Watching the playoffs and this team was closer to a superbowl than we think

Hebert19

On 1/12/2020 at 8:44 PM, mjt328 said:

I prefer to look at the NFL in tiers.  Teams generally play 50/50 ball against teams in the same tier, struggle against those above them, and  take care of business against those below them.

In my opinion, the only clear Tier 1 teams in the AFC were the Ravens and Chiefs.  The Patriots started the season there, but regressed badly in the final month.  The Titans have played extremely well the last two weeks, but I think they get destroyed in the Championship game.

The Bills were clearly a Tier 2 team this year.  They split wins-losses against the other similar teams, such as the Titans, Steelers, Texans, Cowboys and Eagles.  They were almost perfect against the NFL's average/below average teams.  But they couldn't quite get over the hump against the teams on the next level - Ravens, Patriots.  So unfortunately, I don't think the Bills would have been able to pull off 3 straight wins in the postseason.

To get to the next level, the Bills need their offense to step up.  That starts with Josh Allen progressing from a bottom quarter QB into the top half of the NFL.  It will require more weapons in the passing and running game, and more consistent play from the offensive line.

I agree with the 3 tiers and how you look at them.  One good offseason improving the roster, improving on offense and the coaching staff learning to be less conservative and I think we will be Tier One.

With our schedule next year we play a lot of Tier One teams and will find out where we stand.

If we are a Tier One team and play 50/50 against Tier One teams next year and take care of business with the others we will he back in the playoffs and more competitive in them.

We need receivers.  As I watch the playoffs that is a big hole.  Watch carefully.  Not every completion is perfect.  The recievers bail out their QBs time to time.  It's just so automatic we don't really notice it.  Pass was a lil low and the receiver managed to snag it?  That's what they're paid for, we say.  But not the Bills.  That same, slightly off pass gets dropped 99% of the time, and we then blame Allen.  The Bills' WRs give Allen precious little margin of error, and when you think on it, that can mean the difference between 1st down and a 4th down punt.  We also have nobody who will fight for the ball.  Look at Duke Williams, and the end-zone incompletion.  Disregard the arguement as to why he dropped it and look carefully.  Duke at least gave Allen enough confidence to throw a contested pass into the end zone.  That...never happened before.  Either the receiver was wide open, or we threw it short and hoped he could run in.  Not saying Duke is the answer, that's an already raging argument.  Just...can we agree that is a deficiency we need addressed?

This team is closer then we thought.  I think if, just as an example, we had AB (without the psych issues) or OBJ on this team all season, we would have taken the East and at least made it to the divisional round.  Yes, Allen needs to improve, but he also needs receivers that are able to bail him out now and then.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The NFL varies so much year to year that it is hard to tell just what the landscape will be. Regardless of what the rest of the division does and the rest of the AFC does it is going to the Bills success is always going to come down to just how much can Josh progress. 2019 was a significant step forward but he wasn't close to being a top 10 QB. Hopefully getting Josh a couple of extra weapons helps. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills are a feisty team that is a few explosive skill players away from being in the discussion. They need a big, explosive receiver and another quality back.Throw in another solid tackle and cover corner and with the right OC and a Sean McDermott who plays to win and not to lose and I'll  take my chances. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Red King said:

We need receivers.  As I watch the playoffs that is a big hole.  Watch carefully.  Not every completion is perfect.  The recievers bail out their QBs time to time.  It's just so automatic we don't really notice it.  Pass was a lil low and the receiver managed to snag it?  That's what they're paid for, we say.  But not the Bills.  That same, slightly off pass gets dropped 99% of the time, and we then blame Allen.  The Bills' WRs give Allen precious little margin of error, and when you think on it, that can mean the difference between 1st down and a 4th down punt.  We also have nobody who will fight for the ball.  Look at Duke Williams, and the end-zone incompletion.  Disregard the arguement as to why he dropped it and look carefully.  Duke at least gave Allen enough confidence to throw a contested pass into the end zone.  That...never happened before.  Either the receiver was wide open, or we threw it short and hoped he could run in.  Not saying Duke is the answer, that's an already raging argument.  Just...can we agree that is a deficiency we need addressed?

This team is closer then we thought.  I think if, just as an example, we had AB (without the psych issues) or OBJ on this team all season, we would have taken the East and at least made it to the divisional round.  Yes, Allen needs to improve, but he also needs receivers that are able to bail him out now and then.

Agree 100%.  I don't understand how anyone watching these games doesn't come to the same conclusion.

Also notice how much YAC these receivers gain.  And just as often as not the pass isn't all that great but they manage to dig it off the ground turn on a dime and gain 5 - 10 more yards.

The other thing you notice is how deficient we were at RB.  Other then Singleterry we had nothing.  Look at how the #2 & #3 RB's on these other teams make plays BOTH running & catching the football.

I suspect we've been to hard on Allen AND Daboll.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

And just as often as not the pass isn't all that great but they manage to dig it off the ground turn on a dime and gain 5 - 10 more yards.

I watched Beasely time after time turn on a dime and fall or get tackled...... when he wasn’t missing balls that hit him in the hands or face.

Give us a tight end and receiver who Josh deservedly trusts and I agree we win the East.

• Thank you (+1) 2

If we pick up DK instead of Ford, a back like Ingram to pair with singletary (or rookie in general) and pull the trigger on any of the pass rusher trades and we would have been very close without using any hindsight... just assuming similar health 

if we threw in a WR trade too well... shoot. Probably a home playoff game.

Edited by NoSaint

On 1/12/2020 at 4:00 PM, Hebert19 said:

AFC is terrible. Bills could beat any of these teams.   Any give Sunday in AFC this year. Hope it's just the start for us and we didnt miss an opportunity 

Not buying it. Bills are flawed from a lot of directions. Weak schedule + weak AFC = Bills one and out choke

Very similar to the  season when they choked to jax.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

You have to win a division and two playoff games to get the super bowl or win three playoff games to get to the super bowl.  12 teams have that chance at the end of the season.  8 teams have chance after the first week of the playoffs.   We were part of the twelve, but not part of the eight.  So we were not that close. 

We have advanced to the  Marvin Lewis / Jason Garrett tier.   We need to advance to the Marty Schottenheimer tier before we can really say "we were so close"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Even though Jimmy Grapes only threw 10 passes or whatever today.. the Patriots actually had another Super Bowl QB on their roster and traded him away.  That’s a bonus for Bills fans

This does bring a small smile.

The Bills are very close. Maybe four very obtainable players this offseason. I trust Beane and McDermott to find those players and fit them into the team. 

On 1/12/2020 at 1:00 PM, Hebert19 said:

AFC is terrible. Bills could beat any of these teams.   Any give Sunday in AFC this year. Hope it's just the start for us and we didnt miss an opportunity 

We could have beat everyone except for KC. If Allen makes the jump I expect him to make this offseason I think we have a shot of taking down KC next year though.

I see exceptional offensive design in these Super Bowl teams, to go along with their talent. I’m not sure the Bills have an OC that can scheme at that level. I guess we’re going to find out. I can see why McD tried to land Jucszyk in FA. Too bad we had to settle for DiMarco. He’s a poor imitation.