Who’s the one FA you want in 2020?

McBean

4 minutes ago, krf139 said:

When anyone raises the slightest ounce of skepticism of Josh and our bottom 5 pass offense, they are immediately dismissed on this board.  Very odd 

No, just be honest in your post.  Could have easily just said bring in Mariota to compete with Josh for the starting QB gig.  

Edited by Lieutenant Aldo Raine
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

To be fair I don’t understand why NFL teams don’t value the backup QB position. It’s widely considered the most important position in sports so why not add competitive depth?

What’s the downside of adding Mariota for teams like the Jets and Bills? It’s going to make Allen and Darnold sweat it out? Isn’t that a good thing?

Edited by JetsFan20
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, JetsFan20 said:

To be fair I don’t understand why NFL teams don’t value the backup QB position. It’s widely considered the most important position in sports so why not add competitive depth?

What’s the downside of adding Mariota for the Jets and Bills? It’s going to make Allen and Darnold sweat it out? Isn’t that a good thing?

Why would he go to either team? He is either soooooo bad very few teams will make an offer so he settles for a Jets or bills, or he’s decent and someone will pay him to have a chance to win a starting job. It makes zero sense for him to go to a team with a possible franchise quarterback on a rookie deal. His only shot to play is injury. 

Mariota could compete for the starting job, but would be too expensive as a backup. Conklin at RT would be great as would A Cooper, but Dallas isn't about to let Cooper walk. Signing Conklin allows us to go for a WR in the 1st round. It would also allow us to move Ford inside to compete with Feliciano. Resigning Q Spain is a must as well.

• Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Franchiseneedsme said:

Derrick Henry. If he does become  available I think the Bill's should pay what it takes to get him here. I have heard and said, "you shouldn't pay big $$ for RB's"... but this guy would make us SB contenders without really doing much else IMO.add another solid draft and we could be the 1 seed ne t year

Henry is not doing here what he's doing in Tennessee with this O Line. 

• Like (+1) 1

anyone who helps us score points. be aggressive.  

sign Amari Cooper and draft Shenault Jr. maybe add a RT in FA and draft a backup RB. that would completely revamp this offense. 

If Beane thinks he can go into next season by simply adding a 2nd or 3rd round rookie WR to the offense and that's it he is way out of his depth. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

One of the primary goals of Free Agency should be to setup the draft, and allow us to go BPA instead of desperately filling holes.

This year's draft is very strong at certain positions, and very weak at others.  From my vantage point, the #22 spot is going to be a great position for any team in need of a Wide Receiver.  There also seem to be some good Running Back and Cornerback options that slip to us the 2nd Round.  So my main targets in Free Agency will focus on the spots we probably can't fill in the draft.

• On top of that list should be pass rusher.  My plan would be to re-sign Shaq Lawson, add another DE and then cut Trent Murphy.  Guys like Jadeveon Clowney, Yannick Ngakoue or Arik Armstead would be great additions.  There are some other guys on the market who could help as well, such as Bud Dupree, Matthew Judon or Shaq Barrett.  Someone versatile like Kyle Van Noy would be a great replacement for Lorenzo Alexander.
  • My guess is that Jordan Phillips will not have a huge market, seeing the high number of interior defensive linemen on the market.  I would like to get him back on a fair deal.  But if the Bills can't get him back, there are lots of other options like Chris Jones, Leonard Williams or Javon Hargrave.
  • The WR market is fools gold this year.  Amari Cooper is easily the best option, and he runs very hot and cold.  AJ Green and Larry Fitzgerald are pretty much done.  Like I said earlier, this is the position to hit in the draft.  On the TE side, I think Hunter Henry is the best option available, but is too injury prone and undependable.  I think Dawson Knox has more potential that Austin Hooper.
  • Offensive Line is a position I would (maybe) be comfortable keeping relatively the same as 2019.  The coaching staff really needs to settle on a long-term position for Cody Ford.  If they are confident he can be our Right Tackle, then bring back Quinton Spain and leave the O-Line intact.  If they think he projects to guard, then slide him inside and go after Jack Conklin.
  • As a luxury, I would like to make an offer to Byron Jones.  Pairing him with Tre White could really make our defense unstoppable.

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Maybe Amari Cooper.  

I'd like Clowney but really should be on O.

I’d sure take Clowney.  I like him better as a DE than I do Cooper as a WR.  Plus DE will be difficult to fill in the draft.  WR should not be a problem. 

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, McBean said:

I’m going to stir the pot here...

For me?

Marcus Mariota.

The kid had a new offensive coordinator every season in Tennessee, they refused to hand the ball to Henry when he was at QB, and he’s already had huge success before in the league.

Before you all flame away, he would be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over Barkley, and what has Tennessee/Philadelphia showed us the past few years? Never hurts to have a good QB 2.

Lastly, I’m not sold on Josh Allen. I was extremely bullish on him early on but towards the end of the season my optimism has faded. 

Who is your number 1 target and why?

No flaming for the Marcus Mariota idea.  I think he would be a very good backup option for us.

That's OK if you aren't sold on Josh Allen.  He clearly needs improvement before we can be fully confident he's the answer.

But if you think the coaching staff doesn't give him AT LEAST 3 full seasons (and probably 4) before looking elsewhere, then you are fooling yourself.

• Thank you (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Franchiseneedsme said:

Derrick Henry. If he does become  available I think the Bill's should pay what it takes to get him here. I have heard and said, "you shouldn't pay big $$ for RB's"... but this guy would make us SB contenders without really doing much else IMO.add another solid draft and we could be the 1 seed ne t year

I'm conflicted here. I've long wondered why TEN didn't recognize what he could do for them, but I don't want to see Singletary's workload reduced. I think DS has a bright future ahead of him and would like to see him get 300+ carries in 2020. I just don't get people wanting to use a high pick on a RB before bolstering the blocking. We also have Christian Wade who showed exceptional running ability and now has a year of training. I'm excited to see what he can do.

11 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Why would he go to either team? He is either soooooo bad very few teams will make an offer so he settles for a Jets or bills, or he’s decent and someone will pay him to have a chance to win a starting job. It makes zero sense for him to go to a team with a possible franchise quarterback on a rookie deal. His only shot to play is injury. 

He’s going to want to follow the Ryan Tannehill model and sit behind a young QB on a short leash. I don’t think either the Jets or Bills are there yet with Darnold and Allen. 

I could see Chicago being an interesting fit as Mariota would fit Nagys system well IMO.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JetsFan20 said:

He’s going to want to follow the Ryan Tannehill model and sit behind a young QB on a short leash. I don’t think either the Jets or Bills are there yet with Darnold and Allen. 

I could see Chicago being an interesting fit as Mariota would fit Nagys system well IMO.

Neither Darnold or Allen are on a short leash.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JetsFan20 said:

I just listed a bunch of teams earlier and that was only the AFC. He will have way better opportunities than buffalo to start. Maybe we can get Foles when he’s cut. 

12 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Neither Darnold or Allen are on a short leash.

Exactly-both QBs are incredibly young and lacking requisite surrounding talent on offense. Fans expect these kids to come right in and carry the team, but that’s unrealistic. 

Trubisky on the other hand is entering a make break season and QBs a team is win-now 

Edited by JetsFan20