Who’s the one FA you want in 2020?

McBean

9 hours ago, GreggTX said:

100% correct, Twist. Some people just lose it if you criticise him at all. Every Bills fan loves his selfless attitude and work ethic. We all know his scrambling ability is elite. We all desperately want him to succeed. None of that is in question, but the numbers don't lie. He is near the bottom of NFL starting QB's in most every passing stat and he has at least an average supporting cast. No more excuses. You can't count on him coming around after 2 full seasons like Tannehill, for example. It happens, but less often you'd like. His accuraccy, mental aptitude and ability to handle pressure must greatly improve. That sack against Houston that took us out of FG range was a perfect example of what I'm talking about. If he doesn't take an even bigger jump next year, this team will be stuck in neutral until we move on to the next candidate.

That is just wrong......ppl have no problem with evaluating the QB.....but need to understand what BAD QB play actually looks like.

Josh Allen was extremely raw coming into the league......is not close to his ceiling....and is improving year to year.

You throw a QB like that away.....you deserve the losing season you get every year from doing that.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, GreggTX said:

100% correct, Twist. Some people just lose it if you criticise him at all. Every Bills fan loves his selfless attitude and work ethic. We all know his scrambling ability is elite. We all desperately want him to succeed. None of that is in question, but the numbers don't lie. He is near the bottom of NFL starting QB's in most every passing stat and he has at least an average supporting cast. No more excuses. You can't count on him coming around after 2 full seasons like Tannehill, for example. It happens, but less often you'd like. His accuraccy, mental aptitude and ability to handle pressure must greatly improve. That sack against Houston that took us out of FG range was a perfect example of what I'm talking about. If he doesn't take an even bigger jump next year, this team will be stuck in neutral until we move on to the next candidate.

I think what most people are saying is there was a noticeable difference between year 1 and year 2. Did the people who are not happy think he was going to become an elite passer this year? His supporting cast is average at best, especially with the way they used Singletary at RB this year. They need a better group at RB and a legit 3rd WR in today's NFL. He stacked up well this year with other QBs that were drafted before him in the top 10 last year, didn't he? It's like people forget just how rough around the edges he was in 2018.

2018: He had 3 games that he didn't crack a 100 yards passing in 12 games(33%). Minus the last Jets game this year he had 0 in 15 games.

2018: He had 5 games sub 60 QB Rating in 12 games(41.6%). This year he had 1(6.6%)

2018: He had 2 games over a 100 QB Rating(16.6%). This year he had 6(40%)

2018: He had 2 games with 2 Passing TDs or more(16.6%). This year he had 6(40%).

2018: He had 2 games with a Completion Percentage 60% or higher(16.6%). This year he had 8(53.3%) 

2018: He had 0 games with a completion percentage 70% or higher(0%). This year he had 3(20%) including a 79.2% against Dallas on the big stage for the first time.

His TD% went from 3.1% to 4.3%. His INT% was almost cut in half going from 3.8% to 2.0%. He threw only 75% of the INTs this year than he did last year even though his attempts went from 320 to 461.

Most of his runs last year were scrambles because he couldn't read defenses. This year most of his runs were designed runs. When he was scrambling this year he kept his eyes down field and was looking to pass first, run second.

He improved greatly on short to intermediate routes, but still needs to improve his long ball.

Daboll's passing offense has never been good in any season he's been OC ranking 32nd, 29th, 23rd, 32nd, 31st & 26th. Are you really saying this is all on Josh? Doesn't seem like it according to those rankings.

Point is IF Josh takes another jump next year as he did this year, we'll be better off at the QB position than we've been in a long, long time.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I think AJ Green might be my choice. Getting one of the top DEs is a higher priority to me, but due to the number of choices there, I don't really care about one specific DE. AJ is pretty much the only free agent WR I'm interested in (maybe Robby as well, but not sure if McBeane will want him).

I don't get the heavy desire for AJ Green, the dude is coming off of back to back injury prone seasons (he literally missed all of 2019 and half of 2018) and another injury riddled campaign in 2016. His production hasn't been elite since 2015 either. Even in 2017 his last healthy season he was decent but only really a high volume stat inflated season. I am not saying that I wouldn't like to see Green as a vet stop gap for one year (Even if it cost a lot of money like 12+ million.) I don't think this team should invest in a 32 year old receiver who hasn't been a truly elite player since 2015. 

