Can someone explain the Tyler Kroft love to me?

I don’t get the love OR hate he gets

the dude is a Bill and should have at least some support from us, especially since he caught the GW TD against the Pitt.

until he ***** up regularly like a lee smith and his holding penalties, then I don’t see what the fuss is about either way. 

• Like (+1) 3

Was not a fan of the signing to begin with and it turned out the way I thought it would. Kroft is overpaid garbage who has done very little on the field the last couple years. 

His unnecessary holding penalty wiped out a crucial first down gain on a 2nd and 11 vs Texans. He is worthless.

Sayonara.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I think they might bring in some FA competition but I think they're hoping Knox and Sweeney both secure spots on the active list.

9 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

I see a lot of people mention Henry and Hooper in the same breath. Henry is a baller, his numbers suffered as Rivers melted down this season but I’d take him way before I would Hooper. 

Getting Henry or Hooper would be fantastic, but I think this is more wishful thinking than reality.

I agree that the staff is hedging their bets on Knox & Sweeney to be the Tight End duo for the future.

We shall see.

Guilty.... I live in Cincy and applauded the signing and even tried to convince people on this board that Kroft was legit. I was sorely disappointed. 

Watching him play in a Bills Uni, he looked like a 10 year old trying to catch a grasshopper. Probably had more penalty yards than actual receiving yards. 

One TD catch is pretty much the only thing right he did all year. 

We don't need "maybe he'll end up ok" kind of guys. Dump his ass and get winners.

• Like (+1) 2

Guys...

he is 6-6 250.  

In 2017  he had 42 catches and 7 TDs

he ideally would be that red zone jump up pass catcher in betwern the numbers.  Could be used in corner faderoutes too.

id hold onto him and utilize them.

i have seen other teams do this but not the Bills...on 3rd and goal with 5+ yds the q.v. drop back and throws high around the goal posts receivers leap to catch the ball and get feat down.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Why not? All 3 of our young TES have shown promise, don't forget Croom. There is no reason to spend a lot at TE. Develop your own. 

Knox had a very good year by rookie TE standards. He reminds me a lot of young George Kittle. 

Did you see the article about Knox, saying he can't wait to get started training for next season? It's very encouraging. He plans to train with Josh.

I'm excited to see Knox's development!

Sweeney, too, but Knox is a special talent.

• Like (+1) 1

I liked the signing. I always thought his true value was a high end #2 but on a team sorely needing a vet I thought he provided decent upside. But the injuries have always been a legit concern and he basically missed the whole offseason and half if the season which definitely hurt him in terms of being up to speed and by the time he was they had a higher upside guy in the spot in Knox. 

At this point I don't see any way he is here next year or any reason why he should be. 

• Like (+1) 1

What you're missing is that we aren't in "love" with Kroft. He's an average NFL TE and a capable rotation guy. We just drafted Knox and Sweeney who have shown potential, so several other positions are higher priority like RT, WR, DE, RG, CB and LB. Heck, if we just signed or drafted an avg WR then added 2 major studs on the OL, ou offense would be so much better.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Getting Henry or Hooper would be fantastic, but I think this is more wishful thinking than reality.

I agree that the staff is hedging their bets on Knox & Sweeney to be the Tight End duo for the future.

We shall see.

Agreed Mark on the second part.  I don’t know what they are thinking for a third pick whether in free agency or the draft.  Very rarely does a top flight TE come available in FA.

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I see people assuming we’ll keep him and that we’re kind of set at TE.

I’d like to understand the Tyler Kroft love - what do people see in him that’s promising?

He kind of had an uninspiring college career at Rutgers.  He backed up Tyler Eifert with the Bengals, did some good stuff in 2017 after Eifert got hurt, then broke his own foot in 2018 and again in 2019 off-season.

So he kind of had one good year in 2017.  When given a chance to “show out” this season, he’s seeemd decidedly “meh” to me.

What am I missing?  Explain the Kroft love to me.

If we have been giving him love I for one hope you despise me. I have never seen anyone say anything about Kroft needing playing time let aone wanting him here.

• Like (+1) 1

I’d like to understand the Tyler Kroft love - what do people see in him that’s promising?

He kind of had an uninspiring college career at Rutgers.  He backed up Tyler Eifert with the Bengals, did some good stuff in 2017 after Eifert got hurt, then broke his own foot in 2018 and again in 2019 off-season.

So he kind of had one good year in 2017.  When given a chance to “show out” this season, he’s seeemd decidedly “meh” to me.

No Hap is right, I’ve heard the coaching staff speak in glowing terms of Tyler.  I can’t remember who, but one of the best reporters was answering a question whether the Bills consider signing ERIC Ebron this offseason.

He responded by saying the Bills like what they have in the TE room and like what Kroft brings.

I haven’t been overly impressed with Kroft but from

what I’ve read, it sounds like they might want to give him another year 

I like his game, but there’s no point keeping him because we don’t use him in the pass game. His one good year in 17 basically he was a 10 yard and under check down beast for dalton. We don’t do that. Watching Fells on Houston is similar to what we could do with Kroft. Send him out and box out defenders on short routes for short gains or in the red zone. I don’t think I’ve ever seen us do that. So no point paying him at this salary to be an occasional blocker 

I, for one, think he sucks.

And if we're "set at TE," then Beane isn't doing his job.  UNLESS, McDermott can eat some humble pie and put Sweeney on the field.  From what I saw last year, he had the most upside of all 50 of our tight ends.  And don't forget Jason Pegula.

Anyway .. Kroft was swing and a whiff.  I think he's worthless.