Is Dorsey being groomed by Daboll?

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I was just wondering if there's been any news on this front?

We nearly just lost Daboll, so I'm sure McDermott at least started thinking about his replacement. 

Since we now get the rarity of the same HC/OC/QB combo for the 3rd consecutive season, I think it would be wise to be prepared for the replacement plan for Daboll when (most likely)/if we lose him next offseason.

So, how do we think Ken Dorsey would be as an OC after 2 seasons of absorbing Daboll's work? He was an actual QB, so I'm thinking that type of in-game experience would give him a different and important perspective. 

How might he be as OC?

could be but as long as we run a balanced offense we will be fine.

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I was just wondering if there's been any news on this front?

We nearly just lost Daboll, so I'm sure McDermott at least started thinking about his replacement. 

Since we now get the rarity of the same HC/OC/QB combo for the 3rd consecutive season, I think it would be wise to be prepared for the replacement plan for Daboll when (most likely)/if we lose him next offseason.

So, how do we think Ken Dorsey would be as an OC after 2 seasons of absorbing Daboll's work? He was an actual QB, so I'm thinking that type of in-game experience would give him a different and important perspective. 

How might he be as OC?

This is a very good question and I do think it makes a lot of sense.  It’s just like a boss who knows one one of his employees has been getting his MBA - you start to build a contingency plan.  I’m sure that McDermott is here, knowing that Daboll is probably one good year away from being a HC.  

The idea of Dorsey as OC is interesting.  McDermott actually interviewed him in 2017, though he chose an underwhelming choice of Rick Dennison.  So maybe at the time he wasn’t ready.  But 4 seasons later and I think Dorsey probably would have been the choice if Daboll got the Cleveland position.  

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yea keeping the same system would be ideal but there is NOTHING that says Dorsey would want to run the same offense .. he is there to Help Josh on mechanics and progressions and such not have a playbook

His philosophy could be totally different

Also playcalling has been a huge issue and again Dorsey has NEVER called plays.. it's already such a demanding job that a QB coach going to green OC has a huge transition

I want the best OC available and it isn't Dorsey, honestly

Well... that's the point, isn't it? We don't know... but McDermott and Co. Might feel differently, especially if there's any indication he's being trained in any way under Daboll.

I understand he hasn't been an OC.

Every OC has a first job as an OC, and if you look at recent history, a whole lot of OCs get their first OC job with a team or coach they're attached to and because that current OC left the building. It happened for Matt Nagy, Sean McVay, Doug Pederson and Kevin Stephansky where they had absolutely no Offensive Coordinator experience, but were promoted to the position within their own team.

Do you know something I don't? Is there something in Dorsey's past that tells you he wouldn't be the best option at OC?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yea keeping the same system would be ideal but there is NOTHING that says Dorsey would want to run the same offense .. he is there to Help Josh on mechanics and progressions and such not have a playbook

His philosophy could be totally different

Also playcalling has been a huge issue and again Dorsey has NEVER called plays.. it's already such a demanding job that a QB coach going to green OC has a huge transition

I want the best OC available and it isn't Dorsey, honestly

Anthony Lynn had never called plays either.   

And Dorsey isn't just some dude who started out fetching coffee or a even just a former NFL RB like Lynn............he was an actual NFL QB so I think the concerns about inexperience shouldn't include the basic execution of the position.

Whether he would be a good gameday play caller remains to be seen............Daboll has been doing it for years in the NFL and he's never been good at it.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Well... that's the point, isn't it? We don't know... but McDermott and Co. Might feel differently, especially if there's any indication he's being trained in any way under Daboll.

I understand he hasn't been an OC.

Every OC has a first job as an OC, and if you look at recent history, a whole lot of OCs get their first OC job with a team or coach they're attached to and because that current OC left the building. It happened for Matt Nagy, Sean McVay, Doug Pederson and Kevin Stephansky where they had absolutely no Offensive Coordinator experience, but were promoted to the position within their own team.

Do you know something I don't? Is there something in Dorsey's past that tells you he wouldn't be the best option at OC?

All those guys you mentioned were considered supremely gifted offensive minds even before being an OC

Dorsey is a good coach but nobody has ever called him an offensive savant to my knowledge, those guys were on completely different levels. He honestly isn't even a top 5 QB coach

And yes , they need to find Josh a guy who IS going to get it done, not MIGHT be able too

I like our staff but Dorsey is just another Carolina connection imo and if we need a new OC I'd rather have someone with a resume of being a offensive savant

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Anthony Lynn had never called plays either.   

And Dorsey isn't just some dude who started out fetching coffee or a even just a former NFL RB like Lynn............he was an actual NFL QB so I think the concerns about inexperience shouldn't include the basic execution of the position.

Whether he would be a good gameday play caller remains to be seen............Daboll has been doing it for years in the NFL and he's never been good at it.

Everybody here trashed Culley and called him a WR coach and he also was a D1 QB and knew plenty about the position. And he's super respected in coaching circles

An OC needs to design an offense and know how to call a game.. sure he can do it... But there's nothing that suggests he would be good to very good.. it would be a total crapshoot

Dorsey is a good but not elite QB coach.. he isn't a Matt Nagy in waiting

He might be decent but there's a better chance he actually calls a worse game than Daboll

I want Josh to have a Top flight offensive coordinator if we need a new one.. and they should want to work with Josh 

Edited by Buffalo716

Dorsey is a very bright guy who was one of the better college QBs purely based on his brain rather than his arm.  I suspect that he is going to be a great OC with whichever team gives him an opportunity.

As an aside, I saw a lot of improvement with Josh Allen from year one to year two. Dorsey seems to be doing a good job with him (of course, Josh is not a finished product by any stretch of the imagination).

I’m sure McDermott has people in mind. I wouldn’t mind giving Dorsey a shot if/when Daboll gets a head job, or if the offense regresses and a change is made in-season. 

Dorsey has been in the league for a while now and I like the idea of a former QB as our OC. He did a nice job with Newton in Carolina and has helped Josh along here as well. 

I see no reason why he couldn’t be an OC down the road. 

12 hours ago, Bangarang said:

You’re like my wife who constantly asks me questions that I have no way of knowing the answer. 

And then gets PO'd at you for "always" saying "I don't know." Hmmmm... You sure we're not married to the same woman? LOL

I think if Daboll had gone this offseason it would have been Dorsey and they would have told him to stick with the E-P. If Josh takes a leap next year and the offense with superior talent takes a bump of 4 or 5 points per game and into the top half of the league then we will almost certainly lose Daboll to a HC job and Dorsey would again be in the frame because it is likely they don't want to change the offense. If, however, there is stagnation or regression this year then the chances are Daboll is out and the Bills want to change offensive systems for year 4 Josh.

• Like (+1) 1

He would be my first choice which that ain't saying much but from the out side looking in the guy has the experience hands down over Dabol he actually played the game, look at Frank Reich !!

That's exactly the way he went about it & i think it would be a great idea especially seeing as he has the experience on the field, as a back up, as a QB's coach the next step in the progression would be OC & i for one think he would be really good at it & he is closer in age to Josh so that could help !! 

I would presume that the last thing on Daboll's mind is whether or not he is "grooming" his eventual replacement.  He clearly wants a HC gig but until that happens the best way for him to present himself as a viable candidate is by showing success in his current role with the Bills.  He is and will be focused solely on making Josh and the offense better.

Now, if Dorsey also wants to move up the ranks he is no doubt absorbing everything while also contemplating what he would do in that role, so that if/when Daboll leaves he is prepared to state his case to McD why he should be the next OC.