Browns hire Kevin Stefanski as HC; Andrew Berry as GM

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, H2o said:

Did you see the list of demands Stefanski agreed to? This is not going to go well. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/13/kevin-stefanski-agreed-to-certain-specific-terms-that-limit-his-authority/#comments

When will Haslam learn? How can you be this clueless? It’s like he enjoys being an embarrassment. 

3 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

Here's the latest from Pro Football Talk...

And here is Dan Patrick's take...

Yeah football is not baseball. Not even close. Athleticism, Character and temperament are major factors in football. You can’t put a number on character and temperament. 

14 hours ago, Limeaid said:

It is such a surprise that teams are not beating down your door to interview you. :rolleyes:

Are you a Daboll backer? He consistently abandoned the run when it was working, kept using Gore even when it became evident he hit a wall and Singletary should have gotten the lion's share, as well as other questionable play calling and personnel decisions. Yes he had great moments and showed he can get creative and make good decisions but overall very inconsistent.

Did you not see these as serious issues or just hoping he changes next year? I see many people clamoring for continuity but continuity just for continuity's sake can be counterproductive. If he doesn't clean up his mistakes next year and is replaced, how does the extra year with him help Josh? You simply have ZERO chance to win a Superbowl with how Daboll ran the offense and we as Bills fans need to be aiming our sights towards that and no longer be simply satisfied with making the playoffs and being one and done or even two and done.

2 hours ago, StHustle said:

Are you a Daboll backer? He consistently abandoned the run when it was working, kept using Gore even when it became evident he hit a wall and Singletary should have gotten the lion's share, as well as other questionable play calling and personnel decisions. Yes he had great moments and showed he can get creative and make good decisions but overall very inconsistent.

Did you not see these as serious issues or just hoping he changes next year? I see many people clamoring for continuity but continuity just for continuity's sake can be counterproductive. If he doesn't clean up his mistakes next year and is replaced, how does the extra year with him help Josh? You simply have ZERO chance to win a Superbowl with how Daboll ran the offense and we as Bills fans need to be aiming our sights towards that and no longer be simply satisfied with making the playoffs and being one and done or even two and done.

I have said multiple times that since the Pegulas are very lax with their money he should be signing senior Offense and Defense consultants to be his sounding boards to tell him when something does not look right.  His defense is too focused on how he would design it and I do not think he can judge offenses well.  I am sure there are coaches who still watch game and are retired unable to work the sometimes 80+ hour work weeks but would be good to have reviewing game plans and looking at opposition film.

But I consider any fan who thinks he is more qualified than almost any coach, Ronnie Jones not included, is a joke and slightly idiotic.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

I have said multiple times that since the Pegulas are very lax with their money he should be signing senior Offense and Defense consultants to be his sounding boards to tell him when something does not look right.  His defense is too focused on how he would design it and I do not think he can judge offenses well.  I am sure there are coaches who still watch game and are retired unable to work the sometimes 80+ hour work weeks but would be good to have reviewing game plans and looking at opposition film.

But I consider any fan who thinks he is more qualified than almost any coach, Ronnie Jones not included, is a joke and slightly idiotic.

Can we also hire a guy to handle clock management during games. 

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I would never try to argue I am more qualified, however if I was in charge of play calling from my couch I would have kept running the ball when our running back is averaging five yards a carry and QB is playing inconsistent. Daboll sometimes inexplicably starts calling the plays as if we are down multiple possessions when that isn't the case.

I would definitely argue that there are plenty of fans who know this game well enough to have made better run / pass decisions than Daboll has in a number of games. Being qualified for a job has nothing to do with recognizing the obvious like stick with what's working in a close game.

23 hours ago, H2o said:

Did you see the list of demands Stefanski agreed to? This is not going to go well. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/13/kevin-stefanski-agreed-to-certain-specific-terms-that-limit-his-authority/#comments

I’ve never heard of a head coach not discussing a game with the owner afterward. 

That said, the rest of it, especially the inclusion of an analytics guru on the headset during games, will not work. There’s enough chatter going on between plays as it is. That won’t work well, imo. And the idea of an analyst participating in game planning during the week is absurd. 

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t blame him with  the way this is dragging on. I wonder if he decided during his 2nd interview that the clown suit wouldn’t fit 

I don’t blame him at all. 

He is supposed to be one of the most respected AGM’s in the NFL. With Haslam’s track record of soliciting advise from everyone he talks to and abruptly changing his mind on a whim + firing everyone, why would a top candidate go there until Haslam proves he’s willing to stick with a plan for more than 1-2 years?

I pretty much expect the Browns to be perpetually starting over again every 2 years until they prove otherwise. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I don’t blame him at all. 

He is supposed to be one of the most respected AGM’s in the NFL. With Haslam’s track record of soliciting advise from everyone he talks to and abruptly changing his mind on a whim + firing everyone, why would a top candidate go there until Haslam proves he’s willing to stick with a plan for more than 1-2 years?

I pretty much expect the Browns to be perpetually starting over again every 2 years until they prove otherwise. 

Yep, I think he took the interview(S) out of respect for Stefanski but knows he will have better options 

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe he didn't like the idea of submitting his off-season plans to the analytics committee for revision and approval

Depodesta even offered to come into work once a month to sign off!

What a disaster the Browns are.... 

I wouldn't be surprised if Baker was chair of the group that approves the coaches game plans

LOL

• Haha (+1) 1

23 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t blame him with  the way this is dragging on. I wonder if he decided during his 2nd interview that the clown suit wouldn’t fit 

I'm starting to wonder if, instead of Stefanski being the genius choice for the job, he's the only one that agreed to all the directives and restrictions on how he'd operate.

• Like (+1) 3

On 1/12/2020 at 7:41 PM, YoloinOhio said:

They went from a first time HC with very little OC or play calling experience ... to a first time HC with very little OC or play calling experience. But at least this one looks a little more put together than Freddie. 

Instead of a ‘Pittsburgh Started It’ t-shirt, Stefanski would have a ‘Talk to the Team Attorneys’ t-shirt.  ? 

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

With Haslam’s track record of soliciting advise from everyone he talks to and abruptly changing his mind on a whim + firing everyone, why would a top candidate go there...

I still think it’s the monthly $25 gas card, and free coffees anytime at any Flying J.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm starting to wonder if, instead of Stefanski being the genius choice for the job, he's the only one that agreed to all the directives and restrictions on how he'd operate.

Only starting to think....? I am way ahead of you there then. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Pegula ownership>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Haslam ownership 

Donald Sterling may have been the only owner worse than Haslam, and Sterling was (deservedly) forced to go away. I feel bad for Browns fans, everyone deserves better than this. Is it 7 HC’s since 2012? That’s just incredible. 

• Like (+1) 1