I think a lot of fans are getting fooled by the big name of AJ Green as opposed to the production he is likely to produce in 2020 and beyond. I just don't think he really fits unless it is on a one year deal. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/13/2020 at 12:37 PM, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

No he doesn't, not even close. Barkley 10 TDs   21 INTs, Allen 30 TDs   21 INTs. Barkley has thrown the SAME amount of INTs in 342 attempt to Josh's INTs in 781 attempts. He also has only 1/3 of the TD passes Allen has. 

He can't run to save his life, 17 attempts...wait for it -6 yards 0 TDs. Josh has 198 attempts  1,1141 yards and 17 more TDs

Leadership. I didn't see the team rally around Barkley in his starts vs when Josh plays. This team is firmly behind him.

You must have forgot to mention those in your list of how Barkley is the same as Josh post and they are to date  3 of the bigger differences between them.

Barkley doesn't play because after 7 seasons he's not that good and he still can't hang onto the ball. Like I mentioned before 6.1 career INT%, Jameis Winston threw 30 INTs this year and his INT% was only 4.8.

I'm getting the feeling you're a fan that wants 300 yard games, no matter what. Turnovers kill a team more than anything. Josh & the team have made huge strides in this area since the first Pats**** game this year, that was till Barkley took the field in week 17 thinking the Jest players were his teammates.    

Don’t forget that Barkley lost to McKenzie in a throwing competition. 

On 1/12/2020 at 7:29 PM, McBean said:

I’m going to stir the pot here...

For me?

Marcus Mariota.

The kid had a new offensive coordinator every season in Tennessee, they refused to hand the ball to Henry when he was at QB, and he’s already had huge success before in the league.

Before you all flame away, he would be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over Barkley, and what has Tennessee/Philadelphia showed us the past few years? Never hurts to have a good QB 2.

Lastly, I’m not sold on Josh Allen. I was extremely bullish on him early on but towards the end of the season my optimism has faded. 
Who is your number 1 target and why?

McDermott and Beane have both made it super-clear that they "ride or die" with Josh Allen, so that would be "No"

I'm not so clear why you think Mariota is a significant upgrade on Barkley at this point, either?   I guess he's thrown fewer picks, but the bottom line for both of them seems to be "throw for more yards, throw more picks".  I mean, an upgrade, sure?

On 1/12/2020 at 7:37 PM, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

So you created a new thread to disguise another “I’m not sold on Josh Allen.”  

Yeah, kind of looks that way. 

I mean, I'm not sold on JA myself, but to me the thing to do is throw all our horses at upgrading the offense so that he can be given his best shot to succeed.  A TE who drops 1 of 5 throws that go his way and whiffs big time on blocks, an OL that gets terminally confused by diamond front D with guys stunting and dropping back, leaving the TE to block star pass rushing LB, and throwing to WR who disappear with physical coverage are not cuttin' it. 

Josh Allen isn't showing enough productivity in the passing game, but the Lamar Jackson performance against the Titans demonstrates pretty clearly that you can take a QB capable of 66% completion and turn him into a 50% completion QB if you make him uncomfortable in the pocket and take away his best  targets.

On 1/12/2020 at 7:34 PM, Franchiseneedsme said:

Derrick Henry. If he does become  available I think the Bill's should pay what it takes to get him here. I have heard and said, "you shouldn't pay big $$ for RB's"... but this guy would make us SB contenders without really doing much else IMO.add another solid draft and we could be the 1 seed ne t year

If I'm Tennessee, I do whatever it takes to keep that guy.  But in terms of skills, agree 100%.

It's a puzzlement to me why we don't use Motor more, but I have to believe there's a reason besides "Daboll is inexplicably dumb"

If we are just playing make believe, the playoff version of Derrick Henry, transforms the team.  Like Jerome Bettis  or John Riggins from the past, his window to play at that level is likely short, but it would be a huge change for the Bills. 

On 1/14/2020 at 7:21 AM, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I fear the OL is at the "good enough" point and they will let it go, falling short of dominant.

Then we'll fail to improve our offense.  If that's what Beane thinks, he's learned nothing from 2018 and 2019, despite his charmingly honest admission that "he didn't do enough" in 2018.

