Jordan Phillips - put my stats this year against anybody - I'm a top 3 DT

Reed83HOF

He won't be a Bill next year.

We already have Oliver and Harrison Phillips is coming back next year.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have him but not at the price he'll be looking for.  He served his purpose and was a great teammate and with really good production this year, it will be missed but when you take into consideration that Oliver will be an even better version of himself and Harrison who was beginning to look really good right before his injury, the Bills will still be fielding a good DT rotation.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

This is why I don’t resign him. Not a “process” guy and if he gets his deal I see a lack of production 

and what exactly is a “process” guy? Starting to think that word is used by a lot of you around here as code for something else entirely.

16 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

What’s the infatuation with him?  He played ok the short time he played this season.  Wouldn’t be counting on him to being anything more than a rotational piece 

The infatuation is:
1. There is a bias towards players who are fiery/animated on the field and rev up/respond to the home crowd. I think this is way, way overvalued. 

2. The league overvalues sacks. 

3. People remember the flashy plays and don't break down all the plays. From those who seem to have done the work (I haven't but enough on this board seem to have done it), he's not consistent and weaker vs. run compared to his results vs. pass. 

Top 3 DT? Some have wondered if he's top 3 on the Bills. He might not even be the top Phillips on the Bills.

100% right he's a rotational player. With Star, Oliver and H. Phillips he should get less than 50% of the snaps and you aren't managing the cap effectively if you have $8-10-12 million tied up in a player like that. 

Think of it this way: if they can re-sign Liuget for $2 million or so, is Jordan Phillips as a rotational player going to be 4-6 times as effective as Liuget? He may be 20-25% better but at 40% of the snaps that is only 8-10% better. That money is better spent elsewhere. 

4 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Plain & simple, he's earned a big contract. If it's in Buffalo has yet to be decided, but the man deserves his payday.

so much hate for this dude and I don't get it.  Not only was he productive but he was clearly an emotional leader of the d-line.

And we are all set because we have Harrison Phillips?!?!?!?  I don't mind him but he has proven nothing in this league.  He had a so-so rookie year and then got hurt in the 3rd game this year.  I would like to see him grown and get better and hopefully be the answer but he is far from certain.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, section122 said:

so much hate for this dude and I don't get it.  Not only was he productive but he was clearly an emotional leader of the d-line.

And we are all set because we have Harrison Phillips?!?!?!?  I don't mind him but he has proven nothing in this league.  He had a so-so rookie year and then got hurt in the 3rd game this year.  I would like to see him grown and get better and hopefully be the answer but he is far from certain.

I haven't seen any hate directed toward him in this thread.

I, for one LOVE J Phillips, and want him back. I wouldn't give him 17 mill a year, though.

1 hour ago, Real McNasty said:

He's gonna get paid and deserves so. 

I see 15 mill a year type contract.

You know, I kind of doubt it. I think teams will be wary of paying a rotational DT the big bucks after only 1 season of production. I think it is more likely he signs a short prove it deal for decent money somewhere.

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I haven't seen any hate directed toward him in this thread.

I, for one LOVE J Phillips, and want him back. I wouldn't give him 17 mill a year, though.

Yeah, this is where I'm at. He's a good player for this team and an asset. He's certainly proven more than Harrison Phillips.  I do think that most other teams will be aware of his limitations, but all it takes is two desperate teams who feel they need to significantly improve their interior pass rush. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

99 is the reason all along I feel we might not even make Phillips an offer. They're paying ? big $, spent a 3rd and 1st in last 3 years. Can't invest more imo

No one asked me, but I think the H Phillips love is a bit over the top on this board. He played like 4 games this season. J Phillips is a better player. However, I  agree Jordan Phillips will probably be overpaid somewhere. He’s not in the same category as Fletcher Cox, Aaron Donald etc. 

18 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

The infatuation is:
1. There is a bias towards players who are fiery/animated on the field and rev up/respond to the home crowd. I think this is way, way overvalued. 

2. The league overvalues sacks. 

3. People remember the flashy plays and don't break down all the plays. From those who seem to have done the work (I haven't but enough on this board seem to have done it), he's not consistent and weaker vs. run compared to his results vs. pass. 

Top 3 DT? Some have wondered if he's top 3 on the Bills. He might not even be the top Phillips on the Bills.

100% right he's a rotational player. With Star, Oliver and H. Phillips he should get less than 50% of the snaps and you aren't managing the cap effectively if you have $8-10-12 million tied up in a player like that. 

Think of it this way: if they can re-sign Liuget for $2 million or so, is Jordan Phillips as a rotational player going to be 4-6 times as effective as Liuget? He may be 20-25% better but at 40% of the snaps that is only 8-10% better. That money is better spent elsewhere. 

The only way he gets more thaan 50% of snaps is if buffalo gets a 3 score lead in the second half so the other team is all passing.

if he is top 3...why isn’t he with the team that drafted him.

I've liked him since he's been here but he isn't a force down after down

He has great energy and seems like he likes it here but he does not play his technique great.. is out of position decent amount and alot of his sacks walked right into him

Still a great year but not at that price

35 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

and what exactly is a “process” guy? Starting to think that word is used by a lot of you around here as code for something else entirely.

It’s a team first attitude. 
Putting the team first before individual achievements. 
Not going on tweeter telling people you’re so great and deserve top 3 money. 
Phillips worked hard and deserves his payday. I don’t think anyone disputes that. 
He’s just not going to get top 3 DT money in buffalo. 

Edited by Rc2catch

im torn because he was productive and keeping our guys makes the team better, but big dollars on a guy who is just not good vs the run ain't it.

i kinda think the nfl is less obsessed with the super duper DT like they were 10 or so years ago.

Suh, marcel, guys like that had teams drooling and guys who were not even as good as them were taken with top 10 or 20 picks regularly, but lately it seems like there is less emphasis on paying a big chubby dude on D top dollars because there is the question of how long that pace can be kept up.

darnold, cox, those guys are the exception, but they are every down monsters who have never shown any true weakness in their game.

56 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

lol yeah because he’s a sure thing. Amazing how certain people will go to bat for certain players that haven’t proven squat. Certainly not anything close to what Phillips proved this season. Wonder why that is? ???

Harry was hurt and out for the season. Kind of hard to prove anything from the sideline in street clothes. 

I like Jordan Phillips a lot. But only at the right price. 

And no, you’re little subtextual message was not lost on me. I’m just dismissing it. 

Edited by BuffaloBob
  • Like (+1) 1