Who’s the one FA you want in 2020?

McBean

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

It actually is not that simple.....you put a back qb on the field and within 3 games they are LOSING games for you

You know what Josh Allen does at his young age?   Pick up his play in the 4th quarter.

Josh Allen is here to stay.....dont like it...too bad

He plays next year like he did this year and the tide will turn on him, guaranteed. 

Either way im not trying to hijack this thread.   I just think its silly to put qb as a need of importance when there are much more glaring needs on this roster at the moment. 

1 hour ago, TwistofFate said:

He plays next year like he did this year and the tide will turn on him, guaranteed. 

Either way im not trying to hijack this thread.   I just think its silly to put qb as a need of importance when there are much more glaring needs on this roster at the moment. 

Twist.....why are you so dense on this?  He IMPROVED IN NEARLY EVERY CATEGORY ACROSS THE BOARD.

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Twist.....why are you so dense on this?  He IMPROVED IN NEARLY EVERY CATEGORY ACROSS THE BOARD.

Hapless and another fella posted a nice chart comparing qbr or some similar metric for all of Josh's passes from before the l.o.s. and over thirty plus, right, left, and center. Nearly every field was improved, some significantly. Just don't understand the folks who believe Allen had a bad year and did not show encouraging signs of becoming a franchise qb. Certainly, Beane and the rest of the team believe he is on that trajectory.

23 hours ago, McBean said:

I’m going to stir the pot here...

For me?

Marcus Mariota.

The kid had a new offensive coordinator every season in Tennessee, they refused to hand the ball to Henry when he was at QB, and he’s already had huge success before in the league.

Before you all flame away, he would be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over Barkley, and what has Tennessee/Philadelphia showed us the past few years? Never hurts to have a good QB 2.

Lastly, I’m not sold on Josh Allen. I was extremely bullish on him early on but towards the end of the season my optimism has faded. 

Who is your number 1 target and why?

Gonna stir is more cause of the silly Watkins thread.

Sammy Watkins!

41ba40d4140237445537746b32c28264.gif

• Like (+1) 3

19 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I actually don't want Jordan Phillips back that much. At least not at his price. We've got Phillips coming back. I'de rather invest on the edge. If you take Phillips + Murphy you have around $15-17 million. I'de rather spend that on a DE. 

I would also try to re-sign Shaq. 

The free agent I want to sign the most is Yannick Njakoue.

Isn't Njakoue the guy that cried because Incognito said something to him ?

I think given who is on the market and what the need for the team is I would strongly prefer they sign a top pass rusher. I think Yannick is the guy they need to target. He will be 26 in 2020 which means he fits the timeline of the team perfectly (highly productive the next 3-4 seasons where they can take advantage of Josh's rookie deal) and would come at a price that I think could make sense (just as the cap gets tight they get off of Hughes and Star's contracts.) I don't think they need to go with a WR like Cooper because you are going to over pay even by the standards of free agency. The Pass Rushers market is much more flushed and I would love to see them fill a need in that market. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/12/2020 at 9:19 PM, GreggTX said:

I'm conflicted here. I've long wondered why TEN didn't recognize what he could do for them, but I don't want to see Singletary's workload reduced. I think DS has a bright future ahead of him and would like to see him get 300+ carries in 2020. I just don't get people wanting to use a high pick on a RB before bolstering the blocking. We also have Christian Wade who showed exceptional running ability and now has a year of training. I'm excited to see what he can do.

I think 300+ carrys is to much for DS. But 15 for DH and 15 for DS seems like the perfect # for both of them.

On 1/12/2020 at 10:00 PM, Niagara Dude said:

Bud DUPREE LB

Jack Conklin RT

Kenyan  Drake RB

Get the first two on the list and you have improved your both our offense and defense,  then draft WR in first round and resign Philips and Lawson. 

