Running and passing for success

Meatloaf63

These playoffs have really brought in to focus the need for a running game that can impose its will on a defense, especially for a younger QB. I think I saw the Bills were 8th in yardage? But the true test is can you run effectively inside your own 20 and your opponents. And in this case I don’t believe we are effective enough to help our passing game to be effective and it is part of why we struggled to score touchdowns. I don’t know if it was a lack of trust in Singletary, but too many of these carries went to Gore with little  or no results. The scoring drive by San Fran after the turnover they drove around 50 yards and scored a TD never passing. Does anybody think we could pull that off? Whether it’s play calling or personnel, we need to improve this part of our game which in turn will improve our passing game. When teams have to respect our running game, they won’t be able to blitz our QB in the way they have been. Now I know some will say Allen has to get better at making them pay for such blitzing and defending, and this is true. Maybe better weapons and another year in the system helps this, but In my opinion, I don’t believe anybody fears, respects our running game and that is affecting our passing and scoring. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Meanwhile we don’t want Henry because he costs too much.  Lol

I’m not sure Henry is the total answer as he had some holes to run through on a consistent basis, I think our  o-line needs to play better to give him that. But damn could you imagine a backfield that possesses Henry and Singletary? That would be awesome...

Edited by Meatloaf63

9 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Yes he will.  Find a big back in the draft to pair with Singletary and that would be fine.

There isn’t another DH in this draft.  

the guys just hammered a Belichick D and the ravens D back to back.  First player ever with 170+ in 2 games in one playoff.  What he’s doing right now cannot be replaced by, “find a big back”.  “Big backs” Don’t run like him

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

the guys just hammered a Belichick D and the ravens D back to back.  First player ever with 170+ in 2 games in one playoff.  What he’s doing right now cannot be replaced by, “find a big back”.  “Big backs” Don’t run like him

How long he can take that kind of pounding is the question.

4 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Who's WE?

Some of us are realists and understand that Tennessee isn't letting him hit the market.

The majority of the posters that chime in regarding Henry.  “You don’t pay big bucks to a FA RB”. If you haven’t read this several times, you haven’t been reading TSW.

hell, I said it too....I just see Henry as a different opportunity.

you could be right.  The Titans may not let him go.  Until they resign him, he’s MY #1 target

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

In another thread oldmanfan suggests Christian Wade may be able to play that role. Interesting. Certainly should give him a thorough look in spring.

Which role?  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’ll believe it when I see it.  5’9 190.  

For sure, I just thought we give him a long look in spring. That said,  I thought Motor was a midget that would get crushed between the tackles. Far from it. Lace'em up and let them play. Wade is small but powerful and fast. 

30 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He’s certainly carrying that offense like Earl Campbell. Additionally, after watching some highlights.... Earl carried the ball like a loaf of bread ?. Perhaps there’s something to that. 

58 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Yes he will.  Find a big back in the draft to pair with Singletary and that would be fine.

34 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

How long he can take that kind of pounding is the question.

You don’t just find Derrick Henry’s. There is this myth that you can just plug and play any running back via draft or low tier free agency and that’s only  true to a certain extent. Size, speed, ability to break tackles, not fumble, and pass protect, now throwing touchdowns ? Henry is a monster, he has been for years they just didn’t use him as the feature back. 

So to answer the second quote he can go 2-4 more years probably with little to no decline cause he doesn’t have the same wear and tear normal backs his age have. Adrian Peterson is still going, no reason Henry can’t produce at a high level in a 5 year contract. Sometimes overpaying is worth it. Got to look at total carries/touches over the course of a young career 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

For sure, I just thought we give him a long look in spring. That said,  I thought Motor was a midget that would get crushed between the tackles. Far from it. Lace'em up and let them play. Wade is small but powerful and fast. 

Yeah, I think wade has a chance to be our 3rd rb and change of pace.  Just don’t see him as the pounder of the group.  Singletary is more of a bruiser than Wade imo

• Like (+1) 1