We need a strong power RB next year...Henry/Lynch type.

pgrace245

No one likes Jonathan Taylor? He’s projected to be a late 1st to late 2nd. Seems about the same projection that PSU Miles Sanders had last year, who some Bills fans on TBD wanted. Would love to get a top WR is the 1st and then Jonathan Taylor in the 2nd. 

• Like (+1) 2

We definitely need another RB.  But I would prefer a dual threat guy, instead of a one-dimensional short yardage bruiser.

Whenever Frank Gore was on the field, it told the defense that we were probably going to run between the tackles.  He wasn't really a threat to get around the edge.  And he wasn't really a threat in the passing game.  Combine that with Josh Allen's struggles with downfield passes, and teams had no problem loading the box against us.

I'm a big believer in going BPA in the draft.  But from what I've seen, the Bills should have a very good WR prospect fall into their lap in the 1st Round.  And a pretty good RB prospect could likely slip to us in the 2nd Round.

5 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Yes Derrick Henry is scheduled to be a free agent.  We'll have to wait and see if he makes it that far.  Then there is the issue of his asking price.  He's a bit unique as far as NFL running backs are concerned.  There is nobody else who is both that big and that fast.  That means he can be used as an outside runner where his size is more of a miss match.  When defenses stack the box, if he can break through, few defenders can run him down.  The closest runner to him in the draft is Najee Harris.  He's not as heavy as Henry, but he's about the same speed.  There are a couple other big backs in the draft, but they don't have as much speed to get outside.  Id' be happy if Buffalo drafted Harris, but I'd also like to see them pick up a speed guy.

Thanks to this weekend's games, the running game has once again become popular.  And it's probably going to make Derrick Henry a very rich man.

But don't be fooled.  It's still not a wise strategy to pay big bucks to a Free Agent running back.

More than any other position, RBs tend to wear down early in their careers.  Most guys peak before they hit 25.  Very few are still effective by the time they reach 30 years old.  Guys with heavy workloads also tend to drop-off the next season.

The smartest GMs tend to regularly target RBs in the 2nd-3rd Round (which is where Henry was originally drafted), let their guys walk after that rookie contract expires, and then rinse-repeat.

11 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Henry is available...

Do you think he is getting paid megabucks this offseason?

Will Beane be the high bidder?

If the Titans let Henry walk, they should relinquish the Franchise... to anyone... next bum on the street.

That guy is a rare physical freak similar to Erick Dickerson and Adrian Peterson. Shame he's been hidden on such a mediocre team.

Yes, if we can get a guy like that, we should.

Obviously.

3 hours ago, mjt328 said:

We definitely need another RB.  But I would prefer a dual threat guy, instead of a one-dimensional short yardage bruiser.

Whenever Frank Gore was on the field, it told the defense that we were probably going to run between the tackles.  He wasn't really a threat to get around the edge.  And he wasn't really a threat in the passing game.  Combine that with Josh Allen's struggles with downfield passes, and teams had no problem loading the box against us.

I'm a big believer in going BPA in the draft.  But from what I've seen, the Bills should have a very good WR prospect fall into their lap in the 1st Round.  And a pretty good RB prospect could likely slip to us in the 2nd Round.

agree 100%.  The key is to get a good all-around guy. I would try to target someone around 3th-5th rounds. 

15 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

If the Titans let Henry walk, they should relinquish the Franchise... to anyone... next bum on the street.

That guy is a rare physical freak similar to Erick Dickerson and Adrian Peterson. Shame he's been hidden on such a mediocre team.

Yes, if we can get a guy like that, we should.

Obviously.

I think for once we may agree..

Are there other guys like him?

They don’t grow on trees ( or in the draft..)..so not sure where we are “finding” one next year as the OP is hoping..

That “mediocre” team is getting carried to the Superbowl by this guy..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 1/12/2020 at 12:27 PM, pgrace245 said:

I miss the days of old when Lynch was in a Bills uniform. Seeing Derrick Henry tear up the Baltimore defense last night was another reminder that we need a power RB in Buffalo. Singletary has speed and jukes but lacks the down hill power needed to complete the run game. Having a dominant run game opens up the offense for big pass plays and play action. Henry controlled the game last night even with Baltimore knowing the runs were coming. I hope we find a way to add that dynamic to our offense last year and bring back a bully o-line. I can appreciate the speed and agile style of Singletary but we need some beast mode in buffalo. So which Henry/Lynch/Blount type RB is available draft/FA?

Yes we do.  I think and hope it will happen!

I think they can find a power RB in round 3-5 or in the lower to mid-level free agency range. This is a need for this team to replace Gore (who outside of a handful of games early wasn't the most effective back) with a similar style of player. But I don't think the team needs to go crazy and spend a pick in round 1 or 2 or go after Henry or another big level player via trade or free agency. I think they can fill the need effectively without major resources. 

On 1/12/2020 at 7:42 PM, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

No offense to FredEx, but we need players who bring more to the table than warm fuzzy feelings for the team .... I don’t recall Freddie winning the bills anything 

RBs don't win Superbowls, they are probably the 3rd most important part of an offense. Freddie was the best thing this team had for a long time. He was my favorite Bill hands-down

On 1/13/2020 at 3:00 AM, njbuff said:

The Bills don’t need a power back, just an effective RB2.

Frank Gore running in cement really hurt the O when Singletary wasn’t on the field.

The Bills can do just about anything they want to cure the RB2 woes.

Singletary has not shown (some would some simply not given the opportunity) that he can carry a work load of 20+ carries regularly. If you can't do that, you are not an RB1

3 minutes ago, BigBillsFan said:

RBs don't win Superbowls, they are probably the 3rd most important part of an offense. Freddie was the best thing this team had for a long time. He was my favorite Bill hands-down

Generally you are right. Jerome the Bus Bettis, and John Riggins (and the hogs) were a couple of exceptions proving the rule.  Henry is playing at a unusual high level currently.  No one else is going to play at the level, and even Henry is not likely to sustain it. Its a rare thing. 

On 1/12/2020 at 10:07 PM, thunderingsquid said:

I would love Ekeler if we go RB in free agency

I'd love Ekeler on the Bills. He is a gamer and an undrafted guy that has earned everything. I think that fits our team. I would also draft a RB mid to late.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/12/2020 at 11:34 AM, Aussie Joe said:

Henry is available...

Do you think he is getting paid megabucks this offseason?

Will Beane be the high bidder?

I would rather spend the money on a game breaking TE like Hooper 

McBeane are doing things the right way, brown and Beasley where good fits for the offense with character. When we bring in the rookie wideouts this year they'll get the proper support. And be better for it. Oline wasn't ALL that bad, add a tackle in free agency and guard in the draft. Finding an olb in first or second round is a priority, as well as a corner in 4 th rd. Running back by committee is a proven way, as long as you have diversity. The bills are fine and continue to move in the right direction. A contender for years. GO bills!!!