Buzzergate update (Again) Update: Beltran, Cora, Hinch & Luhnow (fired) for illegale sign stealing - compare to NFL & The Patsies

Reed83HOF

6 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

To be fair, the Astros aren't really the MLB cash cow and premier team like the Pats. Now if this was the Yankees accused of this, I'm sure it would have been swept under the rug just like the Pats and the NFL.

I'm not surprised they were fired for this, but we're they the ones fully responsible? Did the owner know what was going on and encouraged it or just turn a blind eye to it? Also weren't the Astros just in trouble recently for providing or forging false medical records for players in trades? They also recently fired one of their other front office guys this offseason after comments he made to female reporters in the locker room  who were known to be against the team getting the former Jays closer who was suspended for beating his girlfriend/wife

Red Sox got slapped in 2017 for using Apple watches to relay signals and it was met with a milder penalty, but everyone was put on notice:

"Taking all of these factors as well as past precedent into account, I have decided to fine the Red Sox an undisclosed amount which in turn will be donated by my office to hurricane relief efforts in Florida.  Moreover, all 30 Clubs have been notified that future violations of this type will be subject to more serious sanctions, including the possible loss of draft picks."

If you watched the world series video from the 2017 Astros, you can clearly see the set up and where the set up was located - there is no way this was not known at the highest levels of the organization - it was in their championship video...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, H2o said:

If they got a Lombardi then Kraft could care less how ethical it may be. He'd get them a year membership to the local Asian "massage parlor" of their choice during their suspension. 

Yup, and the Astros got a WS championship out of this but I think their owner was under more pressure after the other recent incidences they have had

The Astros should forfeit their titles like they do in College sports. For the owner to say this scandal and punishment doesn't tarnish 2017, etc., only shows he should have been suspended/banned as well

11 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

To be fair, the Astros aren't really the MLB cash cow and premier team like the Pats. Now if this was the Yankees accused of this, I'm sure it would have been swept under the rug just like the Pats and the NFL.

I'm not surprised they were fired for this, but we're they the ones fully responsible? Did the owner know what was going on and encouraged it or just turn a blind eye to it? Also weren't the Astros just in trouble recently for providing or forging false medical records for players in trades? They also recently fired one of their other front office guys this offseason after comments he made to female reporters in the locker room  who were known to be against the team getting the former Jays closer who was suspended for beating his girlfriend/wife

To be fair, MLB banned, and continues to keep Pete Rose away from the game.

Arguably the greatest hitter of all time.

MLB doesn’t care what team, player, manager, whatever......

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

Yup, and the Astros got a WS championship out of this but I think their owner was under more pressure after the other recent incidences they have had

The difference in the leagues seems to be in how the other owners feel about this.  In the MLB, where teams pretty much have to make their own money--they are obviously steamed and forced the Astros owner to fire these guys.

In the NFL, you hardly heard a peep out of any of the owners.

Just now, Binghamton Beast said:

To be fair, MLB banned, and continues to keep Pete Rose away from the game.

Arguably the greatest hitter of all time.

MLB doesn’t care what team, player, manager, whatever......

That's one player from decades ago, who has had chances to be let back in if he would admit to it and apologize IIRC and he has refused to do so, then he also had an issue not to long ago come out regarding and underage girl IIRC. And he played for the Reds, also not one of the league's premier franchises.....

If we’re making disingenuous comparisons across corporations that couldn’t be more different other than that they’re both entertainment industries, let’s not forget that MLB ignored a decade long scandal that almost crippled its business and handled the fallout of damage control in one of the worst possible ways.

MLB isn’t a model for the NFL.

Edited by eanyills

4 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

That's one player from decades ago, who has had chances to be let back in if he would admit to it and apologize IIRC and he has refused to do so, then he also had an issue not to long ago come out regarding and underage girl IIRC. And he played for the Reds, also not one of the league's premier franchises.....

Pete Rose

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

The difference in the leagues seems to be in how the other owners feel about this.  In the MLB, where teams pretty much have to make their own money--they are obviously steamed and forced the Astros owner to fire these guys.

In the NFL, you hardly heard a peep out of any of the owners.

Might be true, but nothing is coming out saying anyone forced him to fire anyone. The Astros have had a bunch of issues that look bad on the team in the last couple seasons and this just adds to it.

Just now, Binghamton Beast said:

Pete Rose

Yup, I know, that's who I was talking about

Just now, BuffaloBillies said:

True... but cloud of suspicion regardless.

All im saying is - the astro's had and continue to have a lethal lineup.  Breg, Altuve, Correa, Springer - its hard to believe that this props them up like massive amounts.  I don't feel like digging through all their splits to see if home/away over the years is that big of a discrepancy.  Maybe i will before fantasy baseball season to see if its worth knocking them down a peg, but i doubt it.  

• Like (+1) 1