Jordan Phillips - put my stats this year against anybody - I'm a top 3 DT

Reed83HOF

It would be nice to have Jordan Phillips back. He had a great season in a contract year, but it will be also risky to give him too much money since he has never started more than 11 games in a season during his 5 year career. Other teams will know this too. It will be interesting to see how much he will get and how well he will to perform after he gets a new deal.

Edited by Happy Days
  • Like (+1) 1

Phillips made most of his plays at key moments throughout the season.

We're better with him than without him and we have a ton of cap space.

I'd still try to re sign him. 

The defense is the strength of the team. It needs to be kept in tact. 

Our offense is no where near good enough. 

9 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

yeah, his numbers THIS YEAR.   He's fantastic, but put his career numbers against other DT's.  Totally different picture.   No way we should pay him top 3 DT pay.  I'd keep Lawson and draft a DT or get a FA DT as a rotational part. 

This. If he wants to get paid for one year of performance why don’t we pay him year by year.  I no this will never happened but think how great the game would be if everyone was in year contract 

9 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I like him, but if he's going into negotiations thinking top 3 money is actually his starting position, I can't imagine a deal getting done. He's going to have to give in wayyyyy more than that. I wouldn't want to pay him half that personally.

I don't think he meant  he deserved top 3 money, I think he was saying statistically he had top 3 stats at his position. He thought they were disrespecting his play, not challenging his worth.

9 hours ago, Real McNasty said:

He's gonna get paid and deserves so. 

I see 15 mill a year type contract.

He deserves 15 mil a year for one good year of play. I hope Miami thinks that and wants him back 15 mil a year for 4 years 60 mil 26 guaranteed lol ? 

27 minutes ago, Happy Days said:

It would be nice to have Jordan Phillips back. He had a great season in a contract year, but it will be also risky to give him too much money since he has never started more than 11 games in a season during his 5 year career. Other teams will know this too. It will be interesting to see how much he will get and how well he will to perform after he gets a new deal.

Rookie Happy Days, 

Looking at “starts” for a DLman is really misleading since most teams rotate.  Phillips missed like 4 games in 2017.  All other years he played 16 games AFAIK.  

He’s been very durable.

One game in 2015, 4 games in 2017.

He was out one game first year for Northern Cuba.   In year he was cut he still played 16 games.

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Comb Solo Ast TFL QBHits Sfty AV
Career       76 35 1 17 0 17 14 1 0 1 0 0 15.0 113 77 36 27 33   23
4 yrs MIA     48 26 1 17 0 17 11           5.5 58 37 23 12 17   13
2 yrs BUF     28 9 0 0 0 0 3 1 0 1 0 0 9.5 31 25 13 15 16   10
2015 23 MIA dt 97 15 4 0 0 0 0 4           2.0 19 14 5 2 5   3
2016 24 MIA de/DT 97 16 11 1 17 0 17 3           0.5 23 13 10 5 3   5
2017 25 MIA DT/rdt 97 13 11 0 0 0 0 3           2.0 16 10 6 4 6   5
2018 26 2TM     16 0 0 0 0 0 4 0 0 1 0 0 1.0 24 15 9 3 3   2
    BUF   97 12 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 1 0 0 0.0 19 12 7 2 0   2
    MIA   97 4 0 0 0 0 0 1           1.0 5 3 2 1 3   0
2019 27 BUF DT 97 16 9           1 0 0 0 0 9.5 31 25 6 13 16   8

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Beane will make a push to re-sign Shaq I believe.

I think they have a value on Phillips and would welcome him back at that price, but they believe he can get more from someone else.  McDermott is set on DT rotation and as a rotational piece, I don’t think his value to us is as high as it would be to another team.  I don’t feel good about this - from what I can tell he’s been a vet leader in the DL room and on the field.

What would be your guess as to the value that Beane has on Jordan Phillips?  $10-12M, 8-10M, less?

8 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

What would be your guess as to the value that Beane has on Jordan Phillips?  $10-12M, 8-10M, less?

Oh, wow, I hate those questions.  I’m not good at this stuff.  I think they knew they overpaid for Star because they kind of had to then.

8-10M I think, but the devil is always in the details - how much guaranteed, how many years, what kind of bonuses or incentives

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

If you have to lobby the internet that hard...then you probably know your aren't really a top 3 DT....

He's doing what most players of today do in arguing their case for a future deal through social media. He's putting up his stats as an interior pass rusher and establishing his rational why he should be paid at near the top of his position. His value to us is probably not as high as it would be to another team. More power to him. 

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

8-10. If that. 

I would of actually guessed it at 6-8 for another one year deal as depth/rotations and see if he can do it again. For us anyways. Other teams may be willing to guarantee more years.   Stars money was as much locker room as it was need I think or he wouldn’t be paid like he is. If we hadn’t just drafted Oliver I think they would pay more. I don’t see Phillips as a game changer, wreaking havoc on opposing offensive lines or living in opponents backfields. Good player. Not great. Oliver kills his value to buffalo. Take away the titans game and they have almost the same amount of sacks. But Oliver outdid him across the board in other categories. 

5 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I would of actually guessed it at 6-8 for another one year deal as depth/rotations and see if he can do it again. For us anyways. Other teams may be willing to guarantee more years.   Stars money was as much locker room as it was need I think or he wouldn’t be paid like he is. If we hadn’t just drafted Oliver I think they would pay more. I don’t see Phillips as a game changer, wreaking havoc on opposing offensive lines or living in opponents backfields. Good player. Not great. Oliver kills his value to buffalo. Take away the titans game and they have almost the same amount of sacks. But Oliver outdid him across the board in other categories. 

Good points, all. My main problem with Phillips is that he's just not very good against the run. He's a situational DT, nothing more, in my book. But someone is going to meet his price. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

He's doing what most players of today do in arguing their case for a future deal through social media. He's putting up his stats as an interior pass rusher and establishing his rational why he should be paid at near the top of his position. His value to us is probably not as high as it would be to another team. More power to him. 

No one who will be singing his next check will be reading that tweet with interest.

He's not top 3.    They already know that.

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No one who will be singing his next check will be reading that tweet with interest.

He's not top 3.    They already know that.

Whether those interested parties are reading his tweets doesn't alter the reality that players promote themselves through social media. He is communicating in the same fashion as almost all of his peers are doing. I agree with you that he is not a top three interior lineman. But what did you him expect to  say and do? Make a case against himself? You may be surprised that he is maximizing/exaggerating his talents now that he is a free agent but I'm not. When promoting oneself modesty  usually isn't the best tactic

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1