Buzzergate update (Again) Update: Beltran, Cora, Hinch & Luhnow (fired) for illegale sign stealing - compare to NFL & The Patsies

Reed83HOF

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I played in college and we changed signs every 3 innings.

Watch near the end of this video when they talk about the signs and decoding them - apparently a phone app exists for it and the buzzer can be buzzed via bluetooth

21 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Say it ain’t so

Tough to say what's real and what isn't but it looks like a lot of players are fed up and this thing is bubbling over. I am sure some is just internet BS - hard to tell real vs not right at this moment

2 minutes ago, chongli said:

Why should she be fired? 
Is it not dirty Fiers played for them, boosted his value, then made the issue public after he left. If it was so important to him why not make it public while you’re on the team? After the game during interview time say “I’m not going to continue playing for a team that cheats” 

He profited from it, then when it was convenient blew the whistle and made the whole thing public. He’s just as guilty for participating and then protecting it isn’t he? 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Why should she be fired? 
Is it not dirty Fiers played for them, boosted his value, then made the issue public after he left. If it was so important to him why not make it public while you’re on the team? After the game during interview time say “I’m not going to continue playing for a team that cheats” 

He profited from it, then when it was convenient blew the whistle and made the whole thing public. He’s just as guilty for participating and then protecting it isn’t he? 

Yeah, definitely, Fiers is guilty. And so is Mendoza. This is what she said:

"But to go public, it didn't sit well with me. It made me sad for the sport that that's how all this got found out. This wasn't something that MLB naturally investigated or that even other teams complained about it because they naturally heard about and then investigations happen. It came from within. It was a player that was a part of it. That benefitted [sic] from it during the regular season when he was a part of that team. ... It's something you don't do. I totally get telling your future teammates, helping them win, letting people know. But to go public with it and all them out, it's hard to swallow."

She blamed Fiers for exposing the cheating!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, chongli said:

"But to go public, it didn't sit well with me. It made me sad for the sport that that's how all this got found out. This wasn't something that MLB naturally investigated or that even other teams complained about it because they naturally heard about and then investigations happen. It came from within. It was a player that was a part of it. That benefitted [sic] from it during the regular season when he was a part of that team. ... It's something you don't do. I totally get telling your future teammates, helping them win, letting people know. But to go public with it and all them out, it's hard to swallow."

I read it, I just don’t see the harm in what she said. It’s not because the truth was found out. 
It’s because he didn’t have a problem with it when he was on the team, and because he went public with it when he should of let the league handle it. He could of told his story to MLB and let them do what they need to do. 
Maybe he did and they didn’t take it serious, either way he’s not the one to say anything because he profited off of it and for all we know was a part of it. Wasn’t his place to tell the world. If he wanted to be the one to tell the world he should of done it while he was playing there. 

48 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

This is cheating. But I don’t think it’s half as bad as it’s being made out to be. Don’t teams change up signals throughout the game? 
Especially when there’s rumors of sign stealing. And even if you know the curveball is coming it’s still not easy to hit. Pitchers don’t always hit their spot. 
I get why it’s dirty I just think it’s being overblown. 
In the grand scheme of sport I think the Pats stuff is much much worse. 
People are talking banning players for life and vacating the World Series title and this being worse than Pete rose, maybe I’m missing some of the story. 

So you think once they changed signals the new signals weren’t quickly decided and the updated info relayed as quickly as possible to the players? 

Page 12 of 12  

11 minutes ago, chongli said:

I heard that she clarified her comments later claiming she thought Fiers should have exposed it through 'proper channels', i.e - the team and/or MLB instead of through the Athletic. Which is kind of dumb because how would she know that he didn't do just that only to have it get buried. Wouldn't be the first time a major sport squelched a cheating scandal.

Also very sketchy that she made any public comment since she's employed by the Mets.

Edited by SinceThe70s
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBill963 said:

So you think once they changed signals the new signals weren’t quickly decided and the updated info relayed as quickly as possible to the players? 

It’s possible. Still gotta be able to hit that pitch though. 
I’m not trying to give anyone a pass over it, just think it’s being made into a much bigger deal than it is. 

