Report: ESPN to make CBS' Tony Romo a historic offer to join its NFL coverage

Report: ESPN to make CBS' Tony Romo a historic offer to join its NFL coverage

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-espn-to-make-cbs-tony-romo-a-historic-offer-to-join-its-nfl-coverage-033157777.html

Having tried a couple different ideas to fix its “Monday Night Football” broadcasting team, ESPN seems ready to throw money at the problem.

A lot of money.

Michael McCarthy of Front Office Sports reported that ESPN was preparing an offer to make CBS’ Tony Romo the highest-paid sports broadcaster in history. McCarthy said the offer would be between $10 million and $14 million annually to attempt to lure him from CBS. That report broke the same day Romo was calling the Houston Texans-Kansas City Chiefs playoff game for CBS. Andrew Marchand of the New York Post also reported Sunday that ESPN was expected to go “all in” for Romo.

To put that in perspective, the largest base salary Romo ever made as Dallas Cowboys quarterback was $8.5 million, according to Spotrac.

Would CBS match the offer to keep Tony Romo?

CBS will have a conundrum if the salary offer from ESPN to Romo is accurate and is officially offered.

I prefer Romo on CBS.  I hardly watch ESPN games 

• Like (+1) 5

The production is still going to be terrible.  I would rather see him stay at CBS.  Romo will make ESPN broadcasts better but there are a lot of things other than  the announcers that make ESPN cringe worthy to watch.  Example, in the Bills/Texans game everyone missed the 2nd half TD because ESPN was too eager to go to their sideline reporter to get the scoop nobody cared about. 

They do that stuff way too often.  Shot's of TJ Watt and girlfriend, etc.  It's not ESPN anymore, it's Disney and they have an agenda to bleed sports and entertainment together more than ever before.  Every once in a while is one thing but it is constant on that network.  They do it to the detriment of the game.  That's why I really don't watch MNF anymore unless it's a great matchup.

Edited by J-GunJoshAllen17
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

If I'm Tony Romo, I'll stay at CBS where he's paired with Jim Nantz and I get the better weekend games.  

ESPN likely pairs him with mediocre talent and Romo alone can't fix what ails their stale MNF presentation.  

• Like (+1) 16

Won’t work.

Romo and Nantz have wonderful chemistry.  Nantz by the book, academic style clash so perfectly with Romos make it up as you go commentary.

As the “voice” of the MASTERS, Nantz is engrained in the public subconscious as the astute, professional.  Which works in perfect contrast to Romo the “celebrity” playboy.

And no commentary can mAke bad games good.  And MNF games are snooze fests.

And does ESPN get the Super Bowl?  I thought it was just CBS, FOX and NBC.  So Romo would take himself out of the rotation for biggest game of the season.

Not worth it.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Won’t work.

Romo and Nantz have wonderful chemistry.  Nantz by the book, academic style clash so perfectly with Romos make it up as you go commentary.

And no commentary can mAke bad games good.  And MNF games are snooze fests.

And does ESPN get the Super Bowl?  I thought it was just CBS, FOX and NBC.  So Romo would take himself out of the rotation for biggest game of the season.

Not worth it.

There's speculation that ABC could get a package of games after the tv contracts run out in 2022 so they could essentially get a Super Bowl in 2023.  A lot of it hinges on the next CBA and whether the NFL will extend to 17 games.  Upgrading from Booger to Romo doesn't hurt their chances.  I'm sure that Tessitore will be replaced.

https://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/abcs-best-shot-at-a-nfl-tv-package-is-gaining-some-momentum.html

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, dpberr said:

If I'm Tony Romo, I'll stay at CBS where he's paired with Jim Nantz and I get the better weekend games.  

ESPN likely pairs him with mediocre talent and Romo alone can't fix what ails their stale MNF presentation.  

Agreed.  I am sure he can leverage that interest into a substantial raise at CBS.