Can someone explain the Tyler Kroft love to me?

5 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

his blocking is awful, hopefully he focuses on that and the drops this offseason.

Sweeney seems promising also. 

Croom... meh

Kroft- about the same as croom to me

something mentioned about Sweeney Around the draft was he has quick hands and makes tough catches.

Cowher liked him as I recall. 

hoping he makes the jump in year 2. 

I went back to look, the draft profile I seen on him was great hands, solid blocker, just not very athletic. 
I remember the blocking now why it stuck in my head. 

Power At POA - He's pretty stout. Handed one on ones against some notable defenders (Ferrell) with effectiveness and admirable anchor. Comes off the ball hard and does well to use his hands to create a stun. Runs the feet through contact and offers enough power to push DEs” 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I see people assuming we’ll keep him and that we’re kind of set at TE.

I’d like to understand the Tyler Kroft love - what do people see in him that’s promising?

He kind of had an uninspiring college career at Rutgers.  He backed up Tyler Eifert with the Bengals, did some good stuff in 2017 after Eifert got hurt, then broke his own foot in 2018 and again in 2019 off-season.

So he kind of had one good year in 2017.  When given a chance to “show out” this season, he’s seeemd decidedly “meh” to me.

What am I missing?  Explain the Kroft love to me.

I don’t know that assuming he’s on the roster is loving him

they could target a TE in free agency before his bonus/guarantees. On their list to address its low-ish priority but a possibility.

I never liked the pickup and hated that he was taking snaps from our talented rookies...then when I think of the feeling of clinching week 15 and the first 10 win season since the 1990s I see Kroft springing free into the end zone Sunday night v. the Steelers.  Totally different feel.  

Kroft was in my opinion the worst signing of the 2019 off-season (although the off-season was mostly littered with great signings.) Even factoring out the fact that he got hurt I would still say they overpaid for a backup TE with moderate upside. In my opinion Kroft is as good as gone in 2020 as he is set to make 6.5 million and if cut saves 5 million on the cap. Yes the Bills cap isn't an issue but if you sign Spain, Phillips and Shaq to deal (even 2 out of the 3) that 89 million in cap space will go down significantly esp if this team wants to preserve 30-40 million in roll over cash. 

This team could seriously use that 5 million in space if they intend to resign 2-3 of their free agents and desire roll over space. I don't see any value Kroft provides at 6.5 million, I would much rather just cut him and sign Hunter Henry or another vet TE to a one year deal to allow Knox to develop a bit more. 

3 hours ago, T master said:

Seeing as they have their 2 TE's they got in last years draft & they have Croom coming back i would use him to get more draft capital from a team like the Fins or another tea in need of decent players & use the money they save towards another FA vet or to sign their own .

I hate that that Kroft was dealt the cards he was this year but just from what we saw while he was out with the 2 young guys then having Smith as the vet in the room i hope they move on & give him the chance to be some where else & develop what they have in house for the future !! 

I don't see any team trading for Kroft esp at a 6.5 million dollar cap hit. I think the Bills options are cut him and take 1.5 million in dead cap (but save 5 million overall) or keep him at a 6.5 million dollar cap hit. Personally I cut him and save the space. 

Power At POA - He's pretty stout. Handed one on ones against some notable defenders (Ferrell) with effectiveness and admirable anchor. Comes off the ball hard and does well to use his hands to create a stun. Runs the feet through contact and offers enough power to push DEs” 

“Create a stun.” 

There is no end to the re-inventing of football terminology in order to look like you have something important to say and know what you’re talking about. Scouts crack me up.

Edited by K-9
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Agreed Mark on the second part.  I don’t know what they are thinking for a third pick whether in free agency or the draft.  Very rarely does a top flight TE come available in FA.

That is true, although Austin Hooper looks like a very talented player.

I just wonder if  Beane & McDermott are looking to upgrade at this area. Knox has great potential and could become the starter next season.

Do they really want to cut Kroft? Tough to say. He's not hurting the team with his contract, but his play was minimal, they can save some good money by releasing him.

5 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

By the time he got on the field this season he looked - how do I say it - fat.  I don’t think he was ever in shape this year, likely because of the injury.  That’s not an excuse by the way.  I’d certainly cut bait this offseason.

I think this is right. 2019 was not a true showing of who he is but that is the NFL sometimes you don't get the breaks (no pun intended). His chance here was this year while two rooks developed behind him. It passed him by because of injury. 

I expect him to be gone. I do expect Lee Smith still to be here though. 

5 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

The tough thing about evaluating TE's when you're a fan is that we're ignorant of a big part of their game.  We focus on the catches & drops but without access to game film or how a play is supposed to be blocked we're in the dark about the total package a TE brings to the table.  We all want to see Kelsey but in this offense that may not even be possible based on the scheme.

With respect to Kroft I suspect his blocking is quite good.  Ditto for Smith.  And given a full training camp & preseason to work with Allen his pass catching contribution should go up.

I get that it would be risky to stand pat at TE but of all the position groups on the offense this is the one I would take that risk on.  A fully healthy Kroft will contribute more next season in the passing game and I have two rookies who showed great promise.  It's reasonable to assume that Knox & Sweeny will be much better next year.  I can see the TE's getting better from this year to next year.  But NOTHING can be done to make Beasley 6 inches taller or knock 10 years off Gore. 

I am not sure why you would bank on Kroft being "fully healthy" or that he would be available for 100% of the preseason prep. His immediate past suggests nothing of the sort and I have to wonder if the only reason he hasn't been hurt again is that he hasn't played much. Generally I don't buy the "injury prone" thing but Kroft may make a believer out of me yet. 

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

his blocking is awful, hopefully he focuses on that and the drops this offseason.

Sweeney seems promising also. 

Croom... meh

Kroft- about the same as croom to me

something mentioned about Sweeney Around the draft was he has quick hands and makes tough catches.

Cowher liked him as I recall. 

hoping he makes the jump in year 2. 

Rookie TE'S typically don't come in perfect. It's one of the hardest positions in football to adapt to.

• Like (+1) 1

Who has been showing Kroft love?  I don't recall there being any sort of love, the most optimistic thing that I have read here about him is that he has some potential and would be willing to give him a shot for next year and that is nowhere near the majority of the views that I've read about him.  I'd say the few opinions that have been offered about him usually go something like:

"Cut him next year, that will save $$ for the cap"

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I see people assuming we’ll keep him and that we’re kind of set at TE.

I’d like to understand the Tyler Kroft love - what do people see in him that’s promising?

He kind of had an uninspiring college career at Rutgers.  He backed up Tyler Eifert with the Bengals, did some good stuff in 2017 after Eifert got hurt, then broke his own foot in 2018 and again in 2019 off-season.

So he kind of had one good year in 2017.  When given a chance to “show out” this season, he’s seeemd decidedly “meh” to me.

What am I missing?  Explain the Kroft love to me.

I wish I could!!

19 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I think Knox and Sweeney showed enough to replace him. Maybe Kroft is solid if healthy, but I can’t see him being worth his salary. 

Knox maybe. 

Sweeney was inactive most weeks until he played in the meaningless game vs the Jets. 

I think the coaches take Kroft over Sweeney all day. 

Edited by Nick the Greek