Jump to content
YoloinOhio

Browns hire Kevin Stefanski as HC; Andrew Berry as GM

Recommended Posts

Did you see the list of demands Stefanski agreed to? This is not going to go well. 

 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/13/kevin-stefanski-agreed-to-certain-specific-terms-that-limit-his-authority/#comments

 

Quote

 

As explained by Steve Doerschuk of the Canton Repository, new Browns coach Kevin Stefanski showed during his interview a willingness to yield to certain expectations of part-time chief strategy office Paul DePodesta, including having someone from the analytics group wearing a headset and having access to the coaching staff on game days. Stefanski also agreed to owner Jimmy Haslam’s desire to engage in hours-long meetings with his head coach the day after games.

 

Dustin Fox of 92.3 The Fan in Cleveland added that the front office expects the head coach to “turn in game plans to the owner and analytics department by Friday, and to attend an end-of-week analytics meeting to discuss their plan.”

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, H2o said:

Did you see the list of demands Stefanski agreed to? This is not going to go well. 

 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/13/kevin-stefanski-agreed-to-certain-specific-terms-that-limit-his-authority/#comments

 

 

 

 

...hours long meetings with Flying Jimmy?........must think he's Jurrah or Boy Danny Snyder.......sign a five year deal, get canned in two and have 3 YEARS PAID VACATION.....he's already paying out >$50 mil to those he has "assisted with their departure".......gonna have to steal some more rebate checks...SMH..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, H2o said:

Did you see the list of demands Stefanski agreed to? This is not going to go well. 

 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/13/kevin-stefanski-agreed-to-certain-specific-terms-that-limit-his-authority/#comments

 

 

 

So, How many other teams in the NFL require this of their HC? Are there any? This seems like a plan almost guaranteed to end in disaster. Poor Brown's fans... They deserve better!

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2020 at 12:08 PM, StHustle said:

DAMN! Our only hope for Daboll to be gone. I hope he improves his play calling and personal usage or we will be one and done again next year.

 

Puzzles me how so many fans would have made better game day decisions than him. He must learn Josh Allen isnt ever going to be a top passer. You must have a strong run game and USE IT with JA at the helm. I believe in McD and think he is well aware and will have Daboll on a short leash next season. 

 

It is such a surprise that teams are not beating down your door to interview you. :rolleyes:

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Say more - why?

Just judging by the comments on Twitter from Browns fans 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The unfortunate reality that Haslam/Browns need to realize is that analytics in the NFL is a mixed bag. 
 

This isn’t baseball where you play 162 games with hitters getting 600 plate appearances and pitchers pitching 100-200 innings. There is a legit sample size there that you can work with. 
 

NFL Football? It’s 16 games with a ton of variables. 
 

let’s take a look at when to go for the two point conversion for example. Coaches cite going with what the chart says as if a conversion is a coin flip (league average). The reality is if Luke Falk and the Jets are attempting a two pt conversion against the Pats in New England they are going to convert far less than half of the time. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2020 at 12:57 PM, stuvian said:

So BB prevented McDaniel from interviewing for the Browns job. 2nd year in a row the Pats have prevented him from leaving. If he isn't made HC there will be some fallout. I assume this is to get Brady resigned 

 

Um, McDaniel interviewed last Friday.  He spent like 7 hrs in the facility

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Um, McDaniel interviewed last Friday.  He spent like 7 hrs in the facility

 

Seven hours explaining to them that the P*ts cheating method to win cannot work in Cleveland despite method developed when Billicheat was coaching for the Browns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Cleveland was insisting on the same kind of "reporting requirements" for McDaniel as they apparently insisted on from Stefanski. If so I wouldn't blame him for not taking the job if it was offered under those terms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Um, McDaniel interviewed last Friday.  He spent like 7 hrs in the facility

Yeah I read that. Supposedly the job was his but he wanted the higher ups cleared out and not involved. After seeing the list mentioned on this page for stefanski I can see why McDaniels don’t want that job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

 

Here's the latest from Pro Football Talk...

 

 

And here is Dan Patrick's take...


