of my biggest criticisms of him. Sammy is average with Mahomes, he’d no more productive than Brown was this season. Plus he’s hurt half the season. 

Edited by SirAndrew

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

The fanboys also need to realize he had two catches in that game. One coming when the Chiefs already had a big lead. He’s not terrible, but his production isn’t at the level of where he was drafted, and thought of as a generational talent. He’s benefited from being on the Chiefs. His numbers are far from impressive there, they’d be very pedestrian on a typical offense. The dude was supposed to be dominant. 

It’s telling to our situation that he would be a #1 in Buffalo when he is like the 4th best option in the passing game for KC.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Troll Toll said:

It’s telling to our situation that he would be a #1 in Buffalo when he is like the 4th best option in the passing game for KC.

I agree, but still believe John Brown was just as productive as Sammy could have been last season. Watkins isn’t DeAndre Hopkins or Michael Thomas. Brown had a good season, but people will always assume Watkins is better because he was drafted higher, and came into the league with more hoopla. John Brown isn’t dominant, but neither is Sammy Watkins. 

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Yeah, this is really a poor attempt to thrown shade at Sammy.  Everybody on that sideline and every fan of the Chiefs had poor body language at 24-0.  It's human nature.  Stop saying he is not mature, that's foolish

Sammy touched the ball 3 times yesterday for 90 yards. If used properly he can still produce. Kelce & Hill are getting 95% of the touches I'm not saying we should ever bring him back but when healthy he can still produce. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I’ve never seen Sammy catch that pass Duke dropped in the end zone. His inability to make contested catches was one of my biggest criticisms of him. Sammy is average with Mahomes, he’d no more productive than Brown was this season. Plus he’s hurt half the season. 

I watched the condensed replay today. Watkins was targeted twice and had two catches for 76 yards.  Interestingly enough, the Texans jumped offside twice in that game.  Both times, Mahomes threw it deep to him.  When Pat had a free play, Watkins was his guy to target.

1 hour ago, Billy Claude said:

I don't see anything that he should be criticized for.  They were losing, he was depressed, a teammate told saw this and told him to buck up and he did.

Whats wrong with that?

And then he made some plays for his team on the field to help them win. 

5 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I agree, but still believe John Brown was just as productive as Sammy could have been last season. Watkins isn’t DeAndre Hopkins or Michael Thomas. Brown had a good season, but people will always assume Watkins is better because he was drafted higher, and came into the league with more hoopla. John Brown isn’t dominant, but neither is Sammy Watkins. 

I agree, I don’t want us to pursue Watkins, just calling it like I see it.

• Like (+1) 1

Sammy would be a luxury for the Bills.     There will always be questions about his availability.  I'm curious if he gets yet another big payday.  I also wonder if we will ever see that huge year from him.    Sure looks like the crazy explosiveness is still there

Sammy is an interesting case. I never had a problem with him when he was here, and I was genuinely shocked when he was traded away. I didn't really speak out because I believed in giving the brand-new regime a chance. Since then, I have noticed some of the names of the posters who continue to miss & defend him the most, and now I am very, very happy his punk ass is gone. :)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1