My Off-Season Primer: Position Group - DE

MAJBobby

5 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

and other sites have him as low as 60. 

I used my grades when writing this. Now I also will admit because the Bills have had a good season I have not refined my grades like I already would have by this point. 

he may rise or he may not when I refine more. But I use my own work because then I can defend it. 

right now I have two first round grades DEs. And Weaver isn’t one of them it is Young and AJ. 

what do you like about Weaver that makes him a first round pick in your eyes (maybe I am missing something). 

Edited by MAJBobby

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

and other sites have him as low as 60. 

I used my grades when writing this. Now I also will admit because the Bills have had a good season I have not refined my grades like I already would have by this point. 

he may rise in my mind. Grades he may not. But I use my own work because then I can defend it. 

right now I have two first round grades DEs. And Weaver isn’t one of them it is Young and AJ. 

what do you like about Weaver that makes him a first round pick in your eyes (maybe I am missing something). 

I like that he already has NFL size, he hand fights already and doesn't rely solely on his speed to get to QB. Toss in he's always hustling to the ball. He isn't all world mind you but above average. 

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

I like that he already has NFL size, he hand fights already and doesn't rely solely on his speed to get to QB. Toss in he's always hustling to the ball. He isn't all world mind you but above average. 

Ok got it but above avg also doesn’t scream 1st round pick to me. 

what I don’t like and why he is a lower grade:

lacks flexibility rarely shows bend in his rushes and flatten as needed 

doesn’t have really any counters to speak of. Wins around the edge. 

pad height inconsistent. Plays to high and as a result easily moved around 

doesn’t have a go to move and lacks a plan on pass rush. Rarely you see him set a OT up (do you lack of second move and counters)

Short arms lacks length which to me projects him as a Murphy’s Base end position. 

18 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Daryl Johnson intrigues the hell out of me......he fell off a bit at the end of the season but a REALLY good 7th round pick.

Has all the physical tools and made some plays

I think we’re undervaluing the kid. He has the frame any physical athleticism to turn into a starter. One thing that is neglected is that he also has a drive similar to Allen. He’s going to maximize his off season. I would not be surprised if he shows up to camp comfortably carrying an extra 10 pounds and armed with a few countermoves. He was behind this year because of where he played college ball. 

This position, along with WR, is a huge need for the Bills.

I would be fine with cutting Murphy. Production from him just isn't good enough and the cap savings are great.

Re-Sign Lawson at a reasonable deal. They should not have to overpay for him.

Somehow I get the feeling that the Bills will target Arik Armstead in free agency. Just a gut feeling. Armstead would be a good addition for the Bills.

I highly doubt that Clowney even comes to Buffalo for a visit. You never know, but I don't see that happening.

Yannick Ngakoue has me feeling cautious. He had an incredible first two years, and now he's come down to Earth a bit. Is that a sign that he's already peaked, or that the Jaguars are a mess? There's no doubt that Ngakoue is talented, and he appears to be eager to go to a new team. He will command top dollar, and he will get it. The Bills can afford him, now do they really want him?

In the draft, I really like Epenesa and Gross-Matos, although the Penn State lawsuit is a big concern. I doubt Epenesa falls to us. After them, there is a drop off.

Curtis Weaver could fill that need, but I would not spend a 1st on him. Kenny Willekes & Jon Greenard are also potential 2nd round picks I would look at too.