PSA: Windows 7 End of Life 14 Jan 2020

/dev/null

11 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

That's great, as long as you understand Chromebooks are not immune from viruses.  Neither are Linux, ChromeOS (which is a fork of Gentoo Linux), *BSD, or Mac (which is a fork of NetBSD).

Windows has such a massive share of the market that virus creators do not spend the time or effort targeting Linux, *BSD, Mac, or Chrome.  But viruses do exist, usually at the application layer for cross platform applications or the transport/protocol layer common to all OS

I have heard that but I haven't had a problem since I made the switch.  Windows (to me) always behind the eight ball when it came to security.

15 hours ago, John Adams said:

It's an 11 year old OS. For anyone still using it, it's time to move on. 

Good thing I bought Windows Millennium Edition - it's good for another 980 years!

13 hours ago, Augie said:

The only thing she needs the desktop for is Quicken. She’s 99% on my old iPad or her phone. I am afraid of the learning curve if we get her a laptop. Did I mention she’s 92 YEARS OLD? She calls me almost daily, unaware that she has done so. “Hello? Hello? HELLO???” 

Still, blessed for 92!

My laptop is a once a year for taxes thing.  I guess I have something in common with a 92 year old.

I'm not even sure why I use it for that, just a force of habit I guess.  I just recently backup up all the old files, so maybe it's officially time to move on from that machine.

21 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Reminder that tomorrow, January 14th 2020, Windows 7 reaches it's end of life.  Unless you are paying Microsoft an exorbitant amount of cash to provide updates, you will no longer receive software or security updates

Time to upgrade to Windows 10 or give Linux a try

The more I used Windows 10 the more I am sure it is not an upgrade, just a way to change how to charge you more.

I know people using older version of Windows past end of life and have no issues. Very few new viruses for end of life systems.  The concern is Microsoft based webservers which have code to try to make services unavailable to older windows users to force change and the fact that Windows 7 is not a completely stand alone OS and has connections to servers at Microsoft which no longer will be available.

I am not a Windows fan and I am a  Unix Engineer but Linux is not a choice for all users and keeping it up to date is worse than doing so for Microsoft products.   

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/13/2020 at 2:50 PM, T&C said:

I've known about this for quite awhile but let me ask you this... what exactly happens? I get that there are no new updates but if someone just browses the web... here, a couple of other boards, youtube, Bills/Sabres games etc. does it really matter?

Its not like I'm trading stocks or banking on this thing. (Acer laptop running 7)

...no more patches or support......I just spent $75,000 for new corporate licenses, Windows 10 upgrades and server licenses as well as Exchange software/licenses......no more volume pricing for small/medium size businesses.....Gates was running short on cash ......

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...no more patches or support......I just spent $75,000 for new corporate licenses, Windows 10 upgrades and server licenses as well as Exchange software/licenses......no more volume pricing for small/medium size businesses.....Gates was running short on cash ......

We have 20 laptops and 8 desktops we need to replace.  All have Win 10 licenses as we downgraded to Win 7 with our purchase 3 years ago.  Not sure if we will need new server licenses or not.

Not interested in Win 10.  Too many people who are computer illiterate and will have issues with it.  

Mac guy, but actually like Win 7.  Never really had a problem except for outlook crashing on my laptop, and the exchange server having issues a handful of times after the auto update.  Last update a week ago couldn’t connect using mobile email to the server

I transitioned over the years from Windows 3.1, to Windows 95, to Windows 98, to Windows XP, to Windows 7, to Windows 10.  

Windows 10 has a “non tiles” mode that makes it pretty easy to use for someone like me. 

I dabbled a little with Windows Vista and Windows 8, both of which were clunky and buggy, and had short lifespans. 

9 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

We have 20 laptops and 8 desktops we need to replace.  All have Win 10 licenses as we downgraded to Win 7 with our purchase 3 years ago.  Not sure if we will need new server licenses or not.

Not interested in Win 10.  Too many people who are computer illiterate and will have issues with it.  

Mac guy, but actually like Win 7.  Never really had a problem except for outlook crashing on my laptop, and the exchange server having issues a handful of times after the auto update.  Last update a week ago couldn’t connect using mobile email to the server

...10 does have some quirks......I probably have ample security hardware and software to combat any issues with 7 non-support. particularly with patches.....but it's hard for me to gamble with my premier customer base to face problems.....typical Microsoft move to force the issue....hell we still get customer spreadsheets originated on Excel 2003....

16 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...10 does have some quirks......I probably have ample security hardware and software to combat any issues with 7 non-support. particularly with patches.....but it's hard for me to gamble with my premier customer base to face problems.....typical Microsoft move to force the issue....hell we still get customer spreadsheets originated on Excel 2003....

The issue is our users and the suspect places they “May” go to.  Wouldn’t want to risk security issues by not being up to date.  

Planned obsolescence.  Apple is famous for that.  I Have a few older laptops that run great, but haven’t had updates in years.  Worse is their IOS updates that throttle the iPad and iPhones.  Makes people upgrade when the hardware is still in great shape.

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

22 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

The issue is our users and the suspect places they “May” go to.  Wouldn’t want to risk security issues by not being up to date.  

Planned obsolescence.  Apple is famous for that.  I Have a few older laptops that run great, but haven’t had updates in years.  Worse is their IOS updates that throttle the iPad and iPhones.  Makes people upgrade when the hardware is still in great shape.

There have been rumblings that Microsoft may abandon their traditional new version every so many years in favor of a subscription based Windows As A Service model.  Instead of paying $100+ every few years for a new version, users would pay a smaller annual license for a rolling release.

4 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

There have been rumblings that Microsoft may abandon their traditional new version every so many years in favor of a subscription based Windows As A Service model.  Instead of paying $100+ every few years for a new version, users would pay a smaller annual license for a rolling release.

Kinda like MS Office 365.

Not a fan of that model.  Issue is, when you have as large an installed base as they do, and not many business alternatives, they can get away with it.

We had the latest security patch at work when I got there and could do nothing productive (using M$ products) for an hour so I surfed.   IE is the official browser at work but as my boss emailed me:

If you were in the facility, then that counts as billable hours.  It’s customer's responsibility to provide the facilities to complete our work.

25 minutes ago, Q-baby! said:

You can still get the free upgrade to Windows 10. 

Some drug dealers also give free samples.

13 hours ago, Q-baby! said:

You can still get the free upgrade to Windows 10. 

13 hours ago, Limeaid said:

... Some drug dealers also give free samples.

not a drug dealer, however...

just remember to back up important files prior in case it goes sideways.

14 hours ago, /dev/null said:

HATE that.

Come to think of it, hate the current model too.

If i didn't HAVE to use windows, I wouldn't.

49 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

HATE that.

Come to think of it, hate the current model too.

If i didn't HAVE to use windows, I wouldn't.

You dont *have* to use Windows.  At work maybe, but for personal use there are alternatives to Windows

On 1/13/2020 at 2:41 PM, /dev/null said:

Reminder that tomorrow, January 14th 2020, Windows 7 reaches it's end of life.  Unless you are paying Microsoft an exorbitant amount of cash to provide updates, you will no longer receive software or security updates

Time to upgrade to Windows 10 or give Linux a try

I use both Windows 7 and Linux. I use Linux much more. I use Windows 7 primarily for Adobe applications.

I guess I'll fork over the $100 to get windows 10.