Report: ESPN to make CBS' Tony Romo a historic offer to join its NFL coverage

On 1/13/2020 at 2:20 PM, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Report: ESPN to make CBS' Tony Romo a historic offer to join its NFL coverage

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-espn-to-make-cbs-tony-romo-a-historic-offer-to-join-its-nfl-coverage-033157777.html

Having tried a couple different ideas to fix its “Monday Night Football” broadcasting team, ESPN seems ready to throw money at the problem.

A lot of money.

Michael McCarthy of Front Office Sports reported that ESPN was preparing an offer to make CBS’ Tony Romo the highest-paid sports broadcaster in history. McCarthy said the offer would be between $10 million and $14 million annually to attempt to lure him from CBS. That report broke the same day Romo was calling the Houston Texans-Kansas City Chiefs playoff game for CBS. Andrew Marchand of the New York Post also reported Sunday that ESPN was expected to go “all in” for Romo.

To put that in perspective, the largest base salary Romo ever made as Dallas Cowboys quarterback was $8.5 million, according to Spotrac.

Would CBS match the offer to keep Tony Romo?

CBS will have a conundrum if the salary offer from ESPN to Romo is accurate and is officially offered.

I prefer Romo on CBS.  I hardly watch ESPN games 

good for him, take the money Tony !!

On 1/16/2020 at 2:16 PM, stony said:

Fitz is raising a small army of children only surpassed by the US Military, the Chinese PLA and the Philip Rivers Brigade.  I'd be surprised if he jumped into media after he retires.  

If I was Fitz, I would be jumping into the urologist’s office before anywhere else.

16 hours ago, Limeaid said:

He needs to agree quickly before T*m Br*dy retires and is given slot.  He can do two slots for ESPN - announcer and rules expert for anyone able to get calls like he does must know nuances of every rule.

What scares me, is the idea of Brady doing commentary on CBS. The best games the bills ever have, will have him discussing it..... He can do commentary on ESPN, i dont have cable, so ill never have to listen to him.

On 1/13/2020 at 2:52 PM, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Won’t work.

Romo and Nantz have wonderful chemistry.  Nantz by the book, academic style clash so perfectly with Romos make it up as you go commentary.

As the “voice” of the MASTERS, Nantz is engrained in the public subconscious as the astute, professional.  Which works in perfect contrast to Romo the “celebrity” playboy.

And no commentary can mAke bad games good.  And MNF games are snooze fests.

And does ESPN get the Super Bowl?  I thought it was just CBS, FOX and NBC.  So Romo would take himself out of the rotation for biggest game of the season.

Not worth it.

Nantz lets Romo hog the discussion three times as much as usual for colour commentators.

we will get sick to death of this in a few years.

these guys provide very little that we didn’t just see with our eyeballs and paying even half attention 

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...