Jordan Phillips - put my stats this year against anybody - I'm a top 3 DT

Reed83HOF

10 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

He benefitted from our defensive schemes that allowed him to get to the QB.  He had a really good year.  

Let him test the market.  There may just be somebody out there who wants to pay him 17 million a year.  I doubt it. 

With Harrison and Ed coming back, I'm not sure we need him.  For that matter, I say we cut loose Star.  Not worth $10 million any more.  We have Vincent Taylor ready to play too. 

But then again, we had a top 2 defense.  

Glad it's not my call.  

I think they keep Star one more year because his contract is still to big of a hit if they cut him.  Agree with everything else.

I have a feeling the Bills will let him walk. Hard to pay ? a guy top 3 money when we just drafted #9 overall at the same position and it looks like Ed Oliver is going to be a star in the league. Plus Horrible Harry will be back health and motivated next year. 

2 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

This is why I don’t resign him. Not a “process” guy and if he gets his deal I see a lack of production 

I think he’s been a damn good process guy.

The problem is, I think Beane is determined to be thrifty with the cap and Phillips has done enough to earn a payday.

The problem is, where lines are concerned sometimes you get what you pay for

1 hour ago, FLFan said:

He has been a very good pick up by the Bills.  Beane and his staff are wizards.  However, he is likely to get greatly overpaid by someone and that should not be the Bills.  Oliver and Harry are the future, at DT and they can fill the rotation from there.  Personally, I would rather see them retain Shaq and cut Murphy loose.  

That’s pretty much what Beane implied in his presser.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I’m curious about where this ‘not good against the run’ theme comes from

he gets pushed around bad, and basically freelances to get up the field.  this got him a bunch of tfl and sacks, but cost as well.

23 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Would have to look at the film for that, but pass rush win rate is based on beating your man before 2.5 seconds, so based on that, it would seem Phillips generally picked up his sacks on slower developing plays where coverage held up or pressure from other players forced the QB to step into Phillips.

Ala Trent Murphy. Guy had 9 sacks the year before joining Bills. Watch him play and he does not look like a 9 sack guy you pay huge money for. But a solid player that just sticks around plays and sacks find him. 

4 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

What about his play since arriving in Buffalo leads you to this?

Hard to say it won’t when he was secure in a contract he loafed. In Buffalo he has had a series of 1 year contracts. 

now as much as I say when he was secure in a contract he loafed. (Seems in MIA a lot of players loaf) and I won’t take away that maybe being cut did humble him and show he does have to work and not take it for granted 

Good for him. He deserves to maximize his earnings potential. It is a business after all. 

Unfortunately, as others have stated, that's a little too rich for us and the direction we are trying to go. I'd like to thank him for the last two years. He's been one hell of a teammate. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I'm really excited about Harrison Phillips coming back.  When he got injured our run defense sucked

This notion needs to be put to bed.  The Bills did not have a bad run defense this year.  The Bills finished with the #10 ranked run defense in ypg.  They were a top 10 defense in almost every metric that matters.  I don't think you can say a top 10 performance sucks. 

37 minutes ago, HomeTeam said:

Good for him. He deserves to maximize his earnings potential. It is a business after all. 

Unfortunately, as others have stated, that's a little too rich for us and the direction we are trying to go. I'd like to thank him for the last two years. He's been one hell of a teammate. 

Yeah begrudgingly I am here.  I don't see Buffalo breaking the bank for him.  Maybe the market won't be what he thought it was and he will be back but I doubt it.  His numbers are eye popping for the position.  He finished 11th in the league in sacks for any position, 2nd at his position behind Aaron Donald playing way less snaps, someone is going to pay for that.  I hope it isn't a rival or really anyone in the AFC lol.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I’m curious about where this ‘not good against the run’ theme comes from

There was a long thread about Lotulelei after the Eagles game where I sort of made the case against Phillips if you can dig it up. Basically he pretty much only plays gaps, has a terrific first step off the snap, and wants to get into the backfield before anyone gets hands on him. He loses against double teams, doesn't have a strong base and gets moved playing the run, and his lateral quickness isn't top quality. 

He's a very good penetrating 3tech but that's really it. Sometimes he will guess or freelance and lose leverage which hurts the LBs. He lacks either strength or willingness to do some of the dirty work McDermott needs from his DTs which is why I believe he will get a contract elsewhere. I'm actually hoping he does because he put in some good work here and deserves to get as much $$ as he can. 

An example of his below average play vs run: @6:47 Eagles have ball on BUF 4, first and goal. He gambles on splitting the double and gets immediately driven backwards and loses his base. Not only does Phillips losing vs the double team blow a hole in the defensive line (that the RB walks through for a TD), but it allows the C Kelce to get on Milano once Phillips is wiped out. This happens a significant amount of the times Phillips is asked to take on a double. 

• Like (+1) 1

Not even close to a top 3 DT. 

Tag him and get one more year out of him and then let him walk. I know the tag is average of Top 5. It's fine to overpay for him for a year. Just don't commit to a massive signing bonus thT would eat cap space for years to come. Can't make same mistake they made with Star and Murphy, tying up years of cap space. 

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Which Darius?  2013-2014 Darius?  Or 2015 and later Darius?

Jordan Phillips has been more productive than the post 2015 Dareus and could make an argument for $14M AAV.  The pre 2015 Dareus was better than J Phillips, though.

20 minutes ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

Phillips should be resigned and Beane and Sean should send the message, if you produce, you are wanted and will get paid. He brings a nasty, physical attitude to the defense line. I also don't  see a better free agency option for the money. 

I do see better options. But I agree if he stays in his value range he should be re-signed. He goes into the 12M and higher range let him walk. 

Edited by MAJBobby