Watching the playoffs and this team was closer to a superbowl than we think

Hebert19

17 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

AFC is terrible. Bills could beat any of these teams.   Any give Sunday in AFC this year. Hope it's just the start for us and we didnt miss an opportunity 

AFC is still solid.  Chiefs are out of control.

Bills couldn't beat any of the playoff teams.  After the Chiefs, AFC is wide open.

17 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

My post after the loss stands. This team is in  incredible shape.

I'm really curious if even the most cynical, skeptical fans among us dispute this.  Unless you still don't believe Josh Allen is a franchise guy, I don't know how you could not be excited moving forward.  We finally appear to be on the cusp of becoming a year-in, year-out contender.

3 minutes ago, eball said:

I'm really curious if even the most cynical, skeptical fans among us dispute this.  Unless you still don't believe Josh Allen is a franchise guy, I don't know how you could not be excited moving forward.  We finally appear to be on the cusp of becoming a year-in, year-out contender.

It certainly seems that way but things change quick in the nfl.  On paper, we are going to have a much harder schedule next year.  Guys will start getting paid and the cap will shrink.  They should treat this season as the beginning of their SB window because that window can close fast. Look at the Bears. 

17 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Should’ve pushed harder at the trade deadline...

Agree with this completely but I just think prices were too high for what the return was.

Only one player I would of broke the bank for and it of course would of required Tampa to at least listen ?

17 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

AFC is terrible. Bills could beat any of these teams.   Any give Sunday in AFC this year. Hope it's just the start for us and we didnt miss an opportunity 

I'm not sure we could beat KC, that offense is just deadly that said I do agree with a few improvements the Bills should be back in the top 3-6 teams in the AFC again next season. 

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It certainly seems that way but things change quick in the nfl.  On paper, we are going to have a much harder schedule next year.  Guys will start getting paid and the cap will shrink.  They should treat this season as the beginning of their SB window because that window can close fast. Look at the Bears. 

Sure, "things change quick" but certain franchises never become irrelevant and if you've listened at all to Beane and McDermott they've said all along they are all about sustained success.  The Bears are not a good comparison with the Bills for many reasons, most of which have already been laid out in that thread.

48 minutes ago, eball said:

The team is in a really good place. Good talent base. Good cap situation. Good leadership.

Don’t believe? Go back 2-3 years and look at the needs and the resources available.  We can actually sign our own. They decided to quickly flush the players they didn’t want and that had to be paid for. Now Beane is truly free to build what they envision.

Everything adjusts when Allen gets paid, but Beane and Littman appear to be strong in the planning department.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

The team is in a really good place. Good talent base. Good cap situation. Good leadership.

Don’t believe? Go back 2-3 years and look at the needs and the resources available.  We can actually sign our own. They decided to quickly flush the players they didn’t want and that had to be paid for. Now Beane is truly free to build what they envision.

Everything adjusts when Allen gets paid, but Beane and Littman appear to be strong in the planning department.

Great take!

46 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

My only concern is top defenses are hard to keep together for multiple seasons. I can see in a few seasons the defense taking a few steps back. 

Yes the Bills are in good position to be a playoff team but I don't think they are close at all. Til Allen and the offense can prove they can score more then 19 points week in and week out I doubt the Bills will go far when they make the playoffs. I hope K.C. wins it all cause I like seeing high powered offenses. I don't know why so many Bills fans want to go back to the Rockpile days with lots of running the ball and great defense. 

This team ..especially Josh Allen.. is a lot closer than many fans and pundits want to admit.  For all the misery and irratic play that people want to heap on Allen for the wild card game, I think the glass was actually more than half full.  Yeah, he had some boneheaded plays and they ended up losing the game.  

But...  He hit Brown on the sidelines with a great pass that should have given us a first and goal.  Brown lost focus and didn't get his feet down.  He hit Duke on a beauitful pass that should have been a touchdown.  Duke was activated specifically becuase he would be that big, sure handed WR that could make contested catches... He didn't.  

In overtime, he avoided pressure and heaved a ball downfield to DeMarco for what would have been a huge play.  Again, an awesome throw, that Demarco completely miss times his jump and doesn't even get his hands on the ball.  How many of those passes does Mahommes complete every week because his WR makes the catch?  But our staff has the fullback running that route??  

He executed a really nice power sweep, the same play that resulted in a huge gain to start the game. Only to have the TE completely whiff on the block and give the LB a clean shot at his head.  

Despite those examples, and there are others, he still drove the team with a minute left to tie the game and send it to overtime.  He still had us in position to win in overtime if not for a bad penalty call.  

This team is young.  We need some play makers, especially at WR.   We need a few other players.  I'd really like to see the defense be more aggressive. I'd like to see the coaching staff pull their heads out of their asses.  But there is no doubt this team is close to being a perrenial playoff contender. Next season nothing is a given.  Everyone, including and especially Allen, needs to improve.  But, based on the last 2 years, I see no reason to doubt that they will.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Unlike 2017 I can say the Bills were a solid playoff team.  That year we had the lucky Bengals play to get in at 9-7.  That Jaguars game might have been the most unmemorable playoff game to any non Bills fan for the past 5 years.

That being said theres still a ways to go though before saying the Bills are presently champion contenders.  What’s encouraging though is Mc Dermott has built a solid foundation for culture these last few years.  

A lot of it’s up to Allen to see if he can elevate his game 

I kindof got the opposite impression. When I watched Houston, KC, Green Bay, even Seattle rack up the points I'm thinking unless our D totally shuts them down we'd get blowed out cuz we can't score points. Until that changes, we can only imagine competing with the likes of KC,  Houston, Seattle, or Tennessee.

Look at the skill position players the teams like KC and Houston and have.  Brown would be at best 3rd or 4th on either of these teams and our best TE whoever that is Kroft or Knox would be 3rd or 4th if even on the team.

This has to change this off season. When I see the kind of offensive player acquisitions we have gotten over the last 3 off seasons and hear Beane and McDermott saying they don't want to bring in high prices FAs and build through the draft makes me wonder if we will do what we need to do get this to a championship caliber offense.

Teams with talent like KC and Houston is who we are competing against if we want to take that next step..

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

AFC is still solid.  Chiefs are out of control.

Bills couldn't beat any of the playoff teams.  After the Chiefs, AFC is wide open.

But the issue is...the chiefs overpaid Watkins.  Paid Kelce and now have to pay mahomes 40M sooner than later.  They have this year and maybe 1 more as they aren't built the same way we are. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill963 said:

What?

Teams real starting QBs.  Buffalo was 2-6 against them and 8-0 against backups.  I broke this down in another thread but here this  is how I see it.  You may agree or disagree.

Buffalo vs. Starting/Franchise QBs

Darnold - Win

Brady - Loss. Loss

Wentz - Loss

Mayfield - Loss

Prescott - Win

L. Jackson - Loss

D. Watson - Loss

2-6 Record

Buffalo v Back-Up/Benched QBs

E. Manning - Win

A. Dalton - Win