Browns hire Kevin Stefanski as HC; Andrew Berry as GM

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, stuvian said:

Dude, nice article. But the guy actually interviewed with cleveland. Even took his wife with him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, stuvian said:

He didn’t let him “move up” the interview that was already scheduled for Friday even though they lost and he was available earlier in the week. It wouldn’t have mattered. 

Just now, stuvian said:

I can't help but think the delay in doing so cost him a HC job

Doubt it unless he would not have demanded the same organizational changes earlier in the week

two questions...

what happens to Kubiak? does he stay on at Minny? does he go with Stefanski? would he take another OC role (Minny, Cleveland, someone else) or does he think that that would be too much work after his medical episode of a few years back?  i would love to see him come here as a run game coordinator to work hand in hand with Daboll.

who are the Browns looking at for GM?

21 minutes ago, stuvian said:

I can't help but think the delay in doing so cost him a HC job

I doubt it since Cleveland didn't decide until AFTER he interviewed.

The other openings were filled by guys each team wanted badly.  Rivera in Washington done ASAP, Rhule in Carolina-he was their top choice and nothing McDaniels could have done would have changed that, NYG-Judge blew them away, like McDermott did years ago with the Pegulas-if they wanted anything to do with McDaniels after interviewing Judge they clearly would have waited.  I watched Judge's PC in NJ and he was really impressive.  

This was an abnormal year for coaches.  A lot of coaches on the hot seat were retained.  Cleveland was really McDaniels' only hope after Judge interviewed with the NYG.

McDaniels is a very flawed candidate.  Don't think for a minute that every time a team has Josh McDaniels on their list of candidates they look at his stint in Denver and his screwing over Indianapolis and don't see a lot of red flags.  

18 minutes ago, Foxx said:

who are the Browns looking at for GM?

Please let it be Buddy Nix or Doug Whaley.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

McDaniels might never get another shot as HC

As Brady declines or leaves altogether his star will only fade

He screwed up with what he did to Indianapolis

Couldn't happen to a better guy. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

players. They don’t have enough on offense yet. So if I had to put that on a Person.  Beane 

true they don't have enough players, but Daboll didn't do enough with what they had.  Gore up the middle?  Yeldon inactive.  Not enough TE targets (1 against Pitt, who is awful against TE's).  Inconsistent game calling that resembled "pick a play out of a hat."  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

So BB prevented McDaniel from interviewing for the Browns job. 2nd year in a row the Pats have prevented him from leaving. If he isn't made HC there will be some fallout. I assume this is to get Brady resigned 

Or, it’s an exit plan where Brady wrap things up over the next two years, and McDaniels with a wink and a nod gets the Pats HC job.  He gets a pretty good team as they will add to their talent and BB will prep him as he doesn’t want to see the Pats go down.  Brady would be 44 and BB would be 70.

I really don’t know anything about this guy besides reading that he’s thought of very highly in the Vikings organization, but if I were a browns fan I’d be a bit nervous about his experience level.

A few quotes:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/13/mike-zimmer-gary-kubiak-probably-the-best-thing-to-happen-since-i-came-here/

Stefanski got the full-time job this offseason, but the Vikings supplemented him by hiring former Texans and Broncos head coach Gary Kubiak as an assistant head coach and offensive advisor. The team is ninth in points scored and eighth in offensive yards after finishing 19th and 20th in those metrics last season and those results left Zimmer singing Kubiak’s praises on Wednesday

“Gary has been tremendous. It’s probably the best thing that’s ever happened to me since I came here,” Zimmer said at his press conference.

Zimmer (and Cousins, in other interviews) give Kubiak a lot of praise/credit. 

https://www.vikings.com/news/transcript-gary-kubiak-addressed-the-media-on-tuesday

Q: What role do you find yourself in making in-game adjustments and how are you influencing the game from the coaching box?

A: Kevin (Stefanski) would probably have to answer that. What I try to do is I help Kevin with situational football, what’s going on. I’m listening to him call the game. I may make a suggestion, “Hey, Kevin, come back with this. You’re getting played this way, so think about this.” It’s just a great conversation back and forth. I can’t tell you how many times I may say something and Kevin will say, “Say that again.” We’re just constantly conversing on what’s happening and a lot of eyes on what’s going on on the football field. He’s doing a great job pulling the trigger. He’s really an excellent play caller and I think he’s getting better each and every week because his feel for our players and what our team does best continues to grow. 

Stefanski called the plays, but he had Kubiak at his side helping him.

Q: Are you surprised more people don’t go with your zone blocking schemes?

A: I don’t know, there’s a lot of people that do it, but obviously it’s not something you can do all the time. We’ve actually had some success doing some other things this year. Rick (Dennison) and Andrew (Janocko) have done a really good job putting our game plan together each and every week. I think our guys have been receptive to change, and the fact that we have a young center who’s become a really good player I think leading the group, it’s been special. 

and it sounds like Dennison and Janocko put the game plans together. 

As I said, I don’t really know much about Stefanski so I’m not saying it was a bad hire. 

I’m just saying that the Browns job has been notoriously difficult. It doesn’t seem like the best place for rookie head coaches to learn/grow/develop, and I’m not sure how helpful ownership is as far as providing resources and support for their young coaches to grow into the job. I thought that a veteran head coach would have been the preferred choice, but no hire is going to work unless the owners are actually willing to let these guys execute their plan/vision.

I hope the Browns give Stefanski a legit chance. 2 years isn’t enough time. Haslam needs to stick to his plan for once, and not bail if things don’t go perfectly in year 1-2. They hired a young coach so they should expect some growing pains.

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

??? Haslam does what,  now? Hours long coach/owner meetings? Omfg can you see he and Freddie every Monday  ?

Th absolute worst - they are still going to be a dumpster fire. Poor Browns fans

Edit - it is even worse

https://www.cantonrep.com/sports/20200112/steve-doerschuk-josh-mcdaniels-wouldnrsquot-back-down-browns-owner-backed-away

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

Th absolute worst - they are still going to be a dumpster fire. Poor Browns fans

They went from a first time HC with very little OC or play calling experience ... to a first time HC with very little OC or play calling experience. But at least this one looks a little more put together than Freddie. 

• Like (+1) 1