Jordan Phillips - put my stats this year against anybody - I'm a top 3 DT

Reed83HOF

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I like him, but if he's going into negotiations thinking top 3 money is actually his starting position, I can't imagine a deal getting done. He's going to have to give in wayyyyy more than that. I wouldn't want to pay him half that personally.

I think that’s exactly what Beane was alluding to when he said “Phillips has earned the right to test the market in FA”.

My guess is that he knows how Phillips thinks of himself (top 3 DT) and that while the Bills value him, we don’t value him to that degree given McD’s desire for a rotational system.

He’s saying we understand how you see yourself, if you get someone else to see you that way, Godspeed and Good Luck.

I feel JP may contribute more to the team than they see him as contributing, but probably not to that extent.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill963 said:

Anything to back up this assertion about being a liability against the run? 

I was wondering that myself

6 minutes ago, nucci said:

It's most likely his only chance for big money. Of course he's going to say this stuff.  All of you here would do the same thing for $$

Right. Players always hype their value when they are entering FA. It's all part of the negotiation. Everybody knows this including the FOs league wide. There is no harm in it and no negative inferences need be taken.

Having said that not at 17 per. JP and his agent prolly both know and understand that. Still, if someone is ready to pony up, more power to the player.

• Like (+1) 1

He has been a very good pick up by the Bills.  Beane and his staff are wizards.  However, he is likely to get greatly overpaid by someone and that should not be the Bills.  Oliver and Harry are the future, at DT and they can fill the rotation from there.  Personally, I would rather see them retain Shaq and cut Murphy loose.  

Phillips- 543 snaps (52%); 9.5 sacks; 16 QB hits; 20 QB Pressures; 31 tackles; 13 tackles for loss

Bills Comparison

Oliver- 556 snaps (54%); 5 sacks; 8 QB hits; 12 QB pressures; 43 tackles; 5 tackles for loss

Star- 482 snaps (46%); 2 sacks; 3 QB hits; 4 QB pressures; 19 tackles; 3 tackles for loss

Non-Bills Comparison

A Donald- 926 snaps (84%); 12.5 sacks; 24 QB hits; 32 QB hurries; 48 tackles; 20 tackles for loss

C Jones- 646 snaps (58%); 9 sacks; 20 QB hits; 27 QB hurries; 36 tackles; 8 tackles for loss

Phillips is right up there. If he goes who replaces him pressuring from the front 4?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Phillips- 543 snaps (52%); 9.5 sacks; 16 QB hits; 20 QB Pressures; 31 tackles; 13 tackles for loss

Bills Comparison

Oliver- 556 snaps (54%); 5 sacks; 8 QB hits; 12 QB pressures; 43 tackles; 5 tackles for loss

Star- 482 snaps (46%); 2 sacks; 3 QB hits; 4 QB pressures; 19 tackles; 3 tackles for loss

Non-Bills Comparison

A Donald- 926 snaps (84%); 12.5 sacks; 24 QB hits; 32 QB hurries; 48 tackles; 20 tackles for loss

C Jones- 646 snaps (58%); 9 sacks; 20 QB hits; 27 QB hurries; 36 tackles; 8 tackles for loss

Phillips is right up there. If he goes who replaces him pressuring from the front 4?

Oliver is already ahead of Phillips in terms of pass rush win rate:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27584726/nfl-pass-blocking-pass-rushing-rankings-2019-pbwr-prwr-leaderboard

Top 10 DT Pass Rush Win Rate

1. Aaron Donald, Rams, 25%
2. Grady Jarrett, Falcons, 22%
3. Chris Jones, Chiefs, 19%
4. Maliek Collins, Cowboys, 16%
5. Quinton Jefferson, Seahawks, 16%
6. Calais Campbell, Jaguars, 15%
7. Ed Oliver, Bills, 15%
8. Denico Autry, Colts, 14%
9. Matt Ioannidis, Redskins, 13%
10. Vita Vea, Buccaneers, 13%

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27584726/nfl-pass-blocking-pass-rushing-rankings-2019-pbwr-prwr-leaderboard

7. Ed Oliver, Bills, 15%

MMMM love me some of that pass rush win rate action

9 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

7. Ed Oliver, Bills, 15%

Interesting...wonder why his QB hits, hurries, etc are so low then. Is he winning off the ball but getting picked up? Slow to find and get to the QB. 

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

Interesting...wonder why his QB hits, hurries, etc are so low then. Is he winning off the ball but getting picked up? Slow to find and get to the QB. 

Would have to look at the film for that, but pass rush win rate is based on beating your man before 2.5 seconds, so based on that, it would seem Phillips generally picked up his sacks on slower developing plays where coverage held up or pressure from other players forced the QB to step into Phillips.

59 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I’m curious about where this ‘not good against the run’ theme comes from

I'm too lazy and not vested in this argument to look it up, but IIRC Cover1 and others were showing this on twitter over the past few weeks and throughout the season

He benefitted from our defensive schemes that allowed him to get to the QB.  He had a really good year.  

Let him test the market.  There may just be somebody out there who wants to pay him 17 million a year.  I doubt it. 

With Harrison and Ed coming back, I'm not sure we need him.  For that matter, I say we cut loose Star.  Not worth $10 million any more.  We have Vincent Taylor ready to play too. 

But then again, we had a top 2 defense.  

Glad it's not my call.