Buzzergate update (Again) Update: Beltran, Cora, Hinch & Luhnow (fired) for illegale sign stealing - compare to NFL & The Patsies

Reed83HOF

Just now, cgg716 said:

You believe deterrence is the goal... I’d contend it’s PR and in turn disingenuous 

You come across as one who dances around the issue then condones it.

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The strangest sentence to read in the article was this:

"Then he left to take over his own team, brought the underhanded tactics he learned in Houston to Boston, and won another World Series."

For some reason I still read Superbowl instead of World Series :oops:

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Don Otreply said:

You come across as one who dances around the issue then condones it.

The contention is simple, I don’t condone it. I’m mearly stating they allowed it, all teams have stolen signs, since forever, and MLB has basically said, hey Houston, you were really good at this thing we allowed, pay for it. Did the same with steroids 

1 minute ago, cgg716 said:

The contention is simple, I don’t condone it. I’m mearly stating they allowed it, all teams have stolen signs, since forever, and MLB has basically said, hey Houston, you were really good at this thing we allowed, pay for it. Did the same with steroids 

Your verbiage says you condone it.

2 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

No, it's actually ok for baserunners to steal signs. You simply can't use technology to do it. It's clear cut, and the Astros and Red Sox are the only teams who have been caught. 

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

Also the Red Sux Maganer Cora is in deeeeep crapola

So compare Manfred to Goddell and how MLB vs the NFL handle cheating scandals?

Well, one is trying to keep a beautiful game.  The other is the WWE and they are proud of it.  

Goodell is essentially like the head of the NCAA.  The owners in the NFL are a cartel like the big sports factory Universities and when they tell him to jump he jumps.  When people need someone to get mad at, Goodell and Emmert or whoever heads the NCAA now are essentially paid to take the heat.  That’s their job description.  Don’t rock the boat and take heat for the owners.  The NFL has gone downhill since the Jerry Jones’s and Kraft’s became the most powerful owners instead of Rooney and Mara.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

Everyone steals signs, everyone always has, MLB basically just suspended people for being too good at something they’ve allowed for ages. And equally importantly something they can not and will not stop going forward 

Stealing signs is fine. Everything that surrounded the stealing of those signs is NOT fine. Pretty easy to see, actually.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

When we catch more successful teams in the next few seasons, it will make sense 

Bigger picture...

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Red Sox are next.?

Cora should get a double dose.

I’m a Red Sox fan and I have to agree. If the reports are accurate that Cora instigated this setup in Houston and introduced whatever in Boston (there’s more investigation ongoing for that), I’d probably push for a 5-year ban. No wiggle room for this stuff. So disappointed in them / any manager or players that knew and used it and did nothing. ?

1 hour ago, wppete said:

Patriots and Bellicheck should get the same punishment. The Patriots have been cheating for years and have been caught at least 3 times!!!!

With the past history of videotaping, Goodell had better figuratively throw the book at the Pars* organization. If Belichick does not get at least a year suspension, it’s not justice. I don’t give a hoot if they can’t find anything that he ordered it. In the NCAA they call it “lack of institutional control” in punishments where the coach isn’t implicitly involved... but that s/he hadn’t done anything to ensure the kind of act didn’t happen. WRT Belichick et al and ?, there can be absolutely NO reason an employee can do this and BB sidesteps punishment.

Edited by UConn James
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, UConn James said:

I’m a Red Sox fan and I have to agree. If the reports are accurate that Cora instigated this setup in Houston and introduced whatever in Boston (there’s more investigation ongoing for that), I’d probably push for a 5-year ban. No wiggle room for this stuff.

With the past history of videotaping, Goodell had better figuratively throw the book at the Pars* organization. If Belichick does not get at least a year suspension, it’s not justice. I don’t give a hoot if they can’t find anything that he ordered it. In the NCAA they call it “lack of institutional control” in punishments where the coach isn’t implicitly involved... but that s/he hadn’t done anything to ensure the kind of act didn’t happen. WRT Belichick et al and ?, there can be absolutely NO reason an employee can do this and BB sidesteps punishment.

Every coach on staff, the GM, assistant GM, pro scouts, etc., should be dismissed from the Patriots if the videotaping allegations are true.

Enough is enough.

50 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Major League Baseball was also the first league to have to really address PED because they were being used in all sports.

It is a well known fact that Major League Baseball has served as the model for all four major sports here because of numerous factors such as it’s longevity but it’s also been the sport that commonly takes on divisive issues head on. If they’re not the first to address certain issues, they’re typically the first to get things right (I.e. domestic abuse). 

Say what?

NFL started testing in '87 and suspending in'89.

MLB put out a memo in '90 saying steroids were "strictly prohibited".   Then the rest of the 90's happened and it was obvious to every viewer the world over for YEARS that juicing was going on.  In '96 17 players hit 40 or more HRs.  MLB's response....another memo!  This one again reminded players and clubs to discourage the use of "illegal" substances.

'97 and McGuire hit 70.  He was found to have the steroids at his locker during the season---still nothing.

'99 Sosa and McGuire hot over 60.

What did MLB do next?  Nothing!  but 2 years later they figured they might have to do....something.  So they started random testing and penalties.....for the minor leagues only!  Same year, '01, Bonds breaks the HR record.

Finally, after Ken Caminiti spoke to SI and the story blew the lid off, MLB started the lamest of testing schedules....and no penalty for first time offenders!  The BALCO and 2004 came penalties for first time offenders.

So, nearly 20 years after the NFL at least started to test.  The MLB had to be pulled kicking and screaming into the acknowledgement that their lead was completely penetrated with PEDS for at least a dozens years.

That's some "model" for other leagues.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1