Can someone explain the Tyler Kroft love to me?

1 hour ago, Nick the Greek said:

Knox maybe. 

Sweeney was inactive most weeks until he played in the meaningless game vs the Jets. 

I think the coaches take Kroft over Sweeney all day. 

Sweeney also looked good in pre-season and the first several weeks of the season when both our other guys were banged up. 

Less polished than Kroft right now, but seems like he has really good upside. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

no love here. He ate money and had no production. We need an upgrade. If we got Henry or Hooper I'd be very happy.

….just a wild guess....bet if McBeane knew he'd land Sweeney & Knox in the draft, Kroft signing doesn't happen...……….will be interesting to see what happens with Croom....he's a 2020 ERFA...……..can't see both Croom and Kroft being here......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Steptide said:

Kroft deserves at least 1 more season with buffalo. Was out the entire pre season and a good chunk of the regular season. Give him a full year with Allen and then let's see after next season 

This is what I’m talking about.  What have you seen from Tyler Kroft on the field with the Bills this season, or what have you seen in his previous seasons with the Bengals, that leads you to say he deserves at least 1 more season with Buffalo?

Open question, looking for explanation.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is what I’m talking about.  What have you seen from Tyler Kroft on the field with the Bills this season, or what have you seen in his previous seasons with the Bengals, that leads you to say he deserves at least 1 more season with Buffalo?

He scored the winning TD against the Steelers. He has some good size to him and a half way decent blocker. Is he a #1 TE not in my opinion so rather see us nab Hunter Henry and cut Kroft but time will tell. 

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not much aside from the flashes he has shown earlier in his career.  I think more than anything it's a matter of having him hopefully have one injury free year, time to form an on-the-field bond with Allen and the hopes would be to have 2 above average in mobility terms TE working together along with Sweeney who I happen to believe will be a decent TE in this league.  The Bills won't be in a salary cap crunch next year and my hunch is that they believe they will try to roll with him another year before they cut bait.

Unless of course he either A) does poorly in camp or B) gets injured

Which are both possibilities.  But no need to rush a decision until they get through another camp.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Magox said:

Not much aside from the flashes he has shown earlier in his career.  I think more than anything it's a matter of having him hopefully have one injury free year, time to form an on-the-field bond with Allen and the hopes would be to have 2 above average in mobility terms TE working together along with Sweeney who I happen to believe will be a decent TE in this league.  The Bills won't be in a salary cap crunch next year and my hunch is that they believe they will try to roll with him another year before they cut bait.

Unless of course he either A) does poorly in camp or B) gets injured

Which are both possibilities.  But no need to rush a decision until they get through another camp.

I have no problem with “wait and see what he brings to camp” for Kroft, depending upon his injury guarantees.  The roster bonus he’s due, NBD.

I guess what I’m really wondering about is whether we’re truly set at TE.  Kittle, Kelce, and the Baltimore 3-headed-dragon at TE show how much a strong TE can help a young QB.  Whether we hang onto Kroft through camp or not, do we try to upgrade?

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have no problem with “wait and see what he brings to camp” for Kroft, depending upon his injury guarantees.  The roster bonus he’s due, NBD.

I guess what I’m really wondering about is whether we’re truly set at TE.  Kittle, Kelce, and the Baltimore 3-headed-dragon at TE show how much a strong TE can help a young QB.  Whether we hang onto Kroft through camp or not, do we try to upgrade?

YES. 

We have a lot of “maybe’s”, and no sure fire stud. I’d love to see them find a guy you could count on to make the play when we need it. Based upon the contract, it seems they thought Kroft could be that guy. We still haven’t seen that, so we keep looking until we know we have a #1 TE plus some quality depth guys. 

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think there is a need to do so, YET.

I think there is a good rational case to be made that there are 4 elements at play here that could very well lead to better TE play than what we saw this past year.

1) Knox should see a nice year 2 jump, he has plenty of potential, has shown to be a good blocker who has good speed with good YAC potential.  Very excited to see what a 2nd year with him has in store.

2) Sweeney.  Similar, he's a decent blocker and much more mobile than Lee Smith.  I think he is the logical choice to replace him.  He will have a 2nd year in the system to improve on all fronts and it seemed like to me that he has a good bond with Allen.  I think he could end up being a good TE for the team.

3) Kroft, was injured through part of training camp and all pre season.  Never had a chance to form that on-the-field bond with Allen and if he can show what he's capable of that would give 2 very mobile TE's and one semi mobile one in Sweeney.  

4)  Allen - having another year in the system to have better rapport with these TE's.

I think there is a good chance that our TE play will be better next year than this past year. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There you go! You found one! I was beginning to think you made the entire Kroft love thing up.

On 1/13/2020 at 12:52 AM, Chandler#81 said:

Not feeling the love here, either. Having already dumped Clay and ahead of the Draft, McB jumped on him early in FA because he’s a vet and was available with our TE cupboard completely bare. Not the case this offseason. For him to stick around, he’s gonna have to take a page from the  Croom Manuscript and charm Jessica P into dating him.

Simple as this.
Did he make a case for keeping him another season?
 Well starting out injured, and then Bills seem to give him low snap counts as if he was behind on the mental bits(?) guessing here )

He really never stood out, or looked to be 110%

I saw enough of his errors unfortunately.
Not worth the money, was worth the risk at the time.

Definitely definitely  could upgrade his position. Two ways

Less money , better or equal player via draft.

Better player than the whole bunch via FA/trade.
I have faith in Knox and then Sweeney to both improve noticeably next season.
Kroft if not injured might be all you can get from him. Not Enough imho  

On 1/12/2020 at 11:09 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I'm pretty sure they'll cut him and go for a cheaper veteran.

Can’t believe he makes more then Cole Beasley 

23 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

no love here. He ate money and had no production. We need an upgrade. If we got Henry or Hooper I'd be very happy.

From your mouth to God ? please ??

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/13/2020 at 12:14 PM, Rc2catch said:

I can understand both sides of things. I don’t take issue with most of the talk only the select few who just say “he sucks get rid of him” 

He served his purpose for the most part and they liked what Knox was doing as a receiver so they didn’t need to use kroft ( that can be debated on the short 3rd and shorts Gore was continuously stuffed on) 

I think it would be wise to at least hold onto Kroft until preseason at minimum cause he does have some trade value if teams like the bears are injury stricken again or maybe Olsen in Carolina retires and they need more depth etc etc 

Worst case scenario we get an injury and at least he’s there if needed. 
His salary really doesn’t hurt the ability to sign anyone or limit what the team can do financially. 

Lee smith having a job next year is more concerning to me than Kroft, Sweeney’s blocking cannot be that much worse than smiths when you factor in the penalties and then bump his receiver value as well. 
I could be wrong but I was under the impression at draft Sweeney was a heck of a blocker and not much in the receiving game. But maybe I’m mistaken it’s been awhile since I paid attention to him 

I think it was Knox was the blocker. and Sweeney at least adequate.
agreed about seeing if Kroft can show up at Camp and preseason.
he might have just been another for Veteran presence at the end of the day.

Smith will be a tell as to what Bills Offense want to look like next year

On 1/13/2020 at 7:34 PM, Nick the Greek said:

Knox maybe. 

Sweeney was inactive most weeks until he played in the meaningless game vs the Jets. 

I think the coaches take Kroft over Sweeney all day. 

He played early on while Kroft was injured if you recall
He did alright and held his own. Some very nice catches actually.
Could not keep Kroft on the bench once healthy enough. and Sweeney needs more time, as does Knox

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

After watching the Ravens play us? hell no.
 and i think Daboll agrees 

Edited by 3rdand12