Can someone explain the Tyler Kroft love to me?

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Who’s your #1 TE?

Knox is without a doubt the #1 next season. It’s his job to lose. 

Unless they go big name hunting like hooper. 
Knox even while dropping some passes flashed some serious potential as a receiver. 

Edited by Rc2catch

On 1/13/2020 at 12:17 AM, Bangarang said:

Wait, there’s Kroft love here? I’ve assumed he’s going to be fighting for a roster spot next year and is likely a cap casualty.

I think the Bills wanted him when they looked at their draft board and understood what they had in the organization already!

59 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Same.

Knox drops way too many easy passes. Not sure that improves.... and that missed block in OT is unforgivable.

I'm not sure it's "unforgivable" but I did have to pause the video and get a drink of water in the locker room interview where he talked about "little things"

Buddy, you got your QB given a huge leveling hit instead of a huge running gain, that wasn't little.

18 hours ago, Buffalo86 said:

I'm hopeful that Knox will be the guy, but not confident enough to oppose bringing in Henry or Hooper.  

I’m with you 100% on bringing it any of the two , but I do believe Knox will be a top TE in the league but until Knox develops we need to give Josh a game breaking TE that we really never had here in Buffalo 

On 1/12/2020 at 11:04 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I see people assuming we’ll keep him and that we’re kind of set at TE.

I’d like to understand the Tyler Kroft love - what do people see in him that’s promising?

He kind of had an uninspiring college career at Rutgers.  He backed up Tyler Eifert with the Bengals, did some good stuff in 2017 after Eifert got hurt, then broke his own foot in 2018 and again in 2019 off-season.

So he kind of had one good year in 2017.  When given a chance to “show out” this season, he’s seeemd decidedly “meh” to me.

What am I missing?  Explain the Kroft love to me.

I imagined the guy in Misery breaking his own ankles when I read this.

I actually liked what I saw from Kroft in his highlights, I get the feeling he would be a lot more productive in an offense that was a bit more wide open.

3 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

I imagined the guy in Misery breaking his own ankles when I read this.

I actually liked what I saw from Kroft in his highlights, I get the feeling he would be a lot more productive in an offense that was a bit more wide open.

So tell me what you liked from Kroft in which highlights, and what you mean by "a bit more wide open"

19 hours ago, artmalibu said:

They bring 90 guys into camp, why shouldnt he be one of them.  Nothing like good camp competition to make a team better....

I think it's more a matter of do you stand pat or move on? 

Kroft is gonna be due $5.6M in salary and roster bonus in 2020.  Add in his amortized signing bonus, that makes him #16 on the TE AAV list or something like that.

Spotrac suggests that Hunter Henry or Austin Hooper (if available) would be something like a $9M AAV signing.  I don't know if that's too "deep end of the pool" for Beane, but he's almost certainly not gonna go after one of those guys if he's got a top-20 TE in AAV already on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think it's more a matter of do you stand pat or move on? 

Kroft is gonna be due $5.6M in salary and roster bonus in 2020.  Add in his amortized signing bonus, that makes him #16 on the TE AAV list or something like that.

Spotrac suggests that Hunter Henry or Austin Hooper (if available) would be something like a $9M AAV signing.  I don't know if that's too "deep end of the pool" for Beane, but he's almost certainly not gonna go after one of those guys if he's got a top-20 TE in AAV already on the roster.

I say hedge, no need to make a hard and fast decision at this point.  If they can bring a guy in great!!  At the end of camp Kroft can be cut, and it would very mean little toward the cap.  Cap room is no problem anyway.  If he is cut now and one of the TEs gets a serious injury in camp/preseason the position could take a big step backwards.  

I see no real upside to cut now. 

I think they’ll look for an upgrade and cut him. Unable to stay healthy. I don’t know if they’ll go after Hooper, but just a replacement level veteran. 

But I think they’ll be looking for a big leap from Knox and Sweeney. Smith will stay on as a blocker. Croom will challenge whoever else is there for the last spot. 

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So tell me what you liked from Kroft in which highlights, and what you mean by "a bit more wide open"

I misstated what I actually watched on Kroft to form my opinion on him when we first signed him; they were actually samples of team highlights that involved him, which gave me an idea of the type of player we were getting: a player with good hands and some quickness. 

By a bit more wide open, I mean by resembling offenses who aggressively look to carve up the opposition through the air (ex., Saints, Chiefs, Buccaneers), versus passing a bunch with the intent of getting your young QB in a rhythm and throwing with confidence, while failing to establish overall balance and rhythm on offense in the process; I think there are a bit of passing plays in the Bills' playbook that lack big-play potential simply because of the sets used.  

4 hours ago, artmalibu said:

Cant they cut him after preseason and save the 5 mil??

Not quite, he's owed a $750,000 roster bonus on 3/22 and $2M of his salary guarantees on that date.

4 hours ago, artmalibu said:

And free agency opens 3/18. 

If thy pay him the roster bonus does the dead money go up $750,000?

The dead money goes up $2.75M (roster bonus plus guaranteed 2020 salary)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not quite, he's owed a $750,000 roster bonus on 3/22 and $2M of his salary guarantees on that date.

So, a sizable gamble.

Thanks for the details!! 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Show him the door now.. just in case the paperwork goes missing in March..