Sammy Watkins: New Teams, Same Bad Attitude

Some more context that might shift the (false) narrative going on in this thread in a more positive direction re Watkins: https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/01/13/nfl-playoffs-divisional-round-49ers-titans-chiefs-packers-head-coaching-carousel-mmqb

"

As the Texans were burying the Chiefs under 24 points at the suddenly-silent Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City receiver Sammy Watkins sought out rookie Mecole Hardman with a pointed message.

You’re gonna do something to spark us.

And spark them, he did.

A Houston field goal had just made it 24–0 with just under 11 minutes left in the first half when Hardman took the kickoff and found a seam right up Main Street. The second-round pick hit it, then cut to a wide-open right of the field. Fifty-eight yards later, the game was changed for good.

“He sparked us,” Watkins said a few hours after the fact. “We went down there and scored, and after that, we were on fire. Energy was contagious, everybody just feeding off each other. And it just kept on, trickled down into the defense getting stops and turning the ball over, and we’re scoring and we couldn’t be stopped.”

---

[And the best part!!!]

The Chiefs have had a tougher path than last year’s team did, and they’re not going to let a play like Dee Ford lining up offside at the least opportune time get them again, as it did last season against the Patriots. The players they’ve been hardened by its experience. We’ll know in a few days.

“It’s stuck with us a lot,” Watkins said, referencing last year’s title game. “And I tell people, ‘Man, I don’t think God’s going to make another mistake.’ We took that one to the chin pretty hard. And now we’ve got the same opportunity coming.

---

I love it! You know he played WR for the Bills if he starts blaming God for making mistakes in game outcomes!!

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Haha (+1) 2

This kid was the consensus #1 WR in a draft that included OBJ, Mike Evans, Jarvis Landry, Brandin Cooks, Davonte Adams and John Brown. And to a lesser extent K. Benjamin, Q. Enumwa, Marquise Lee, Jordan Matthews and Allen Robinson.

What happened to this kid? Well, at least he got paid but talk about underachieving.

Edited by billsbackto81

4 minutes ago, Steptide said:

He wasn't terrible here, he just wasn't worth what the bills paid for him. He also had Ej manuel, Kyle Orton and tyrod Taylor throwing to him. He's like the 5th option in the kc offense right now. His numbers would probably improve if he went somewhere with less talent. I wouldn't want him back though, and I doubt the coach that traded him would re sign him 

He gets way too much crap around here.  There are plenty of first round picks who are total busts.  Sammy is still only 26 years old and has 4200 yards and 31 TDs.  He could easily end up with 10,000 career yards which would be top 50 all time.

• Like (+1) 2

If Watkins was signed by Buffalo, he'd come back here and not know anyone or even recognize the facilities.  It would a new team for him -- a new QB, new coaches, new everything.  Whatever happened before, happened.  Professional move on.

1 minute ago, billsbackto81 said:

This kid was the consensus #1 WR in a draft that included OBJ, Mike Evans, Jarvis Landry, Brandin Cooks, Davonte Adams and John Brown.

What happened to this kid? Well, at least he got paid but talk about underachieving.

He had 90 yards from scrimmage yesterday and plays for a team that regularly distributes the ball to seven guys.  Judging KC stats is hard to do because of how widely Mahomes distributes the ball. 

• Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Magox said:

The book has been closed, Beane made the right decision.

Youre 100% correct but for some reason people on this board still think Sammy is more than an average number two wideout

6 minutes ago, Billl said:

He gets way too much crap around here.  There are plenty of first round picks who are total busts.  Sammy is still only 26 years old and has 4200 yards and 31 TDs.  He could easily end up with 10,000 career yards which would be top 50 all time.

If it takes him 12 years to do so its not that impressive.  You need to normalize stats to get the real story.  He was picked number 4 overall.  He is and always was a bust.

7 minutes ago, Utah John said:

If Watkins was signed by Buffalo, he'd come back here and not know anyone or even recognize the facilities.  It would a new team for him -- a new QB, new coaches, new everything.  Whatever happened before, happened.  Professional move on.

And he would likely be our #1. 

I don't see this as a big deal or a sign of him being immature. The start of that game yesterday definitely did not go how anyone anticipated, KC included. He was probably just more shell-shocked then anything, like, "What the hell's going on?" 

And I really never minded when he spoke out while he was here in Buffalo. He was on some teams that weren't the most "together" group of guys like we see now under McDermott. It was the Whaley era so it was a roster constructed without too much concern for how a guy was going to fit into their culture, if they even had one at that point. Him biting back at folks on Twitter is a little lame. It's kinda like the stories I've read of Mayfield and O'Brien chirping back at fans in the stands. It's football, and if you're the visiting team, you're the enemy. You're going to get booed, people are gonna say things, you'd think most players, especially a coach, would be able to tune it out. 

