Report: ESPN to make CBS' Tony Romo a historic offer to join its NFL coverage

43 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

As long as Booger goes and Witten stays retired from broadcasting I'm in.

What about the play by play guy. Booger is bad but that guys is 10x worse. Calls every single play like it's a last second game winning touchdown in the Superbowl. Unbearable.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Process said:

What about the play by play guy. Booger is bad but that guys is 10x worse. Calls every single play like it's a last second game winning touchdown in the Superbowl. Unbearable.

Yep.  Joe Tessitore is terrible.  I usually have it on mute for MNF games.

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Won’t work.

Romo and Nantz have wonderful chemistry.  Nantz by the book, academic style clash so perfectly with Romos make it up as you go commentary.

As the “voice” of the MASTERS, Nantz is engrained in the public subconscious as the astute, professional.  Which works in perfect contrast to Romo the “celebrity” playboy.

And no commentary can mAke bad games good.  And MNF games are snooze fests.

And does ESPN get the Super Bowl?  I thought it was just CBS, FOX and NBC.  So Romo would take himself out of the rotation for biggest game of the season.

Not worth it.

Nance is the astute professional except when he is covering the Cheatriots. Then he is gushing all over Kraft and company and has a man crush on Brady.

• Like (+1) 1

I get that money wins over everything else. But CBS, he usually calls the best game for their network each week. He calls 3 playoff games every year, and a Super Bowl every 3 years. Calling Monday Night football is not a better opportunity at all. Curious if the money reported is actually true.

2 hours ago, dpberr said:

If I'm Tony Romo, I'll stay at CBS where he's paired with Jim Nantz and I get the better weekend games.  

ESPN likely pairs him with mediocre talent and Romo alone can't fix what ails their stale MNF presentation.  

Since neither you or I will be offered $14 to broadcast a game, lets not pretend what our reaction to being offered $14 million would be. 

Romo it the best, imo.  There really isn't another announcer like him - I lost count (a long time ago) of the # of times he accurately predicted the next play/formation/outcome, as only a player could.  There are a lot of former players who are announcers, but none have displayed his level of insight.

On a side note, I sometimes felt like I was the only Booger fan in America. It seems like he got a lot of criticism, but I always found him entertaining.

• Like (+1) 1

....earlier reports ( Aug 2019) had floated the $10 mil/yr number.....anything north of $ 10 mil can probably help him squeeze by......if they're both in that neighborhood, the Nantz pairing makes more sense.....ESPN...pffffft.........

Reports: Tony Romo wants CBS to make him the highest-paid NFL analyst on TV

Romo's representatives at Creative Artists Agency are reportedly asking for $10 million per year.

By SportsDay Staff-Dallas Morning News

7:44 PM on Aug 29, 2019

Much like Cowboys running back  Ezekiel Elliott, former quarterback Tony Romo wants to be the highest-paid at his position.

With his initial three-year contract with CBS is set to expire at the end of this season, and negotiations for a new deal have reportedly stalled, with little progress.

In a story on frntofficesport.com, Michael McCarthy reports that Romo's representatives at Creative Artists Agency are asking for $10 million annually. His current deal is $4 million a year. If he gets his way, Romo would be the first sports analyst to score an eight-figure contract.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2019/08/29/reports-tony-romo-wants-cbs-to-make-him-the-highest-paid-nfl-analyst-on-tv/

4 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

I hope Romo gets paid but to stay at CBS

ESPN MNF as whole is the worst NFL broadcast.  Not just the announcers, the complete product.  The whole Disney production is so far below the quality of CBS, Fox, and NBC.

...stratospheric numbers, but worth leaving a mil or two on the table to stay at CBS.......ESPN is dreadful............

• Like (+1) 1