CBS compares Bills to Bears

stuvian

With a more challenging schedule next year, the article isn't wrong. However, I am not sure that Josh will survive a "step-back" season like Mitch apparently has. I am all in on Josh. I think he is our answer. But he needs to continue to grow and develop. 

We can absolutely have as good as if not a better season than we had last season. But it all rests on Josh and his decision making and ability to handle pressure. He needs to demonstrate consistently he is the reason we are winning. Our offense needs to ROLL!

Just now, Bleedbuffaloblue said:

Also the Browns game. Chubb was fumbling all over the place in the early part of that game! Killed any chances for the Brownies and the Pats capitalized.

Yep, nobody will do a piece like that one CBS did on the Pats because Belichick is a genius. It struck me after watching the Pats  against The Bills in the first game. The Pats this year remind me of another Bears team, the one in 2001 under Dickie J. They suffered the same fate as that team did as well. One and done in playoffs. I got told to get a life and a clue by a few of our resident Pats fans and their sympathizers here. Ha.

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

"Sean Wagner-McGough joined CBS Sports in 2015 after graduating from UC Berkeley. A native of Seattle..."

So, in other words, he watched at most two Bills games this season--at Dallas and Pittsburgh.   It's lazy to trot out synthetic stats like QBR and not mention the ones that actually do matter--4th quarter comebacks, third down conversions, etc.    Even the Beasly clip he uses to show how innaccurate Josh is--where he's being blitzed and can't step into the throw--is bupkis.

Articles like this are like the packing peanuts that come with the expensive vase you bought mom for Chistmas.  Nobody pays attention to them, yet they make a real mess and never seem to get completely thrown out...

Mitch Trubisky has 1 less 4 quarter comeback to Josh Allen. They have near identical 3rd down conversion rates when passing. Mitch has the advantage by 0.2%.

So I guess by your “important stats” they are still pretty similar...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I thought the same thing. I’m not a fan of Trubisky at all so I hope Josh turns out to be much much better.  The jury is still out though. What I saw this year is that Josh may never be a stand-in-the-pocket and pick the D apart kind of QB.  I’m not sure if he will ever find the touch on those deep throws.  Yes he can scramble and make the occasional wow play, but I’m curious if he will make a leap in 2020. He needs to or the Bills will not get to that next level of success

agree....it's such a crap shoot as to if, when and to what extent they develop to be formidable at the NFL level......the individual depends on a multiple of surrounding components INCLUDING coaching....anybody predict the quasi-resurgence of Tannehill?........how about the reemergence of Rich Gannon later in his career?.....OR....some Pats castoff named Plunkett going to Raiders and notching two Lombardis?............

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

Mitch Trubisky has 1 less 4 quarter comeback to Josh Allen. They have near identical 3rd down conversion rates when passing. Mitch has the advantage by 0.2%.

So I guess by your “important stats” they are still pretty similar...

All true but the feeling is Trubisky hit his ceiling and Josh is nowhere near it.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Bleedbuffaloblue said:

No way we go backwards like the Bears did. Josh is already better than Tribusky and will only get better with his work ethic. We’ve already seen the best of MT and he has nowhere To go, but down.

how is Allen better than Tribusky ? Trubisky had a much better year statistically than Allen did. in their year 2's

they are about the same right now. 

Edited by Penfield45
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

It is a lazy comparison. Doesn't surprise me at all. If there is a chance to compare Allen's play to any QB or situation with a positive outlook versus a negative outlook, you can count on the negative comparison about 90 percent of the time.

The compulsive need of the national sports media to throw out a negative spin on Allen is astonishing.  Why do they even care?  For 80% of these guys it really does seem personal.  The similarities between Allen & Turbisky and the Bills & Bears are SUPERFICIAL at most.  This is simply lazy prognosis. 

And for the record is Turbisky really that bad and was it his fault the Bears took a step back this year?  I watched 3 Bears games and in EVERY one their D looked pretty average to me.