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

This is cheating. But I don’t think it’s half as bad as it’s being made out to be. Don’t teams change up signals throughout the game? 
Especially when there’s rumors of sign stealing. And even if you know the curveball is coming it’s still not easy to hit. Pitchers don’t always hit their spot. 
I get why it’s dirty I just think it’s being overblown. 
In the grand scheme of sport I think the Pats stuff is much much worse. 
People are talking banning players for life and vacating the World Series title and this being worse than Pete rose, maybe I’m missing some of the story. 

There are hitters that can't hit a curve but kill fastballs.   Others can't hit a fastball but kill a curve.    Knowing what is coming is a great advantage.   

I have always hated Pete Rose's attitude about his scandal, but what Pete did never affected the outcome of a game.  In my mind what he did is insignificant when compared to using electronic means to call pitches.    If they could ban Pete for what he did, the others should receive the same treatment.

Edited by Greybeard
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

There are hitters that can't hit a curve but kill fastballs.   Others can't hit a fastball but kill a curve.    Knowing what is coming is a great advantage.   

I have always hated Pete Rose's attitude about his scandal, but what Pete did never affected the outcome of a game.  In my mind what he did is insignificant when compared to using electronic means to call pitches.    If they could ban Pete for what he did, the others should receive the same treatment.

I agree there’s advantages to it. But every team tries to steal signs. Maybe Houston is the only ones going digital, but baseball is going to have to figure that out before they start banning people. Cause they may end up banning quite a lot of big name players. 
Also if I have read correctly managers are not protected that’s why they can act quickly on front office personnel, if they want to go after players they’ll be battling the union and that can literally kill the whole game. 

29 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I read it, I just don’t see the harm in what she said. It’s not because the truth was found out. 
It’s because he didn’t have a problem with it when he was on the team, and because he went public with it when he should of let the league handle it. He could of told his story to MLB and let them do what they need to do. 
Maybe he did and they didn’t take it serious, either way he’s not the one to say anything because he profited off of it and for all we know was a part of it. Wasn’t his place to tell the world. If he wanted to be the one to tell the world he should of done it while he was playing there. 

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

It’s possible. Still gotta be able to hit that pitch though. 
I’m not trying to give anyone a pass over it, just think it’s being made into a much bigger deal than it is. 

I don’t agree with the still have to hit the pitch point. A huge part of being a big league hitter is recognizing pitches by spin, or making educated guesses based on pitch count, pitcher tendencies, etc.

At that level most hitters can put bat to ball if they know exactly what’s coming.

If this was valid why have signs at all? Just tell all batters what’s coming.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, NobesBLO13 said:

I don’t agree with the still have to hit the pitch point. A huge part of being a big league hitter is recognizing pitches by spin, or making educated guesses based on pitch count, pitcher tendencies, etc.

At that level most hitters can put bat to ball if they know exactly what’s coming.

I get it, not trying to justify what happened was ok or not an advantage. Other teams get  signs as well. Don’t know if they have gone digital as I stated before but all teams are trying to steal signs every game. It’s literally tradition in baseball. I’m not sure how often this strategy of theirs was used, but it’s not like their numbers were super juiced up. 
I would fully agree it’s an advantage over other teams though, if the other team has not decoded your signs 

24 minutes ago, NobesBLO13 said:

When baseball is played at its highest level it is a damn near perfect sport.  It is so balanced between offense and defense that the slightest variation can make a huge difference.  This BS robs from that balance because the offense employs resources simply not available to the defense.  A guy leading off second and trying to signal the batter is one thing and a batter sneaking a peak is another.  They can be combatted.  This crap can't be.  

And its its really not all that different from what the Patriots are still doing.

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

I get it, not trying to justify what happened was ok or not an advantage. Other teams get  signs as well. Don’t know if they have gone digital as I stated before but all teams are trying to steal signs every game. It’s literally tradition in baseball. I’m not sure how often this strategy of theirs was used, but it’s not like their numbers were super juiced up. 
I would fully agree it’s an advantage over other teams though, if the other team has not decoded your signs 

They were super juiced. There is a huge difference in knowing if a fastball is coming or if it is an off speed pitch. For instance: