Browsers

Foxx

29 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

That’s terrible.  We have enough problems with Excel routing to different trays, and occasionally the default printer changing to a random network printer. 

What was the fix?  Or was it patched?

Yes a Mac  and ditch everything Microsquat.?

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/12/2020 at 2:56 PM, Foxx said:

what browser(s) do you utilize? do you utilize more than one for different things? what about extensions? ad-blockers? likes/dislikes?

it seems that almost every browser i use has an issue of some sort or another. such as this item just out from DHS:

for those who do not use FF regularly (as it updates automatically)

DHS Issues Rare Warning to Firefox Users: Update Your Browser Immediately

Note: Problem was with new release - people who have not updated to that release had no issue.

This is a problem with all of browser providers.  They add features and security patches at same time but some of the features are things used just by advertisers.  I keep all of my browsers (except one on Windows 10 laptop since it forces it) behind in browser releases and it is amazing how much crap is pushed with content and changes they make for "security" which makes them less secure.

Browsers I use:

• Firefox - only browser which works for some Flash Content
  • Chrome - several different versions
    • I use it at work too for majority of work despite IE being official browser
  • IE - forced by some vendors but when banks force it I tell them change or I take out money
    • I use it at work for things which have to be down in IE since M$ Server will not support any other.
  • Seamonkey - very easy to use browser especially when you want to capture/edit a webpage.
  • Several clones which I use when I want to go to a site but not want to mix data.
  • Avast Secure Browser - provided by my anti-virus company

I have not used IE Edge despite being provided.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Note: Problem was with new release - people who have not updated to that release had no issue.

This is a problem with all of browser providers.  They add features and security patches at same time but some of the features are things used just by advertisers.  I keep all of my browsers (except one on Windows 10 laptop since it forces it) behind in browser releases and it is amazing how much crap is pushed with content and changes they make for "security" which makes them less secure.

Browsers I use:

• Firefox - only browser which works for some Flash Content
  • Chrome - several different versions
    • I use it at work too for majority of work despite IE being official browser
  • IE - forced by some vendors but when banks force it I tell them change or I take out money
    • I use it at work for things which have to be down in IE since M$ Server will not support any other.
  • Seamonkey - very easy to use browser especially when you want to capture/edit a webpage.
  • Several clones which I use when I want to go to a site but not want to mix data.
  • Avast Secure Browser - provided by my anti-virus company

I have not used IE Edge despite being provided.

yeah, i dunno about Avast. i used them at one point a number of years ago for their anti-virus in an effort to trim expenses here. let's just say that it was a short lived experience. if it is working for you, great. never again here though.

23 hours ago, davefan66 said:

What about the printer issues?  That’s going to cause more issues for our users...and headaches for me.

...Edge does not allow full access to your printer options.....I have 5 print stations in the building all with Toshiba multi-functions.....if I use Firefox, ALL options are available (duplex, collate, duplex and staple, etc).....not with Edge.......Firefox and Chrome give me my normal slate of print options.................

• Like (+1) 1

I used to use Firefox as my main browser.  But, then about 10 months or maybe more ago - a bunch of things stopped working that I'm sure are related.  Like on this board, I can't reply to anything.  On espn.com - that top banner with all the current scores doesn't show up.  Etc.

Does anybody have a clue what the problem could be?  

1 hour ago, bbb said:

I used to use Firefox as my main browser.  But, then about 10 months or maybe more ago - a bunch of things stopped working that I'm sure are related.  Like on this board, I can't reply to anything.  On espn.com - that top banner with all the current scores doesn't show up.  Etc.

Does anybody have a clue what the problem could be?  

Do you have any plugins installed?

I would just uninstall Firefox and reinstall the current version (72 IIRC)

1 minute ago, /dev/null said:

Do you have any plugins installed?

I would just uninstall Firefox and reinstall the current version (72 IIRC)

I don't think I have any plugins installed...........The browser updates itself frequently..........Will it help to uninstall and reinstall even if it says:

Firefox Release

January 8, 2020

29 minutes ago, bbb said:

I don't think I have any plugins installed...........The browser updates itself frequently..........Will it help to uninstall and reinstall even if it says:

Firefox Release

January 8, 2020

Before you uinstall/reinstall, try refreshing your Firefox profile

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Before you uinstall/reinstall, try refreshing your Firefox profile

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings

Holy crap - that worked.  This will be my first post on here or any message board in at least 10 months from my preferred browser!

Thanks so much!................What do you think it got rid of in the refresh that was messing things up so much.  I can now see the espn banner with the scores, pictures that wouldn't pop up, functions on this page, etc. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1