Pending unrestricted free agent Jadeveon Clowney wants to play for contender

A few thoughts here:

1) yes, Buffalo is a team that can win now

2) I suspect his agent knows this

3) I suspect his agent will also be well aware of Buffalo’s reputation for being ahead of the curve in terms of getting and keeping players healthy 

4) I think many folks on this board have not watched much of Clowney. He’s an absolute animal. He RACKS up TFLs regardless of who’s around him, and mostly in systems that aren’t suited to his skill set 

5) He has a good relationship with Brian Gaine. Gaine is the one that fought for giving Clowney a mega deal to stay in Houston. O’Brien said no. 

• Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Is this just you being insecure about the Bills?

They went 10-6 and look to be a team on the rise. I would hope players see the Bills as a contending team next season and beyond. 

It might be haha

Surprised by the hate on this forum towards Clowney.  My previous concern with the guy was he seemed the type of player to make a big payday and coast.  He played HARD against Green Bay.  I would love to have this guy in Buffalo if this is his attitude!

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

When he does get paid he’ll be able to get the best English grammar teacher available. Should be priority number one for him....

It’s 2019.  The book has been rewritten 

24 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He’s so overrated and not worth what he’s going to get.  Don’t get me wrong, he’s a good player but he isn’t the difference maker he’s going to get paid like. 

He might be a tad overrated in my book, but simply because he’s been injury riddled.  When I watch him, he stands out as a difference maker and someone that could help this defense get to the next level.  Sign me up.  I doubt he’d sign up for JA though

Sacks dropped off this year. Previous two he recorded 9/9.5 per. Regardless he is extremely disruptive and a complete DE. He is a dominant player and would help take this D to another and much higher level. I think Beane should have a run at him assuming the price is for value and not totally stupid money. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

A few thoughts here:

3) I suspect his agent will also be well aware of Buffalo’s reputation for being ahead of the curve in terms of getting and keeping players healthy 

4) I think many folks on this board have not watched much of Clowney. He’s an absolute animal. He RACKS up TFLs regardless of who’s around him, and mostly in systems that aren’t suited to his skill set 

5) He has a good relationship with Brian Gaine. Gaine is the one that fought for giving Clowney a mega deal to stay in Houston. O’Brien said no. 

Stats stats stats and more stats.  That’s what everyone wants and needs.  Clowney is a difference maker, glad someone with working eyes sees this

11 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

A few thoughts here:

TFLs are often under rated because they’re not SportsCenter stats. They can completely change offensive playcalling though. I suspect that Gaine, Beane, etc are fully informed on what Clowney brings to the table with ability (penetration, TFLs), work ethic, and locker room demeanor. They also have a pretty good idea of what type of contract will get him to sign. The medical facilities and McD’s player workload management might actually be more important to some of these vets than us fans realize. Being ahead of the curve there will not only negate the possibility of a Trent Williams type of situation, but might prolong careers: Alexander, Kyle, Shady, Gore, etc. Players and agents look at all of those things. If they sign Clowney I’ll welcome the addition. If they don’t I’m okay with that too as long as they improve the position. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I actually think we would be on the list of teams. And, he is a darn good football player who would fit quite nicely with the Bills. He's a beast of a disruptor!

I would lean towards this.  Not sold on it though. 

One of the previous posters mentioned they wouldn't bust our cap on this player.  I would expect due diligence on him to bust the cap.  We probably have one shot in the next 1-4 years to "bust" (not really bust, but, take a swing for the fences) in Free Agency.  So, I agree it is imperative we get the correct player and person to swing for the fences on and can't miss.

With that said, Clowney could be that player to swing for.  I am not sure he is, but, I am not sure he isn't.  If the Bills sign Clowney I will trust the process.

39 minutes ago, bmur66 said:

I would certainly show due diligence in making him a Bill if I was GM

I think that goes without saying.  And I think pretty much everyone here is spot on.  He's a disruptive player that can make a huge impact on games. But he's a me first kinda guy.   I would say, he's 27 and on his 2nd team already.  That says to me that he has issues with other players in the locker room.    I'd definitely give him a hard look, but he screams attitude player looking for a pay day.  So, I'd be cautious about signing him.   

he's not the only one i'd target, but this guy on our D in place of shak or murph would be like throwing a turbo charger on it.

harrison coming back to make the DT position better, and Edmunds growing up more in the NFL would be awesome.

also, houghs isn't going to be around for too much longer, clowney could fill the gap after say 2 years there.

• Like (+1) 1

They all say they want to play for a 'contender'. What they mean is...I hope a contender offers me the most money or let let me try to drive up the price a non-contender is going to pay me because "I want to play for a contender" and they're not.

3 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I don't get how people can call him out for saying he wants to play for a contendor.

Would it be better if he said, "I want to get paid, that's what matters, and at the end of the day I don't care where I play?"

Because you'd expect a professional to be a little bit more professional with what he says and how he says it. 

See any Bills player on the current  roster whos met with the media. 

That's the type of ***** you say to your agent, not the public. 

44 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

A few thoughts here:

23 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

TFLs are often under rated because they’re not SportsCenter stats. They can completely change offensive playcalling though. I suspect that Gaine, Beane, etc are fully informed on what Clowney brings to the table with ability (penetration, TFLs), work ethic, and locker room demeanor. They also have a pretty good idea of what type of contract will get him to sign. The medical facilities and McD’s player workload management might actually be more important to some of these vets than us fans realize. Being ahead of the curve there will not only negate the possibility of a Trent Williams type of situation, but might prolong careers: Alexander, Kyle, Shady, Gore, etc. Players and agents look at all of those things. If they sign Clowney I’ll welcome the addition. If they don’t I’m okay with that too as long as they improve the position. 

I think the Gaine point is a huge one.  He knows Clowney and his actual demeanor not just his trying to sign a lucrative deal demeanor.  The other point is the new facilities.  For someone who often has lingering injuries that would imo be a huge selling point.

I like Clowney but I am a little weary of how much he will cost.  I'm in full on trust the process mode though.  If they pay him I will be happy, if they decide he isn't worth the price tag I will be happy.  Such a strange offseason going in feeling this way...

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, colin said:

he's not the only one i'd target, but this guy on our D in place of shak or murph would be like throwing a turbo charger on it.

harrison coming back to make the DT position better, and Edmunds growing up more in the NFL would be awesome.

also, houghs isn't going to be around for too much longer, clowney could fill the gap after say 2 years there.

In place of Murph, not Shaq. JMO. You forgot to mention Ed. We have a couple of 3techs who can bring pressure up the middle. With Clowney bringing it from the edge look out. He would also shore up the run D, something we could well use at times. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Say more.  Why?

Clowney is a dirty player, and practically just ***** over his whole team. 

Armstead has been solid the last two years and his character seems like a much better fit for what is being built here. 

He's a bull who can not only rush the passer, but has become a solid run stopper as well.   He's a 3 down player with a great attitude. 

• Like (+1) 1