Report: ESPN to make CBS' Tony Romo a historic offer to join its NFL coverage

On 1/13/2020 at 2:39 PM, dpberr said:

If I'm Tony Romo, I'll stay at CBS where he's paired with Jim Nantz and I get the better weekend games.  

ESPN likely pairs him with mediocre talent and Romo alone can't fix what ails their stale MNF presentation.  

Joking and not joking....working with Nantz is priceless!

On 1/13/2020 at 3:57 PM, Success said:

Romo it the best, imo.  There really isn't another announcer like him - I lost count (a long time ago) of the # of times he accurately predicted the next play/formation/outcome, as only a player could.  There are a lot of former players who are announcers, but none have displayed his level of insight.

Agreed. I often learn something when he's calling the game.

On a related note, last week I saw an Onion headline that said something like, "Tony Romo suddenly realizes that his ability to read defenses would have come in handy when he was a QB." ?

• Haha (+1) 4

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 6:37 AM, PetermansRedemption said:

I really hope he goes. It’s such a rarity to get Romo on CBS anyways. When other games are on I really don’t care as much about the announcer. Prime time, I want the best announcer. Currently, that is Tony Romo. It would drastically improve Monday Night Football. 

The best announcers should be on the best games. If he goes to ESPN, he is stuck with whatever game the NFL schedule chooses for him. I think there were only 2 or 3 monday night games that were actually good matchups. On CBS he gets the best game of the week on their network. Usually nationally televised on 4:25 when CBS gets the double header. That game is flexible. With CBS he gets Thanksgiving day, 3 playoff games every year, and a super bowl once every 3 years. ESPN, he gets 1 playoff game every year, and never a super bowl.

Edited by wagon127

10 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

The best announcers should be on the best games. If he goes to ESPN, he is stuck with whatever game the NFL schedule chooses for him. I think there were only 2 or 3 monday night games that were actually good matchups. On CBS he gets the best game of the week on their network. Usually nationally televised on 4:25 when CBS gets the double header. That game is flexible. With CBS he gets Thanksgiving day, 3 playoff games every year, and a super bowl once every 3 years. ESPN, he gets 1 playoff game every year, and never a super bowl.

and he possibly gets paid way more

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Geeez...ESPN... I used to regard ESPN as the gold standard for sports broadcasting. Now, they are Patriots homers of the worst kind. Some years ago, my Facebook account was suspended for several days, after I referred to ESPN commentators as 'wearing knee pads emblazoned with the NE Patriots logo'.

They are a sensitive bunch over there in Bristol.... :flirt:

Cool made up story.

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 1:38 PM, J-GunJoshAllen17 said:

The production is still going to be terrible.  I would rather see him stay at CBS.  Romo will make ESPN broadcasts better but there are a lot of things other than  the announcers that make ESPN cringe worthy to watch.  Example, in the Bills/Texans game everyone missed the 2nd half TD because ESPN was too eager to go to their sideline reporter to get the scoop nobody cared about. 

I know what you mean, and I don't disagree....but I have to say, I do miss Monday Night Football being "can't miss tv".  The last few years (though ratings were apparently up this year), I just don't get too excited about it anymore, unless it is a particularly interesting (or Bills-centric) matchup.  At one time, I would never miss a Monday Night Football game...now it is almost as bad as those Thursday Night games.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 1/13/2020 at 2:52 PM, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Won’t work.

Romo and Nantz have wonderful chemistry.  Nantz by the book, academic style clash so perfectly with Romos make it up as you go commentary.

As the “voice” of the MASTERS, Nantz is engrained in the public subconscious as the astute, professional.  Which works in perfect contrast to Romo the “celebrity” playboy.

And no commentary can mAke bad games good.  And MNF games are snooze fests.

And does ESPN get the Super Bowl?  I thought it was just CBS, FOX and NBC.  So Romo would take himself out of the rotation for biggest game of the season.

Not worth it.

If Mike Tirico was still at ESPN he'd be a good match up with Romo. Yet I agree him and Nance are great and hate to lose them together during non prime time games yet ultimately I'm not watching the game for commentary so even if he goes to prime time I likely won't watch the game unless am interested in the matchup. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

and he possibly gets paid way more

For less work. Seems like a win win. He would have to work one day a week, and it is always Monday. 

32 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

If Mike Tirico was still at ESPN he'd be a good match up with Romo. Yet I agree him and Nance are great and hate to lose them together during non prime time games yet ultimately I'm not watching the game for commentary so even if he goes to prime time I likely won't watch the game unless am interested in the matchup. 

I feel Tessitore would be a good match with Romo. I’ve never minded him all that much. 

OK.  That is an insane amount of money to throw at a color commentator.  Here's how CBS should respond:  Let Romo go and make a play for Fitz to replace Romo.  Fitz is smarter, funnier, knows/has worked with more people throughout all levels of NFL franchises and probably has established more good will than most any other player currently in the league.  His limitations in talent and "fearless, swimming in the cesspool" style of play should offer him plenty of perspective on NFL matters big and small, whether on the field or off.  He probably knows more coaches, has been a teammate to more players and is on a first name basis with more NFL media professionals than anyone else.  He has played in 5 of the 8 NFL divisions with 3 stints in the AFC East and 2 in the AFC South.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

OK.  That is an insane amount of money to throw at a color commentator.  Here's how CBS should respond:  Let Romo go and make a play for Fitz to replace Romo.  Fitz is smarter, funnier, knows/has worked with more people throughout all levels of NFL franchises and probably has established more good will than most any other player currently in the league.  His limitations in talent and "fearless, swimming in the cesspool" style of play should offer him plenty of perspective on NFL matters big and small, whether on the field or off.  He probably knows more coaches, has been a teammate to more players and is on a first name basis with more NFL media professionals than anyone else.  He has played in 5 of the 8 NFL divisions with 3 stints in the AFC East and 2 in the AFC South.  

Fitz is raising a small army of children only surpassed by the US Military, the Chinese PLA and the Philip Rivers Brigade.  I'd be surprised if he jumped into media after he retires.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stony said:

Fitz is raising a small army of children only surpassed by the US Military, the Chinese PLA and the Philip Rivers Brigade.  I'd be surprised if he jumped into media after he retires.  

I think it's pretty much a part time, Friday to Sunday gig for 24 weeks or so.  Compared to the health risks of playing and the time dedicated to OTA's, minicamp, training camp and then the regular season weekly grind, I'd bet he could sell that to Liza real easy.  I think Fitz would slay that job.

• Like (+1) 1