Who’s the one FA you want in 2020?

McBean

7 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

One of the primary goals of Free Agency should be to setup the draft, and allow us to go BPA instead of desperately filling holes.

This year's draft is very strong at certain positions, and very weak at others.  From my vantage point, the #22 spot is going to be a great position for any team in need of a Wide Receiver.  There also seem to be some good Running Back and Cornerback options that slip to us the 2nd Round.  So my main targets in Free Agency will focus on the spots we probably can't fill in the draft.

• On top of that list should be pass rusher.  My plan would be to re-sign Shaq Lawson, add another DE and then cut Trent Murphy.  Guys like Jadeveon Clowney, Yannick Ngakoue or Arik Armstead would be great additions.  There are some other guys on the market who could help as well, such as Bud Dupree, Matthew Judon or Shaq Barrett.  Someone versatile like Kyle Van Noy would be a great replacement for Lorenzo Alexander.
  • My guess is that Jordan Phillips will not have a huge market, seeing the high number of interior defensive linemen on the market.  I would like to get him back on a fair deal.  But if the Bills can't get him back, there are lots of other options like Chris Jones, Leonard Williams or Javon Hargrave.
  • The WR market is fools gold this year.  Amari Cooper is easily the best option, and he runs very hot and cold.  AJ Green and Larry Fitzgerald are pretty much done.  Like I said earlier, this is the position to hit in the draft.  On the TE side, I think Hunter Henry is the best option available, but is too injury prone and undependable.  I think Dawson Knox has more potential that Austin Hooper.
  • Offensive Line is a position I would (maybe) be comfortable keeping relatively the same as 2019.  The coaching staff really needs to settle on a long-term position for Cody Ford.  If they are confident he can be our Right Tackle, then bring back Quinton Spain and leave the O-Line intact.  If they think he projects to guard, then slide him inside and go after Jack Conklin.
  • As a luxury, I would like to make an offer to Byron Jones.  Pairing him with Tre White could really make our defense unstoppable.

Agreed on Conklin and I'd love to see us add a premier DE along with B Jones. Sign Clowney and let Murphy and Shaq go so we can more easily absorb the cost, then draft an edge rusher to develop as the 4th DE. Our D would be even 2 shades stronger with Oliver returning and let's not forget Phillips x2. Jordan is starting to come on and Harry was playing really well before that unfortunate injury. I'm thinking that replacing Lo won't be as difficult. These moves could make this the best D we've seen in decades. Do we have cap space? I want Spain and Wallace back too. We go WR in the 1st and BPA in rounds 2-7.

1 hour ago, McBean said:

I’m going to stir the pot here...

For me?

Marcus Mariota.

The kid had a new offensive coordinator every season in Tennessee, they refused to hand the ball to Henry when he was at QB, and he’s already had huge success before in the league.

Before you all flame away, he would be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over Barkley, and what has Tennessee/Philadelphia showed us the past few years? Never hurts to have a good QB 2.

Lastly, I’m not sold on Josh Allen. I was extremely bullish on him early on but towards the end of the season my optimism has faded. 

Who is your number 1 target and why?

think he’d be a decent signing but can’t be your primary target for the offseason 

32 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Jack Conklin. Likely to hit Free Agency and seems like a good character toughness fit that the Bills covet.

I was a Conklin fan until I heard he has had 2 knee surgeries and that they have had to give him help. That tells me he will get overpaid and yet not last long. Pass please. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, McBean said:

For me?

Marcus Mariota.

The kid had a new offensive coordinator every season in Tennessee, they refused to hand the ball to Henry when he was at QB, and he’s already had huge success before in the league.

Before you all flame away, he would be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over Barkley, and what has Tennessee/Philadelphia showed us the past few years? Never hurts to have a good QB 2.

Lastly, I’m not sold on Josh Allen. I was extremely bullish on him early on but towards the end of the season my optimism has faded. 

Contestant: Alex, I'll take Words Uttered By No One....Ever

Alex: The answer, Marcus Mariota

Contestant: Who's my #1 2020 Free Agent target?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

1 hour ago, McBean said:

For me?

Marcus Mariota.

Bud DUPREE LB

Jack Conklin RT

Kenyan  Drake RB

Get the first two on the list and you have improved your both our offense and defense,  then draft WR in first round and resign Philips and Lawson. 

Then you get rid of dead wood like Lee Smith/Murphy/Kroft that saves us over 14 million in cap space

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

Of all the possible available FA's, he's your guy?  Tennessee seemed to get much better when he was benched.  And he wouldn't even start here.  Wouldn't you rather have Clowney or Yannick?

I believe Marcus would be a solid backup to Josh in case you know what hits the fan.

Marcus didn’t get a fair shake in Tennessee. He’s proven in the past he can be elite.

I hope Josh Allen is a top 10 quarterback in the NFL starting next season. I’m really pulling for #17, make no mistake!!

However, I believe signing Mariota is excellent value and would only help this team. Just my thoughts.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

Of all the possible available FA's, he's your guy?  Tennessee seemed to get much better when he was benched.  And he wouldn't even start here.  Wouldn't you rather have Clowney or Yannick?

Clowney and Yannick are going to break the bank. Those contracts typically don’t work out.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JetsFan20 said:

Clowney and Yannick are going to break the bank. Those contracts typically don’t work out.

In your defense, you did hand out one of those contracts on defense last year, and it didn’t exactly work out.   Hopefully for y’all, CJ stays healthy in 2020. 

6 minutes ago, McBean said:

I believe Marcus would be a solid backup to Josh in case you know what hits the fan.

Marcus didn’t get a fair shake in Tennessee. He’s proven in the past he can be elite.

I hope Josh Allen is a top 10 quarterback in the NFL starting next season. I’m really pulling for #17, make no mistake!!

However, I believe signing Mariota is excellent value and would only help this team. Just my thoughts.

Would not be surprised to see him sign with Dolphins for an opportunity to start again,  i doubt he wants to backup Allen

1 hour ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Say what you want.  Some of us are keen on your intent, which is to disguise your “not sold” bit in a new thread about looking to upgrade the back-up QB.

It’s far juicier than that! He opened it to ALL Free Agents as part of the disguise. And then went immediately for the Hate Point. 

It was a good topic title, ruined by bad intent. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

At some point you need to have a big play and big pay player,  he would be that on our defense.  Having said that i think the Bills would have better shot at Bud Dupree LB from Steelers.  

12 minutes ago, McBean said:

Elite in what way? Did he have a good year, sure, but his best 2 years were year 1 and year 2 in his 5 year career. The in years 3 & 4 he had 24 TDs  23 INTs and his yards per game have gone down every year he's played. 

Over 4 years as a starter and you believe he didn't get a fair shake? The playoffs have shown us all the Titans need from the QB position is someone not to screw it up.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, McBean said:

For me?

Marcus Mariota.

It sure the hell isnt a qb

what the hell is wrong with you

Edited by John from Riverside

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

Jack Conklin. Likely to hit Free Agency and seems like a good character toughness fit that the Bills covet.

There is no doubt that Conklin would be a great addition.  If Conklin hits the market, there will likely be a bidding war to sign him.  The cost will be high.  I can't see Beane throwing big money at a second offensive lineman (like Morse last year).  IMHO Beane will target his free agent spending on a DE or a WR to play outside opposite John Brown.  If he resigns Lawson, then WR may jump to the top of his list.