Yeah football is not baseball. Not even close. Athleticism, Character and temperament are major factors in football. You can’t put a number on character and temperament. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Limeaid said:

 

It is such a surprise that teams are not beating down your door to interview you. :rolleyes:

 

Are you a Daboll backer? He consistently abandoned the run when it was working, kept using Gore even when it became evident he hit a wall and Singletary should have gotten the lion's share, as well as other questionable play calling and personnel decisions. Yes he had great moments and showed he can get creative and make good decisions but overall very inconsistent.

 

Did you not see these as serious issues or just hoping he changes next year? I see many people clamoring for continuity but continuity just for continuity's sake can be counterproductive. If he doesn't clean up his mistakes next year and is replaced, how does the extra year with him help Josh? You simply have ZERO chance to win a Superbowl with how Daboll ran the offense and we as Bills fans need to be aiming our sights towards that and no longer be simply satisfied with making the playoffs and being one and done or even two and done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, StHustle said:

 

Are you a Daboll backer? He consistently abandoned the run when it was working, kept using Gore even when it became evident he hit a wall and Singletary should have gotten the lion's share, as well as other questionable play calling and personnel decisions. Yes he had great moments and showed he can get creative and make good decisions but overall very inconsistent.

 

Did you not see these as serious issues or just hoping he changes next year? I see many people clamoring for continuity but continuity just for continuity's sake can be counterproductive. If he doesn't clean up his mistakes next year and is replaced, how does the extra year with him help Josh? You simply have ZERO chance to win a Superbowl with how Daboll ran the offense and we as Bills fans need to be aiming our sights towards that and no longer be simply satisfied with making the playoffs and being one and done or even two and done.

 

 

I have said multiple times that since the Pegulas are very lax with their money he should be signing senior Offense and Defense consultants to be his sounding boards to tell him when something does not look right.  His defense is too focused on how he would design it and I do not think he can judge offenses well.  I am sure there are coaches who still watch game and are retired unable to work the sometimes 80+ hour work weeks but would be good to have reviewing game plans and looking at opposition film.

 

But I consider any fan who thinks he is more qualified than almost any coach, Ronnie Jones not included, is a joke and slightly idiotic.

  • Skeptical 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

 

 

I have said multiple times that since the Pegulas are very lax with their money he should be signing senior Offense and Defense consultants to be his sounding boards to tell him when something does not look right.  His defense is too focused on how he would design it and I do not think he can judge offenses well.  I am sure there are coaches who still watch game and are retired unable to work the sometimes 80+ hour work weeks but would be good to have reviewing game plans and looking at opposition film.

 

But I consider any fan who thinks he is more qualified than almost any coach, Ronnie Jones not included, is a joke and slightly idiotic.

Can we also hire a guy to handle clock management during games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

But I consider any fan who thinks he is more qualified than almost any coach, Ronnie Jones not included, is a joke and slightly idiotic.

 

I would never try to argue I am more qualified, however if I was in charge of play calling from my couch I would have kept running the ball when our running back is averaging five yards a carry and QB is playing inconsistent. Daboll sometimes inexplicably starts calling the plays as if we are down multiple possessions when that isn't the case.

 

I would definitely argue that there are plenty of fans who know this game well enough to have made better run / pass decisions than Daboll has in a number of games. Being qualified for a job has nothing to do with recognizing the obvious like stick with what's working in a close game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, H2o said:

Did you see the list of demands Stefanski agreed to? This is not going to go well. 

 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/13/kevin-stefanski-agreed-to-certain-specific-terms-that-limit-his-authority/#comments

 

 

I’ve never heard of a head coach not discussing a game with the owner afterward. 
 

That said, the rest of it, especially the inclusion of an analytics guru on the headset during games, will not work. There’s enough chatter going on between plays as it is. That won’t work well, imo. And the idea of an analyst participating in game planning during the week is absurd. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2020 at 12:17 PM, Dopey said:

Welcome back, Daboll. Ok Beane, bring in a couple more playmakers and we're good.

Agree.  Josh is just in kindergarten right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It took a bit of time to officially announced because Haslam and Depodesta were reading over Stefanski's draft press conference speech and making edits

  • Haha (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...