Things that will be hard to repeat in 2020

1 hour ago, Gordio said:

You make some good points OP, but a few things, I wouldn't read too much into the schedule.  On paper, we played 5 teams that made the playoffs this year & we will play 6 next year.  Teams change a ton from year to year.  Like for instance I could see the Arizona game being a tougher game than when Seattle comes to the cap.  Hopefully we could split with NE next year.  I could see Pitt being a dumpster fire.  & I think Tenn is playing way over their heads right now & could see them coming back down next year.  San Diego should be horrible, Denver is winnable, Raiders are winnable, Rams, Jets, Dolphins all winnable games.  I think KC coming up here should be winnable.  They are talking about giving mahomes a $200 million contract in the offseason, their team could be depleted in other areas with that contract(think Rams with Geoff)

A lot depends  on Allen, if he continues to imprve I think we are fine.  if he has a Trubisky set back in year 3 we won't make the playoffs.

The other thing is we need to get the stadium back to the intimidating days of the late 80s/early 90s.  The Bills need to do better than 4-4 like they did this year at home.  Hopefully there will be a lot of excitement at the stadium & it will be an intimidating place for the visiting team to play at.  

im not getting 5 this year. Are you counting pats twice? 

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

You don't see the Bills winning 5? The Jets and the Dolphins are 4 games on there own.

no I didn’t see the 5 playoff teams on the 19 schedule. 

Ravens

pats 

Titans 

philly

I’m not even close to having a feel for 2020 record right now. So much could change this off season. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1. We had nowhere close to an elite defense. It was very good but went multiple games with no forced turnovers. I don't think that will happen in 2019. Oliver will be better and they will add pass rushers. That will lead to more interceptions in 2020.

2. On paper the schedule should be more difficult but who knows. Right now it looks like Bill's beat one of the AFC championship teams. But we all know that Titans team the Bill's beat on the road is nothing like what they are now.

3. Baltimore will not have a historically good run game again. Teams are adjusting and they will add WR weapons. It remains to be seen if Lamar will continue to develop as a passer. I think he will.

4. Allen, White, and probably Hyde are the only guys where an injury might affect the season. Vegas only moves the needle for QB injuries.  Everyone else can be replaced without massive dropoff that would affect the other 10 guys. 

5. Bill's were 26th in 3ed quarter points. That can't continue and I don't think it will. If Allen progresses and they add a few more playmakers, the offense will be better.

2 hours ago, H2o said:

Honestly, with the schedule the AFCE faces as a whole next year, I think 10-6 will win the division next year and I do believe we can get there again. 

...can't see initial "panic mode" about forecasted schedule toughness.....WAAAY too many variables between now and then........injuries, trades, retirements, cuts, coaching changes and player fit decisions, FA, draft, etc...the list is endless......BUT...it sure as hell was a hammer for Blfo detractors to discount the club's success because "you played nobody"....SMH..

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

You know, I was sitting here thinking to myself what a fun season it was, and how well the Bills are situated to add to their success and become a consistent, legitimate contender, and, dadgumit, it I didn't say to myself that I hope somebody starts a thread about how we were just lucky and are just as likely to suck next year.

Thanks OP!

14 minutes ago, eball said:

You know, I was sitting here thinking to myself what a fun season it was, and how well the Bills are situated to add to their success and become a consistent, legitimate contender, and, dadgumit, it I didn't say to myself that I hope somebody starts a thread about how we were just lucky and are just as likely to suck next year.

Thanks OP!

that wasn’t my intent @eball

not negative at all. 

Was really marveling at all that went well this season appreciating it and noting that getting better is going to require substantial tangible improvement because it was quite a remarkable season.

not a worrier or fear mongerer

apologies if that’s where it took you 

11 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

that wasn’t my intent @eball

not negative at all. 

Was really marveling at all that went well this season appreciating it and noting that getting better is going to require substantial tangible improvement because it was quite a remarkable season.

not a worrier or fear mongerer

apologies if that’s where it took you 

Just joking around, man.  But it always amazes me how Bills fans will take any opportunity to "warn" themselves that the bottom could fall out at any time.