I don't know why the point escapes so many, but for whatever reason, we are not running a quick-hit passing game.  Beasley is a great addition over the middle, but his thing is he'll always get open eventually.  He's not Mr. Always Open Immediately, his routes take time.

When Allen has time, as he had vs Tennessee when we played them, Miami(26), Dallas(11), Denver (10), Washington(28) - he can be accurate and sufficiently productive.  When he's under duress, as he was vs NE (2), Cleveland (6) , Eagles, Baltimore (7), Pittsburgh (3), Houston (29, but without Watt half the season) - he's not. 

Plus, while both Motor and Allen have been productive to give us a top-10 rush game, we have been poor at running up the middle it seems to me.  The message seems clear to me - if we want our offense to take a step, our OL needs to take a step.

Now maybe the OL will upgrade itself with more time together, but I'm skeptical.  I think we need at least one more piece.

It seems so simple, but all you need is a dominant line and a good back and you can control football games. It should be top priority. I don't think Dawkins, Feliciano, or Ford (as a tackle) can be starting pieces on a dominant line.

I'm more worried about Spain myself.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm more worried about Spain myself.

So, between you and Giuseppe the only fella we're not worried about is Morse, the guy with the concussion issues?

Nice. I agree the line needs to be upgraded, btw. I hope they make a run at Conklin and kick Ford inside to guard.

FWIW, article from D&C discussing the results of last year's FA.

Interesting to me because it recaps a bunch of names that had just slipped from my radar

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2020/01/15/brandon-beane-buffalo-bills-general-manager-free-agency-2019-mitch-morse-cole-beasley-tyler-kroft/4457881002/

• Like (+1) 1

I fear the OL is at the "good enough" point and they will let it go, falling short of dominant. It seems so simple, but all you need is a dominant line and a good back and you can control football games. It should be top priority. I don't think Dawkins, Feliciano, or Ford (as a tackle) can be starting pieces on a dominant line.

What O-Line free agent additions would make us dominant?

Our weak spot on the O-Line was easily Cody Ford.  Who was a rookie.  Now, I would be OK with sliding him inside and going after another Right Tackle to start.  But there aren't really any RTs available that would make us a dominant unit.  The best is probably Bryan Bulaga, who is the NFL's definition of average.  Not exactly a guy that would give us a killer unit.

If you slide Ford inside, then you probably want to give him a chance to develop there.  Yes, there are some pretty good interior linemen available like Brandon Scherff and Joe Thuney.  But they will probably demand Top 3-5 money at the position.   Is it really great use of cap dollars to invest in one of those guys, when you have a 2nd Round Pick developing and a guy who played pretty good (Jon Feliciano) already on a bargain contract?  I just can't see Beane make another move here, especially after landing Mitch Morse last season.

The best LT available is probably Anthony Castonzo (who very likely won't be hitting free agency anyway).  He is generally considered a pretty good player, but not a great one.  Without considering his age (31) and contract, I would only consider him a marginal upgrade over Dion Dawkins.  I think Dawkins improved quite a bit this year, and a smart team lets him play out his contract year before looking for a replacement.  

Also.... two playoff wins by the Tennessee Titans does not suddenly resurrect 20th century football.  Just like the Rams-Chiefs game from last year didn't suddenly make defense irrelevant (like so many were claiming).  The Bills need more than a dominant line and running back to take the next step.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 1/12/2020 at 7:42 PM, McBean said:

haven’t bashed the kid at all, just stated I’m not sold. Why is that so bad?

I'm not sold either. And starting to suspect most of the fanbase isn't either after seeing the game day threads full of people who just disappear after the game.

Doesn't mean I'm not willing to ride with him.. he just hasn't shown me enough that I've seen others in his class have. Having potential to pan out doesn't mean he has, in fact, already planned out

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 1

I'd love to see us go after Daryl Williams out of Carolina, the knee should be healthy now and he could put Ford inside and create a really solid right side. I'd also like us to take a run at Leonard Williams, I doubt the Giants let him walk, but he can play the LE in a 4-3 and play rush DT making Phillips expendable. But Williams would be near the top of my list at RT.

Side note, if David Johnson becomes available I'd love to add him to pair with Singletary, plus he's a great back in the passing game and as a number two may help his longevity

Edited by Monty98
added