Then you get rid of dead wood like Lee Smith/Murphy/Kroft that saves us over 14 million in cap space

Throw in Robbi Anderson and you would have about $26-30M in cap space after the draft. This would make the Dline set for another year, allow for a move during the season if one comes up, and leaves us with a better team and a ton of $$ To roll over in 2021.  I think a offseason like this is probably how the offseason will go. Bean like to be in a position to go BPA on the draft. And alowas have cash on hand

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Im not saying he hasn't.   Im saying it's not enough, especially with the fortunate situation he's been in with this franchise.  His progression should have had a pretty good spike this year with the additional pieces they added around him and a favorable schedule.  It didn't. He remains at or near the bottom of the league in nearly every statistical category. 

Accuracy and consistency still plauge him and it irritates the hell out of me, especially with him going top 10 overall and a history of those issues, pre-draft.

If Allen was a second rounder or third rounder I wouldn't be nearly as critical of him. 

First round Qbs are meant to be franchise guys, especially top 10 picks. 

I have no doubt Beane and Mcd are going to add top tier Wide Out talent and perhaps a RB and Olineman. 

But year 3 is it.  A rebuilt team around him,  talent at all skill positions, 3rd year in the system, and a veteran of this team, I don't want excuses.  I want the performance you'd expect out of a top 10 franchise Qb in year 3. 

Imo that is AT LEAST middle of the pack in nearly every statistical category compared to his NFL counterparts. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Franchiseneedsme said:

I think 300+ carrys is to much for DS. But 15 for DH and 15 for DS seems like the perfect # for both of them.

I don't think 300+ carries(18.75 CPG) is too much for next year. He averaged 17.16 CPG over his last 6 games. I think he can handle and will get the 2 extra carries per game over that average next year to get him over the 300 carry threshold. He averaged 5.1 YPC this year. We need to get Devin the ball more next season than we gave it to him this year. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Since first responding, I've checked up on J Conklin. While he'd be a considerable upgrade at RT, he's just another average OT. Now I'm more inclined to think we should sign a FA WR and draft the best OT we can get in the draft. I really want us to have a couple elite OL. It just makes life so much easier for everyone else on offense when the guys up front take ownership of the LOS. We do need to run more and Josh really struggles when defenses bring pressure. Improving the OL from a C- To a B+ or even an A level would be huge IMO. I just don't know who that WR will be. I still want Thompson back in any case.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Im not saying he hasn't.   Im saying it's not enough, especially with the fortunate situation he's been in with this franchise.  His progression should have had a pretty good spike this year with the additional pieces they added around him and a favorable schedule.  It didn't. He remains at or near the bottom of the league in nearly every statistical category. 

Accuracy and consistency still plauge him and it irritates the hell out of me, especially with him going top 10 overall and a history of those issues, pre-draft.

If Allen was a second rounder or third rounder I wouldn't be nearly as critical of him. 

First round Qbs are meant to be franchise guys, especially top 10 picks. 

I have no doubt Beane and Mcd are going to add top tier Wide Out talent and perhaps a RB and Olineman. 

But year 3 is it.  A rebuilt team around him,  talent at all skill positions, 3rd year in the system, and a veteran of this team, I don't want excuses.  I want the performance you'd expect out of a top 10 franchise Qb in year 3. 

Imo that is AT LEAST middle of the pack in nearly every statistical category compared to his NFL counterparts. 

100% correct, Twist. Some people just lose it if you criticise him at all. Every Bills fan loves his selfless attitude and work ethic. We all know his scrambling ability is elite. We all desperately want him to succeed. None of that is in question, but the numbers don't lie. He is near the bottom of NFL starting QB's in most every passing stat and he has at least an average supporting cast. No more excuses. You can't count on him coming around after 2 full seasons like Tannehill, for example. It happens, but less often you'd like. His accuraccy, mental aptitude and ability to handle pressure must greatly improve. That sack against Houston that took us out of FG range was a perfect example of what I'm talking about. If he doesn't take an even bigger jump next year, this team will be stuck in neutral until we move on to the next candidate.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Since first responding, I've checked up on J Conklin. While he'd be a considerable upgrade at RT, he's just another average OT. Now I'm more inclined to think we should sign a FA WR and draft the best OT we can get in the draft. I really want us to have a couple elite OL. It just makes life so much easier for everyone else on offense when the guys up front take ownership of the LOS. We do need to run more and Josh really struggles when defenses bring pressure. Improving the OL from a C- To a B+ or even an A level would be huge IMO. I just don't know who that WR will be. I still want Thompson back in any case.

