Browsers

Foxx

what browser(s) do you utilize? do you utilize more than one for different things? what about extensions? ad-blockers? likes/dislikes?

it seems that almost every browser i use has an issue of some sort or another. such as this item just out from DHS:

for those who do not use FF regularly (as it updates automatically)

DHS Issues Rare Warning to Firefox Users: Update Your Browser Immediately

Edited by Foxx

Firefox, Brave, and TOR Browser.  Been using Firefox since the early 2000s and I like Brave's focus on ad blocking and privacy.  TOR is great for privacy but not for everyday surfing

No browser is perfect and like any piece of software needs to be kept up to date

• Thank you (+1) 1

Chrome.  Seems to be the most optimized for speed and safety and stability for what I do.  It also seems to be the recommended browser for many sites.  It is the best working browser for my company’s intranet.  

Firefox would be my second choice.

Use Nord VPN.  Haven’t had an issue to speak of.  Malwarebytes works well.

Have not found antivirus software I truly like.  Currently using Bitdefender.  Highly rated.  Works well, not a resource hog like Norton.  Haven’t had any issues.

• Like (+1) 1

Firefox is my go-to for most things, but Chrome seems to work better for Google-specific stuff (calendar, Gmail, docs, etc.) Go figure.

The only use for Internet Explorer or Edge is to go to the Mozilla page and download Firefox when setting up a new computer. ?

• Like (+1) 1

i used to be an ardent FireFox user for almost all my internet browsing. however when they went to updating it on an almost daily basis (slight exaggeration), i abandoned it. i then went to Pale Moon which worked well, until it didn't. Brave came next and I loved it as it was almost flawless, but then something happened and it stopped performing quite a few functions. out of necessity, i had to make the move to Chrome because it afforded me the most flawless experience available. however, with the move to Chrome, i had to sacrifice a lot of the features i had become accustomed to with the other FF based browsers. i still use Tor for certain activities.

I am hearing rather good news out and about regarding Brave again, so i may just have to take the time to re-experience it. would be nice to go back to Ghostery, Ad-Block and the many other extensions (if they still work that is) that made the browsing experience more enjoyable.

Safari. (iMac) Automatically updates. DuckDuckGo for search  engine/No need for any antivirus.Only virus I ever got was back in maybe 1987. Back when we had the acoustic modems. Just changed one file type to another. just had to change the extension back to the original one.

On 1/13/2020 at 5:05 AM, davefan66 said:

Chrome.  Seems to be the most optimized for speed and safety and stability for what I do.  It also seems to be the recommended browser for many sites.  It is the best working browser for my company’s intranet.  

Firefox would be my second choice.

Use Nord VPN.  Haven’t had an issue to speak of.  Malwarebytes works well.

Have not found antivirus software I truly like.  Currently using Bitdefender.  Highly rated.  Works well, not a resource hog like Norton.  Haven’t had any issues.

...using Firefox....HATE Edge with Windows 10.......here's the free spyware I've been using for years........works great......I'll also run Malwarebytes as secondary.....

https://www.superantispyware.com/

58 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...using Firefox....HATE Edge with Windows 10.......here's the free spyware I've been using for years........works great......I'll also run Malwarebytes as secondary.....

https://www.superantispyware.com/

Just about to upgrade to Win 10.  Will definitely use another browser over Edge from the feedback I’ve gotten.

17 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Just about to upgrade to Win 10.  Will definitely use another browser over Edge from the feedback I’ve gotten.

...Edge is a royal PIA......it grabs every PDF file and precludes Adobe from being your primary(have to change settings in Adobe).....it also grabs print parameters and overrides any of my network print parameters....I have 5 zone network printers based on office department location.....it stops my ability to set my print parameters to a specific location........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

8 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...Edge is a royal PIA......it grabs every PDF file and precludes Adobe from being your primary(have to change settings in Adobe).....it also grabs print parameters and overrides any of my network print parameters....I have 5 zone network printers based on office department location.....it stops my ability to set my print parameters to a specific location........

That’s terrible.  We have enough problems with Excel routing to different trays, and occasionally the default printer changing to a random network printer. 

What was the fix?  Or was it patched?

5 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

That’s terrible.  We have enough problems with Excel routing to different trays, and occasionally the default printer changing to a random network printer. 

What was the fix?  Or was it patched?

...click on any PDF file...should give you an option open app....click on always ADOBE.....should override Edge..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...click on any PDF file...should give you an option open app....click on always ADOBE.....should override Edge..........

What about the printer issues?  That’s going to cause more issues for our users...and headaches for me.

Edge sucks, but Microsoft is about release a totally rebuilt Edge in the near future.  Instead of using their craptastic in house design, they built the upcoming version on Chromium (Open Source browser upon which Google Chrome and Brave are based).  I'll give it a shot, and the new version still sucks meh, back to Brave and Firefox