Just now, eball said:

Just joking around, man.  But it always amazes me how Bills fans will take any opportunity to "warn" themselves that the bottom could fall out at any time.

What is even more amazing is how often the bottom actually falls out. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

If the bills stand pant and dont try to improve this offense........we are going to have more losses then we did this year....book it.

I see the D being right around where it is the last two years.....in order to take the next step we HAVE to put up more points

And hold fourth quarter leads. 

15 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

If the bills stand pant and dont try to improve this offense........we are going to have more losses then we did this year....book it.

I see the D being right around where it is the last two years.....in order to take the next step we HAVE to put up more points

Yeah, I do worry that they will continue the trend of mediocre offensive additions. Instead of AJ Brown or DK Metcalf we wind up with Cody Ford and “the smurfs”.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

While there are loads of threads about what else he team needs to add or do, I wanted to open a topic listing the things that went well, improbably well, that will be hard to replicate. 

It’s natural to assume next years team will be an incremental improvement to this year, it’s not always a reasonable assumption. Here are some of the keys. 

1) schedule - not only did the bills face the worst NFC division, timing was good for a few of them. Giants got better after the QB switch. Titans weren’t all aboard the Henry Train yet, jets and dolphins were disasters, Steelers with a total mess at QB and  a bunch of other stars banged up.  They were lucky to avoid too many winning teams. The teams above 500 they did play, they lost to all but one (Titans). 

2) injuries - can you ever remember a season where almost no one was added to the IR during the year? Phillips and Alexander were the only two in season I can find. Injury wise this team did very well. They didn’t lose any stars and the few guys that were banged up, were replaced with depth so it didn’t cause too big of an issue.  In particular the o line held together most of the season, which is huge. Guess it’s improbable to impossible to have that luck again, unless they’ve got some magic hot tubs or something 

3) Elite defense. The defense was really top notch this season. They say it’s hard for defenses to stay elite, year after year. Also they really didn’t face a many elite passing QBs. Declining Brady was probably it the best QB they faced, followed by Wentz. From there the list is pretty sad. While they are returning most of the defense, I expect them to drop in the rankings a bit next year when they face Wilson, Garapollo, Goff, Carr, Mahomes and evening Kyler Murray. They also have the titans, maybe Brady Ben R and Rivers too. Next year on paper right now is a big challenge for the defense. They will be facing most of this years top teams

4) road warriors: since they played a bunch of mediocre to bad teams on the road, bills fans were able to be there en mass which greatly diminishes home field advantage not only because the lift the fans give, it’s also a seat not filled by opposing fan. How bills mafia travels next season? We will see, thank goodness the Chiefs are at new Era 

5) under the radar- one of the mantra Sean kept harping on to galvanize the team is that underdog mentality. The “everyone out there doesn’t give us a chance” message. Going into Houston, everyone picked them to win. I expect they are going to get a lot of favorable press as possible super Bowl contenders next year. The rallying cry of the world underestimating the Bills won’t pack the same punch if any at all. 

6) opposing kickers sucked. In fantasy football one of the things they rank is how well or poorly position groups fare against each team then rank them. In 2019 the Bills were 32.  Kickers preformed worse against the bills than any other team. Part of that is to do with defense, but there was a stretch early on where kickers vs bills were missing easy kicks like crazy.  This also seems unlikely to repeat. 

All in all a lot of significant things went the bills way this season, more than any season in recent memory. Let’s hope the improvement is so drastic this offseason they can still succeed even with a little less help from karma. 

#6 will be hard to repeat for sure. Kickers did miss few very important kicks against us early in the season. Sometimes that just how things go, maybe next year we will get more interceptions like tip passes and getting good bounces on the fumbles. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Troll Toll said:

Yeah, I do worry that they will continue the trend of mediocre offensive additions. Instead of AJ Brown or DK Metcalf we wind up with Cody Ford and “the smurfs”.

Cody Ford was not a bad edition.....neither were Smoke and Bease.   You can only do so much in a off season.

If Spain walks because he wants a mint you will be thank ful we have Cody Ford