Bills are Hiring a “Mental Performance Consultant” (aka Sports Psychologist)

It's good. But like with everything else, a bad sports psychologist could screw a player's head up worse than it already is. 

More art than science IMO. I hope they hire someone good, not just someone with an impressive resume. 

15 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Someone posted on this site that Josh showed evidence of stress and anxiety in the Houston game.  I had noted his eyes and redness of his face, especially after the hit on the sideline.   I thought it might be concussion related, but the poster suggested Josh could benefit from a sports psychologist.  Hmmmmm....

I don’t think a psychologist can help with the physical after effects of being pummeled.

But being too “amped up” before games or reacting to missed plays by feeling “I got to do it myself”, that could help

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

It's good. But like with everything else, a bad sports psychologist could screw a player's head up worse than it already is. 

More art than science IMO. I hope they hire someone good, not just someone with an impressive resume. 

I posted this elsewhere, but I used to play in a tennis league with a sports psychologist. Nice guy, but he could be counted on for some double faults late in a set in a tight situation. I’m sure the Bills can afford better. 

Interesting thing is josh started the houston game well, alot better then he started other games. I felt like what he changed there was for the better. I feel like a sport psychologist can help, I also think getting a bit of a chip on his shoulder and the 'moxie' he has shown at times suits him. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I posted this elsewhere, but I used to play in a tennis league with a sports psychologist. Nice guy, but he could be counted on for some double faults late in a set in a tight situation. I’m sure the Bills can afford better. 

Hahah

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don’t think a psychologist can help with the physical after effects of being pummeled.

But being too “amped up” before games or reacting to missed plays by feeling “I got to do it myself”, that could help

Absolutely!  The original poster alluded to what I and others may have interpreted as resulting from said physical pummeling,  to it being more psychological due to Josh being amped up and stressed out.

43 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Someone posted on this site that Josh showed evidence of stress and anxiety in the Houston game.  I had noted his eyes and redness of his face, especially after the hit on the sideline.   I thought it might be concussion related, but the poster suggested Josh could benefit from a sports psychologist.  Hmmmmm....

It's called emotions in a game

I've seen every player from Manning to Josh get super red in the face, especially when adrenaline is pumping

Sure it sounds like a good idea but realistically every player in the moment either makes plays or doesn't

No shrink or sports psychologist will give you the magic antidote. 

For a team with near unlimited resources it surely won't hurt but it honestly won't be the breakthrough either

Consistently good coaching and upgrading our roster will help more

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

why would we think you’re kidding?

Tom Brady & Kirk Cousins both do (or have done)

Yeah. It's not at all uncommon and I have to believe a SP could be beneficial for Allen. The production has yet to match the raw TALENT, and I believe at least some of that is attributable to over-thinking. The "fearless" thing seemed to have a positive effect for a couple weeks, but it faded. I'd like to see him just "playing football" on a consistent basis.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

It's called emotions in a game

I've seen every player from Manning to Josh get super red in the face, especially when adrenaline is pumping

Sure it sounds like a good idea but realistically every player in the moment either makes plays or doesn't

No shrink or sports psychologist will give you the magic antidote. 

For a team with near unlimited resources it surely won't hurt but it honestly won't be the breakthrough either

Consistently good coaching and upgrading our roster will help more

I agree.   I was surprised that no one was with Josh on the sidelines.   You don't have to be a psychologist to encourage someone or simply offer a perspective.   Someone should have been there, coaching Josh up on the sideline and reminding him that the weight of the game is not entirely on his shoulders. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jkeerie said:

I agree.   I was surprised that no one was with Josh on the sidelines.   You don't have to be a psychologist to encourage someone or simply offer a perspective.   Someone should have been there, coaching Josh up on the sideline and reminding him that the weight of the game is not entirely on his shoulders. 

Absolutely agree.  Where is Dorsey?  Or even the vet receivers like Beas or Lee Smith?