Is Dorsey being groomed by Daboll?

I was just wondering if there's been any news on this front?

We nearly just lost Daboll, so I'm sure McDermott at least started thinking about his replacement. 

Since we now get the rarity of the same HC/OC/QB combo for the 3rd consecutive season, I think it would be wise to be prepared for the replacement plan for Daboll when (most likely)/if we lose him next offseason.

So, how do we think Ken Dorsey would be as an OC after 2 seasons of absorbing Daboll's work? He was an actual QB, so I'm thinking that type of in-game experience would give him a different and important perspective. 

How might he be as OC?

13 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

We nearly just lost Daboll, so I'm sure McDermott at least started thinking about his replacement. 

Since we now get the rarity of the same HC/OC/QB combo for the 3rd consecutive season, I think it would be wise to be prepared for the replacement plan for Daboll when (most likely)/if we lose him next offseason.

So, how do we think Ken Dorsey would be as an OC after 2 seasons of absorbing Daboll's work? He was an actual QB, so I'm thinking that type of in-game experience would give him a different and important perspective. 

How might he be as OC?

Well if Dorsey can learn from Daballs" mistakes he'll be great  !!!!

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

You’re like my wife who constantly asks me questions that I have no way of knowing the answer. 

Didn't realize I directed that question to you.

If you don't know, you don't know.

Someone else may know more than you or I do about Dorsey as a potential OC and whether he's being groomed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Didn't realize I directed that question to you.

If you don't know, you don't know.

Someone else may know more than you or I do about Dorsey as a potential OC and whether he's being groomed.

Lighten up, it was a joke. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

How might he be as OC?

Doubt he's being groomed, but I'm sure he's observing and probably gaining an understanding of how the OC operates.  Actual QB's are much more likely to be good OC's than fake QB's.

• Like (+1) 1

I would say, "No."  On the other hand, every NFL coaching staff knows there is nothing remotely permanent about staffing arrangements.  Moreover, most assistants have some hope of advancing to positions of greater responsibility and pay.  I'm sure McDermott welcomes this sort of thinking.  Applying that to Dorsey's relationship with Daboll: while I don't think there is any formal grooming agreement in place, I'm sure Dorsey has been learning anything he can from Daboll and has made sure he knows the offense backwards, forwards and inside out.  He's in the meetings the team has for offensive game planning, and probably asks a ton of questions and has significant input.   I'm sure Daboll is fine with the questions and the input.

I suspect that Beane and McDermott have a list of possible replacement coaches from the OC, DC on down, it would be really bad if they didn’t have a plan for these sort of contingencies. As to Ken Dorsey, he’s been rubbing shoulders with OCs for a while now, I wouldn’t be completely surprised if he is being groomed, Sean likes guy who can play multiple positions ??

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Lighten up, it was a joke. 

Light as a feather my brotha :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, 1st&ten said:

Well if Dorsey can learn from Daballs" mistakes he'll be great  !!!!

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I would want someone with wayyy more proven track record than Dorsey new to the position

OC is wayyy more commanding than a QB coach and I'd prefer experience

I like the idea of continuity of system with some obvious personal tweaks Dorsey might bring in. Also looking for better instincts on actual play calling. 

Brand new OC from outside will mean brand new system.

Yes, I realize this is a long way off... it'd just be a good plan to start grooming Dorsey and seeing if he has what it takes.

12 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Light as a feather my brotha :thumbsup:

I like the idea of continuity of system with some obvious personal tweaks Dorsey might bring in. Also looking for better instincts on actual play calling. 

Brand new OC from outside will mean brand new system.

Yes, I realize this is a long way off... it'd just be a good plan to start grooming Dorsey and seeing if he has what it takes.

Yea keeping the same system would be ideal but there is NOTHING that says Dorsey would want to run the same offense .. he is there to Help Josh on mechanics and progressions and such not have a playbook

His philosophy could be totally different

Also playcalling has been a huge issue and again Dorsey has NEVER called plays.. it's already such a demanding job that a QB coach going to green OC has a huge transition

I want the best OC available and it isn't Dorsey, honestly