Jordan Phillips - put my stats this year against anybody - I'm a top 3 DT

Reed83HOF

18 minutes ago, PolishPrince said:

This doesn’t seem very “process” to me ?

Not for me. I think he's got every right to publicly disagree w/an article like that in a contract year. He took a shot at the piece, not the Bills.

I'd love him back at the right price, and also would 100% have no hard feelings about maximizing his value in FA with another team. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This team regardless of cap space can't afford to pay the money he is likely to get in FA by some sucker team.  I like Phillips but he isn't worth that much as a rotational tackle.  If he could do it all and stay on the field then maybe.  The fact that he is a liability in the run game makes him worth far less.

Would love to keep the band together but paying Jordan that kind of money is too risky. We might look back and regret letting him go, but I think we're more likely to regret paying him when we're going to have so many more great players to resign in the future. 

I say keep Shaq and let Phillips get a big contract elsewhere. No hard feelings. Thanks for the amazing year. 

7 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

yeah, his numbers THIS YEAR.   He's fantastic, but put his career numbers against other DT's.  Totally different picture.   No way we should pay him top 3 DT pay.  I'd keep Lawson and draft a DT or get a FA DT as a rotational part.

Exactly this year and his teammates had nothing to do with it.

If he thinks he is that good sign a contract with incentives rather than being paid up front.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

89M cap room, there is enough money to do whatever they want.  I am not worried about that they could give Phillips 10M AVV and still go sign that top DE at 18M AVV

but it sounds like he wont go for the 10---and some dumb team will give him 15

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Jordan Phillips has been more productive than the post 2015 Dareus and could make an argument for $14M AAV.  The pre 2015 Dareus was better than J Phillips, though.

so one huge mistake justifies another??

22 minutes ago, Tcali said:

but it sounds like he wont go for the 10---and some dumb team will give him 15

so one huge mistake justifies another??

If you can sign Jordan Phillips at $10-12M AAV, do it.  Much above that, I think he walks.  Jordan Phillips will not be Dareus post 2015, if that is what you mean.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

yeah, his numbers THIS YEAR.   He's fantastic, but put his career numbers against other DT's.  Totally different picture.   No way we should pay him top 3 DT pay.  I'd keep Lawson and draft a DT or get a FA DT as a rotational part. 

And don't forget we still have Horrible Harry waiting in the wings.

The smart move (and Beane is smart) is to find the NEXT Jordan Phillips.  This year's Jordan Phillips will be way overpaid.

Edited by BobChalmers
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

I wont be surprised if Shaq and Phillip's are gone this year.  They seem to be going the biggest payday vs starting with the team.  I will be happy if we retain just one of them, understand if we dont though.

Beane will make a push to re-sign Shaq I believe.

I think they have a value on Phillips and would welcome him back at that price, but they believe he can get more from someone else.  McDermott is set on DT rotation and as a rotational piece, I don’t think his value to us is as high as it would be to another team.  I don’t feel good about this - from what I can tell he’s been a vet leader in the DL room and on the field.

• Like (+1) 1