Do you care where your skill player production comes from?

If there is one this that really stood out to me this weekend, 3 of 4 winning teams clearly had players that were, at certain times, unstoppable. When the game was on the line, they went to their #1’s, and they all produced, leading a comeback, sealing the game and/or overall imposing their will onto the defenses In key moments in the game: 

Derrick Henry - RB

Travis Kelce - TE

Davonte Adams - WR

Before yesterday, I was sure that the Bills were missing a #1 WR on their offense. Today I’m not so sure that has to be the case. We can all agree the Bills are sorely lacking a “unstoppable force” or a “go-to” player (think end of Ravens/Pats games). 

Do you think it NEEDS to be a WR? If so, why?

1 minute ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

If there is one this that really stood out to me this weekend, 3 of 4 winning teams clearly had players that were, at certain times, unstoppable. When the game was on the line, they went to their #1’s, and they all produced, leading a comeback, sealing the game and/or overall imposing their will onto the defenses In key moments in the game: 

Derrick Henry - RB

Travis Kelce - TE

Davonte Adams - WR

Before yesterday, I was sure that the Bills were missing a #1 WR on their offense. Today I’m not so sure that has to be the case. We can all agree the Bills are sorely lacking a “unstoppable force” or a “go-to” player (think end of Ravens/Pats games). 

Bills need more offensive talent. They don't need any 1 single thing on offense. Honestly they could draft highly any of those positions. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I have been watching the NFL for 5 decades.  During that time there have only been a handful of offenses that succeed without relying of "tricking the defense".  The playoff version of the Titans has sort of come out of nowhere to be operating at that level.  Everyone in the stadium knows the play is a hand off to D. Henry.  Yet time after time Henry is going though a huge hole allowing him to gain 2-3 yards before meaningful contact allowing him to provide incredible force in the physical mass x acceleration sense to explode for additional yards.  This brings to mind John Riggins behind the vaunted hogs, or Jerome Bettis as the "bus" on the Steelers.   These circumstances are rare, and in the case of Riggins and Bettis were not sustained for very many years.  As jealous as I am with what the titans are doing now, I think you have to go back to Jim Brown to find a circumstance where this kind of rushing dominance was sustained for more than a couple of years. 

More recently, Bills fans have to to spend more than a decade watching Brady throw slant passes to Welker and then Edeleman. Personally I have not been suprised by this particular play call in more than 10 years. I assume DCs were never surprised either, but they really never stopped it.  I am sure there are more examples of "unstoppable" offenses, but they are pretty rare. 

Setting aside the likely elusive goal of unstoppable, it of course does not matter where production specifically comes from.  I love Josh Allen.  He is not Aaron Rodgers.  Its not clear that moving Davante Adams to the Bills would also move his production. Likewise with Derrick Henry. (Although I think Henry's production is more portable).  I think the Bills production improves only with a significant uptick in offensive line play, improved catching competence across the board.   In a non-Bills example, Metcalf played great for the Seahawks last night, but Malik Turner dropped a pretty catch-able ball that possibly would have led to a Seahawks win.  The bills need 2 or three better pass catchers to meaninfully improve.  These can be TE's or WR's.   There are a number of NFL receivers who make a difficult catches with some degree of frequency.  The Bills have zero of these players. Having two would open up a lot.  Having even one would be nice. 

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

this is a great question, and my answer is no I don't care where it comes from. just that it happens.

This, ^^^

although we could stand to have two big body hand catchers in our WR ranks. 

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Derrick Henry - RB

Travis Kelce - TE

Davonte Adams - WR

yes this team needs a WR and really a TE get two legit players in those positions and watch how potent the offense becomes. 

did we forget how many years we played top end defense and had an league leading running game and never made the playoffs?

we have a great RB. What we don’t have is those dominant pass catchers. 

Edited by MAJBobby

4 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Derrick Henry - RB

Travis Kelce - TE

Davonte Adams - WR

No, it doesn't. But imagine if they did have that WR AND Knox becomes that type of TE (he showed flashes this year) AND an unstoppable freight train RB. Add a Ray Lewis/Ronnie Lott/Mike Singletary in the secondary and look out.

Balanced attack please. 

GB is nice, Adams, JG, Jones. Even though JG is mostly toast he can be productive enough with the other two doing most of the work. 

Having a blooming superstar like Golladay doesn’t do much when you have Joe Blough throwing the ball and his brother John Blough running it. 

I hope Dawson Knox turns into that. Freak athlete, tall, can block (got better as season went on). If he can clean up his routes and become reliable catching easy passes, he'll be a phenomenal player for us. He's show he can make the great/ acrobatic catches we just need to him to catch passes for 8 yards in his chest with the game on the line.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bills need more offensive talent. They don't need any 1 single thing on offense. Honestly they could draft highly any of those positions. 

Exactly.  We're still deficient in all 3 areas. We have no #1 WR. We have no #1 TE.  Singletary is not Henry,  he'll need help. This entire offseason should be focused on offense.  Sorry McD......

4 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Derrick Henry - RB

Travis Kelce - TE

Davonte Adams - WR

In today's NFL you shouldn't care.  Good coaches can get production from any position in terms of touchdowns, sacks, tackles, interceptions, etc..  You are never going to be well stocked in terms of having an All Pro at all 22 starting positions.  Good coaches know how to emphasize strengths and mask deficiencies.