And for the record this is why some Bill's fans rally around Allen and defend him.  The last thing we should be doing is piling on when the sports media goes after our QB.  The TRUTH about Allen is simple:

*  He showed considerable improvement from his rookie year to his 2nd year in spite of still not having much in the way of impactful play makers.

*  He still has a long way to go before he's an elite QB and he may never get there.  But his upside is sky high and he has the potential to be an elite NFL QB.

*  The odds are better that the Bills win a lot of games and go to the playoffs a lot over the next 5 years with Allen as QB then he's a bust and a disappointed Bills organization parts ways with him in the next couple of years.

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

All true but the feeling is Trubisky hit his ceiling and Josh is nowhere near it.

I was more responding to the stats he said were left out. 

I don’t disagree. At the same time NOTHING about Trubiskys game is being held back because of physical capabilities or limitations. Similar to Josh they both seem to have a gifted skill set, it’s just a matter of refining it for the NFL game. 

Just like Josh, there is no reason to expect that year 3 is Mitch’s peak, the same as we shouldn’t expect it from Mitch. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think the difference is that the Bears defense last season(2018) was Historically good. Their sack and turnover rates were ridiculous and when they went back to just “good”, they struggled. 

Our defense was very good, but not historically great. They didn’t rely on turnovers as much as that Bears team.

Also, 2018 was when they went for broke on weapons for Trubisky. I feel like we went to par last season and will continue to build for Allen this off season as well. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Lots of specific differences between the teams, but the points that:

- defenses that did well in a year where they stayed unusually healthy could drop off a bit if they have a typical amount of injuries the following season and

- QBs who haven’t stepped completely up yet might hold their team back if they don’t progress

seem pretty valid.  The article doesn’t even say that they necessarily expect the Bills to follow the Bears, just that the trajectories are similar to a point and that it’s something that bears watching.

Heck, I see the keys to success next season being:

- Allen’s development

- additions to fill holes on team

- ability to manage a more difficult schedule

- health of team

The article hits two of those points   If anything I’d say that it was a bit obvious and could’ve gotten into more factors and details, but it’s not wrong on its main points.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloMatt said:

I hate the off season 

it’s nice to look forward to Week One, been 20 years, even going 1-4 down the stretch

Bears have fluked out some great regular seasons, mainly due to the weakest division in the NFL. Jauron did it and the Bears in 2018 as well

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

how is Allen better than Tribusky ? Trubisky had a much better year statistically than Allen did. in their year 2's

they are about the same right now. 

LOL...yeah, OK. Maybe you should actually watch Trubisky play football.

Stats.....for people that can't decipher what they are seeing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Bleedbuffaloblue said:

No way we go backwards like the Bears did. Josh is already better than Tribusky and will only get better with his work ethic. We’ve already seen the best of MT and he has nowhere To go, but down.

I think there is a chance the Bills take a step backwards next season due to strength of schedule. 

Eli Manning had a big jump his 2nd year, stayed flat his 3rd year, and a huge regression in his 4th year, and then won the Super Bowl in his 5th year. 

The Bills are in it for the long haul. Everyone wants to see Josh improve next year. But it's 5th and 6th year Josh that the league has to worry about. 

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

yeah okay....  LOL

Seriously.........except the 85 Bears D wouldn't give up 22 points in a half of a playoff game.

Other than that, the similarities are striking......................................................................................................................................(rolls eyes)

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Listened to that as well. Did a good job pointing out how the Bills team isn’t the 2017 Jags or 2018 Bears. When you live off turnovers for points, like the Cheating Pats did this year, you have more room for regression. I didn’t look into the Pats numbers deeper. I know off the top of my head the Bills game and I believe in  the Bengals game they were aided by ST turnovers. Bills are on the way up. Someone should do a dive into NE ways of winning this year. I bet it’s not sustainable. 

Bills also won a ton of close games. That could've gone either way.