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He had 90 yards from scrimmage yesterday and plays for a team that regularly distributes the ball to seven guys.  Judging KC stats is hard to do because of how widely Mahomes distributes the ball. 

Yeah.  That bum only has 252 receiving yards and counting in the postseason since signing that big free agent contract.

4 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Youre 100% correct but for some reason people on this board still think Sammy is more than an average number two wideout

If it takes him 12 years to do so its not that impressive.  You need to normalize stats to get the real story.  He was picked number 4 overall.  He is and always was a bust.

There is no rational case for anyone to not agree with what I stated.   The only ones who disagree are the ones who vehemently thought that the sky was falling and were calling for Beane's head at the time and were so sure that it was the wrong decision and despite all the evidence, his lousy lack luster numbers, his continued penchant for being injured and not showing up for most of games that mattered, they can't admit that Beane made the right decision.  

It was the one of the most polarizing topics this board had witnessed over the past decade and they were so knee deep in that corner they just can't seem to come around to the same conclusion.  Doesn't matter, that opinion is held by a dwindling few.

I'm just glad that I was one of the ones from the very beginning to make the case why it was the right decision.  

• Like (+1) 1

It was interesting watching yesterday. One thing I remember about Sammy is that uncanny ability to get WIDE open. 

On the plays he made, that's exactly what he was.  We haven't had many guys like that over the years.  Even on Allen's long throws this past season, guys were pretty well covered.

I'm not sure what he did to get such a bad rep here. It's not his fault that we overvalued him.  It's hard for some fans to step back & judge a player on their merits, rather than where they were picked or what we traded for them.

Edited by Success
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I don't see this as a big deal or a sign of him being immature. The start of that game yesterday definitely did not go how anyone anticipated, KC included. He was probably just more shell-shocked then anything, like, "What the hell's going on?" 

And I really never minded when he spoke out while he was here in Buffalo. He was on some teams that weren't the most "together" group of guys like we see now under McDermott. It was the Whaley era so it was a roster constructed without too much concern for how a guy was going to fit into their culture, if they even had one at that point. Him biting back at folks on Twitter is a little lame. It's kinda like the stories I've read of Mayfield and O'Brien chirping back at fans in the stands. It's football, and if you're the visiting team, you're the enemy. You're going to get booed, people are gonna say things, you'd think most players, especially a coach, would be able to tune it out. 

See my post at the bottom of page one. The SI story undercuts this narrative. 

22 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

This kid was the consensus #1 WR in a draft that included OBJ, Mike Evans, Jarvis Landry, Brandin Cooks, Davonte Adams and John Brown. And to a lesser extent K. Benjamin, Q. Enumwa, Marquise Lee, Jordan Matthews and Allen Robinson.

At the time, Buffalo was a graveyard for talented players. Look at all the players who didn't work out here, but had success elsewhere:

Peters, Watkins, Gillmore, Lynch, Woods, Whitner, Fitzpatrick, Byrd, Greer, Goodwin, etc.

Edited by chongli

4 minutes ago, Magox said:

There is no rational case for anyone to not agree with what I stated.   The only ones who disagree are the ones who vehemently thought that the sky was falling and were calling for Beane's head at the time and were so sure that it was the wrong decision and despite all the evidence, his lousy lack luster numbers, his continued penchant for being injured and not showing up for most of games that mattered, they can't admit that Beane made the right decision.  

It was the one of the most polarizing topics this board had witnessed over the past decade and they were so knee deep in that corner they just can't seem to come around to the same conclusion.  Doesn't matter, that opinion is held by a dwindling few.

I'm just glad that I was one of the ones from the very beginning to make the case why it was the right decision.  

I don't actually disagree with you all that much, but there are shades of grey here. The reason why Watkins is so tantalizing for fans is because when he's on, he's as talented as any receiver you'll see in the NFL. He's THAT talented (you could even see it yesterday). But yeah, the production has never matched the talent. He's still pretty young, so who knows. It'll be interesting to see if KC keeps him next season - he's entering year 3 of a 3-year contract. 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Only posting this since some folks have mentioned him as a potential FA WR target, and said he's grown and matured since his last run with the Bills.

This tells me differently.

OOO Know Body language, and how did he react when a leader addressed it.  Yep he played very well and contributed to a Win.  This says NOTHING about a bad attitude jesus

Bills fans are so thin skinned.  

If Allen slouches his head on sideline, or Oliver looks Sad because they are getting beat 24-0 are we going to want to run them out of town screaming BAD ATTITUDE.

go look at Browns and Beasley body language at times do they have Bad Attitudes?

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Funny thing is, if Sammy had never played for the Bills, and had the exact career elsewhere, we would think it was a solid signing to bring him in to Buffalo, at the right price.

I still would like to have him- at about 5 million a year due to his inability to stay healthy. But some one will give him at least 40 for 4 years.