Report: ESPN to make CBS' Tony Romo a historic offer to join its NFL coverage

2 hours ago, dpberr said:

If I'm Tony Romo, I'll stay at CBS where he's paired with Jim Nantz and I get the better weekend games.  

ESPN likely pairs him with mediocre talent and Romo alone can't fix what ails their stale MNF presentation.  

Good points, analysis.  Money is great, but not if it means a diminished broadcast and less progression for Romo.

I am not a big fan of his, though I think he is decent.  I want Phil Simms to return to game action.  Dan Fouts is the best right now, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The current play by play guy for ESPN -- Joe Tessitore -- is flat out terrible. He makes Joe Buck sound like a rank amateur in the overdramatic department. If they don't get rid of him, even Romo won't be able to cover up the stink. 

This.  I re-watched the end of regulation of our playoff game to see the tying FG drive and Tessitore exclaimed, "NEVER in the history of the NFL has a postseason game been tied at 19 going to overtime!"

And I thought to myself "so...?"

The guy is horrible.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DCbillsfan said:

Yep.  Joe Tessitore is terrible.  I usually have it on mute for MNF games.

He and Booger are, by far, the worst announcers. I'm so tired of ESPN trying to personalize the game with trivial, moronic facts that virtually no one cares about.

Tessitore: "There's yet ANOTHER tackle by 3-time Defensive Player of the Year JJ Watt, who seems to single-handedly be taking over this game, and that was his 28th tackle since November when, coincidentally, Watt's step-sister, who was initially adopted by a family of dwarves in Muskogee, PA opened a serve-yourself yogurt shop in a town close to the city of, you guessed it, Watts. CA."

Booger: "So that's just a good, heads up play by Watt's step-sister to bring delicious frozen desserts to people who usually eat their dessert after their main meal. Just really good stuff."

Alternately, the Romo bit yesterday when the cameras were on Reid and Kelce with Kelce trying to convince Reid to put him back in the game was hysterical.

• Haha (+1) 1

This has always made NO sense to me. You watch the game(s) because it is either: your team playing, or two good teams playing, NOT because who is announcing the games.

Yes, I agree that Romo brings some good insight, BUT, if the Monday night matchup is Bengals vs. Redskins, I'm not watching even if Jesus Christ is in the booth.

The same theory goes for all the young nubile eye candy the sports networks give jobs to. It's truly baffling.

Romo is great.  He watches the games as a QB, figuring out the defense and talking about what would work and what won't.  Most color announcers are just repeating the same old information about the players that everyone knows.  

If ESPN got Romo and replaced Tessitore their MNF ratings would go way up.  The salary cost would be budget dust for ESPN.

19 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Good points, analysis.  Money is great, but not if it means a diminished broadcast and less progression for Romo.

I am not a big fan of his, though I think he is decent.  I want Phil Simms to return to game action.  Dan Fouts is the best right now, in my opinion.

...didn't ESPN cut 100+ positions awhile back because they're tanking?....so Romo wants to walk the plank on the SS Minnow?.....

3 hours ago, dpberr said:

If I'm Tony Romo, I'll stay at CBS where he's paired with Jim Nantz and I get the better weekend games.  

2 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Won’t work.

And does ESPN get the Super Bowl?  I thought it was just CBS, FOX and NBC.  So Romo would take himself out of the rotation for biggest game of the season.

Not worth it.

Did you read the part where they would be offering him 10-14 million a year?

Edited by Mr. WEO

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...didn't ESPN cut 100+ positions awhile back because they're tanking?....so Romo wants to walk the plank on the SS Minnow?.....

They're only cutting the dead weight. They have room for a big fish.

Yeah, if they could get rid of the worst color commentator (Though Fouts might have something to say about this) and replace him with the best I’m all for that.

Really, getting rid of Booger for anybody on a nationally televised game where I have no alternative football has got my approval. 

3 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

He is very good.  Enthusiastic, funny, and informative without being Collinsworthy preachy. 

True, but his booth mechanics need work. His feet are NEVER pointing towards the field during his commentary!

3 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

To put that in perspective, the largest base salary Romo ever made as Dallas Cowboys quarterback was $8.5 million, according to Spotrac.

I'm not making a statement on his play, but he's a better broadcaster than he was a QB

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

This has always made NO sense to me. You watch the game(s) because it is either: your team playing, or two good teams playing, NOT because who is announcing the games.

Yes, I agree that Romo brings some good insight, BUT, if the Monday night matchup is Bengals vs. Redskins, I'm not watching even if Jesus Christ is in the booth.

The same theory goes for all the young nubile eye candy the sports networks give jobs to. It's truly baffling.

Regardless of who is playing - if the announcers are Beth Mowins and Rex Ryan - do you still enjoy the game (with the sound on)?

I get your point - to a point.   I'm not a person who normally ever focused on or cared much about who the announcers are - am more interested in the game itself - but the trash production that these networks are coming up with is getting ridiculous.  I yearn - yearn - for the days when you could tune in a national game and hear those great familiar voices, who actually knew how to call a game.  Michaels to me is one of last ones left.  It's crazy they can't find better talent - and crazier still they can't find people who don't actually impact the broadcast negatively.  

9 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Regardless of who is playing - if the announcers are Beth Mowins and Rex Ryan - do you still enjoy the game (with the sound on)?

I get your point - to a point.   I'm not a person who normally ever focused on or cared much about who the announcers are - am more interested in the game itself - but the trash production that these networks are coming up with is getting ridiculous.  I yearn - yearn - for the days when you could tune in a national game and hear those great familiar voices, who actually knew how to call a game.  Michaels to me is one of last ones left.  It's crazy they can't find better talent - and crazier still they can't find people who don't actually impact the broadcast negatively.  

Even worse is the pre & post game shows with 5 and 6 people on the set.  All they do is yell over each other.  Really bad production.