Browns hire Kevin Stefanski as HC; Andrew Berry as GM

YoloinOhio

I think this is a weird hire. I know little of the man but base this solely on the Vikings offense this past year. They actually match up pretty well with the Browns if you compare position groups. 

I wasn’t all that blown away by the Vikings, as if they couldn’t run the ball, it wasn’t a great day for them. 

the big question mark will be baker. Has he played under center in a system like this before? I just don’t see it 

7 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I'm fine with Daboll. He gets guys open and he can get better. If I had his ear, I would say less game to game changes, continue the hurry up offense, keep using Josh as a runner but diminish it over time, but most importantly make the base offense 2 WR, 2TE, single back. Get a true #1 WR to pair with Brown and let Knox and Kroft beat linebackers in coverage. Then just sub Beasley for Kroft about 40% of the time for your second most used package. 

To the bolded, I've thought this is maybe why they start so slowly all season. Blame it on Josh being amped up, but I'll blame it one such sweeping offensive changes week to week. I like that Daboll tries to adjust based on the opponent but with offenses (especially in passing), which often succeed based on timing and consistency of location where receivers are in patterns, the wholesale change week to week is tough. 

Edited by John Adams

2 hours ago, John Adams said:

To the bolded, I've thought this is maybe why they start so slowly all season. Blame it on Josh being amped up, but I'll blame it one such sweeping offensive changes week to week. I like that Daboll tries to adjust based on the opponent but with offenses (especially in passing), which often succeed based on timing and consistency of location where receivers are in patterns, the wholesale change week to week is tough. 

It’s not an accident that our best stretch of offensive games featured continuity with 11 sets and mostly the same 3 WR (Brown, Beasley, and McKensie)

I think it’s very helpful to Josh to limit the guys he has to build timing with that week.

The problem is, when we got into a game where we were faced with a bewildering array of defensive coverage, we simply couldn’t handle it with that personnel, and it didn’t seem as though we had “Plan B” in the books.  Knox and Singletary may develop as blockers, but they’re not there yet.

I don’t understand the Kroft love.  He’s a better blocker than Knox right now, but he whiffed big time on Mercilus leading to the fumble.

We seem very very vulnerable to that kind of shifting, confusing defensive scheme right now.  That’s why we struggled against Houston - at times we had half our OL blocking air while they were pressuring on the edges.

15 hours ago, Steptide said:

You could be right, but I think there's something to be said about continuity 

Welp...we're going to find out.  Year 3 coming up.

15 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

DePodesta gets his guy.

I wonder what other plans DePodesta has?  Could be some trades coming in the near future as well.

I'm glad Daboll will be returning for the sake of continuity and Josh's continued development.  I have no doubt Beane is going to find playmakers for this offense and Josh will have more to work with next season.  This is better than starting over with a new coordinator.

10 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So who will coach the Browns in 2021?

Rex Ryan.  He will promise to build a bully and will guarantee playoffs.  His pitch will be so convincing they won't let him leave the building without a contract.  

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I just saw haslam has hired 7 head coaches since he bought the team - in 2012!

Even though folks like to equate Cleveland and Buffalo fans as "long suffering who deserve a winner" I just can't root for the Browns to succeed so long as that crook owns the team.  When I read that he requires game-planning meetings with the HC I almost lost it.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, eball said:

Even though folks like to equate Cleveland and Buffalo fans as "long suffering who deserve a winner" I just can't root for the Browns to succeed so long as that crook owns the team.  When I read that he requires game-planning meetings with the HC I almost lost it.

Lol I didn't see that but it's not surprising

Browns are in for more misery this season.

Baker has a terrible attitude and needs a proven coach that maybe he would listen to.

39 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I wonder who they'll hire next year?

I think Stefanski might get get 2 years and if things aren’t going well I could see Haslam completely cleaning house again and firing Stefanski + DePodesta too (since this was officially his hire this time) and going back to a more traditional “old school” football structure. 

He went the heavy analytics route in 2014/15 hiring Depodesta and Sashi Brown, gave that 2 years (but didn’t let Depodesta hire the coach he wanted), then went the complete opposite direction w/the old school Dorsey and the front office he brought in. Now another 2 years has passed and Haslam is back to the analytics centered approach with Depodesta/Stefanski. 

Until Haslam makes up his mind as to what he wants and actually sticks to it, the Browns will never have any sustained success (IMO). 

27 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Lol I didn't see that but it's not surprising

Browns are in for more misery this season.

Baker has a terrible attitude and needs a proven coach that maybe he would listen to.

it's on the page near the bottom