My only gripe with the Defense

BBills88

Tackling!

I saw alot of trying to strip the ball instead of hard hitting. which lead to miss tackles and extra yardage. 
I hope the defense get the hard hitting mentality.

S. Neal is a good example of when he hits someone he is hititing with some authority

• Like (+1) 2

Is there any team that doesn't have tackling problems from time to time?  I mean do you guys ever actually watch other games?  It's like people think every other team makes every tackle they should when most teams are far worse at than we are.  It happens, the offensive players get paid too to break tackles.

• Like (+1) 5

16 minutes ago, BBills88 said:

Tackling!

I saw alot of trying to strip the ball instead of hard hitting. which lead to miss tackles and extra yardage. 
I hope the defense get the hard hitting mentality.

S. Neal is a good example of when he hits someone he is hititing with some authority

Wasn't Siran Neal (and Milano) the one who whiffed on that season killing sack of Watson? They all need to step up their game though I agree.

12 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Is there any team that doesn't have tackling problems from time to time?  I mean do you guys ever actually watch other games?  It's like people think every other team makes every tackle they should when most teams are far worse at than we are.  It happens, the offensive players get paid too to break tackles.

It happens. It also prevented us from being dominant on defense. We're one of the best on defense sure, but they need to tackle better and be much more physical if they want to take a step forward.

It would be JFG if the D reduced their missed tackles by a few percent, it’s all approach angles and techniques, that and watching on tv distorts the view so what we see on TV is not always the case on the field. I am certain that completing tackles is always a sore point for the coaches.

Go Bills!!!

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

It would be JFG if the D reduced their missed tackles by a few percent, it’s all approach angles and techniques, that and watching on tv distorts the view so what we see on TV is not always the case on the field. I am certain that completing tackles is always a sore point for the coaches.

Go Bills!!!

Yes it is.  For all coaches on every team. Not just the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, clearwater cadet said:

It seemed to me that the last month of the season Milano missed a ton of Tackles.

He seems to tackle too high IMO.  Much easier to break those than below the waist.  Milano is OK, great in coverage, but pretty average everywhere else in my mind.  He is not a stud as many here seem to believe.  Not by any stretch.  But considering where he was drafted and what he is being paid, he is overachieving.

I agree with most here.  We need a impact pass rusher.  If we can get consistent pressure rushing 4, we are going to be tough to move the ball against. 

I'm not as concerned about the running up the middle.  Don't forget, we get Harry back next year, basically like getting another first or second round pick.  He was doing great against the run before he was injured.

Edited by Mark80

This defense is trending insanely high.  Whatever criticism you have is infinitely outweighed by this regime and their ability to make MASSIVE improvements year over year.  You're kidding yourself if you think this defense is a finished product.  It will get better.  There isn't a single aspect of this team that hasn't improved or transitioned in the right direction since Beane and McDermott arrived in Buffalo.

I don't think it was that bad. It was probably on par with other teams and near the league average. It's just a lot more noticeable when it happens at really inopportune times, like say, late in OT in a playoff game and two defenders magically bounce off a quarterback. Dear football gods, smite Deshaun Watson, smite him! Oh, they did, look at that, blew a 24 point lead. 

13 minutes ago, Jobot said:

This defense is trending insanely high.  Whatever criticism you have is infinitely outweighed by this regime and their ability to make MASSIVE improvements year over year.  You're kidding yourself if you think this defense is a finished product.  It will get better.  There isn't a single aspect of this team that hasn't improved or transitioned in the right direction since Beane and McDermott arrived in Buffalo.

I'd be selling stock on this defense.  Not sure how it could perform at a higher level then it did in 2019.

Even SF 49er's had some clunkers this year, while the Bills allowed over 30 points only once.  

14 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I'd be selling stock on this defense.  Not sure how it could perform at a higher level then it did in 2019.

Even SF 49er's had some clunkers this year, while the Bills allowed over 30 points only once.  

I disagree. Add an impact pass rusher and this defense is lights out IMO.