I don’t really care how they do it, but that’s exactly what I’d like in our OL. It’s not sexy but it’s effective. Give josh some hogs

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/12/2020 at 9:15 PM, mjt328 said:

One of the primary goals of Free Agency should be to setup the draft, and allow us to go BPA instead of desperately filling holes.

This year's draft is very strong at certain positions, and very weak at others.  From my vantage point, the #22 spot is going to be a great position for any team in need of a Wide Receiver.  There also seem to be some good Running Back and Cornerback options that slip to us the 2nd Round.  So my main targets in Free Agency will focus on the spots we probably can't fill in the draft.

• On top of that list should be pass rusher.  My plan would be to re-sign Shaq Lawson, add another DE and then cut Trent Murphy.  Guys like Jadeveon Clowney, Yannick Ngakoue or Arik Armstead would be great additions.  There are some other guys on the market who could help as well, such as Bud Dupree, Matthew Judon or Shaq Barrett.  Someone versatile like Kyle Van Noy would be a great replacement for Lorenzo Alexander.
  • My guess is that Jordan Phillips will not have a huge market, seeing the high number of interior defensive linemen on the market.  I would like to get him back on a fair deal.  But if the Bills can't get him back, there are lots of other options like Chris Jones, Leonard Williams or Javon Hargrave.
  • The WR market is fools gold this year.  Amari Cooper is easily the best option, and he runs very hot and cold.  AJ Green and Larry Fitzgerald are pretty much done.  Like I said earlier, this is the position to hit in the draft.  On the TE side, I think Hunter Henry is the best option available, but is too injury prone and undependable.  I think Dawson Knox has more potential that Austin Hooper.
  • Offensive Line is a position I would (maybe) be comfortable keeping relatively the same as 2019.  The coaching staff really needs to settle on a long-term position for Cody Ford.  If they are confident he can be our Right Tackle, then bring back Quinton Spain and leave the O-Line intact.  If they think he projects to guard, then slide him inside and go after Jack Conklin.
  • As a luxury, I would like to make an offer to Byron Jones.  Pairing him with Tre White could really make our defense unstoppable.

I fear the OL is at the "good enough" point and they will let it go, falling short of dominant. It seems so simple, but all you need is a dominant line and a good back and you can control football games. It should be top priority. I don't think Dawkins, Feliciano, or Ford (as a tackle) can be starting pieces on a dominant line.

On 1/12/2020 at 7:34 PM, Franchiseneedsme said:

Derrick Henry. If he does become  available I think the Bill's should pay what it takes to get him here. I have heard and said, "you shouldn't pay big $$ for RB's"... but this guy would make us SB contenders without really doing much else IMO.add another solid draft and we could be the 1 seed ne t year

Spending big money on a 2nd RB is about the stupidest thing Bean could do. Can you name another team that has done this in the past decade? Then if you can, did that team jump to the #1 seed? Stop the Derrick Henry hysteria. Everyone was always pissed when Buffalo kept drafting RBs in the first round year after year, this is the equivalency of that but worse.

?

9 hours ago, Franchiseneedsme said:

So pay top RB money for a guy that gets 50% of the snaps? Oh and he can't catch out of the backfield!  This is a passing league. In no way should you give a 2nd RB top 3 money.

?

Edited by MrSarcasm

5 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I have to agree. I never really liked Conklin, even during draft time. He's a grinder, and an overachiever, but he's not a big deal and I hate teh idea of paying a RT anyway. And he's had injury issues. I'd rather invest big bucks in an elite guard like Scherff. 

I think AJ Green might be my choice. Getting one of the top DEs is a higher priority to me, but due to the number of choices there, I don't really care about one specific DE. AJ is pretty much the only free agent WR I'm interested in (maybe Robby as well, but not sure if McBeane will want him).

• Like (+1) 1