CBS compares Bills to Bears

stuvian

I really wish we could give Josh Allen some real WR weapons to throw to before jettisoning him.

I mean he really has only 1.5 WRs out there... :)  TE's are pretty raw / have dropsies.

Josh has such a strong arm, IMO, right now he is waiting for his WR's to break and see where they are going before throws (his arm makes up for the 'late' throw).

Just think if he has a full arsenal of WR's and a TE that he could rely to get open for him (or at the very least he can throw it up to them and they fight for the ball).

• Like (+1) 1

I've said this for 2 years.   We have been just like them.  Difference is they didnt have 90M and a bunch of picks going into his 3rd year.  They traded away all their picks for mack and to trade up for him and couldn't spend big in FA.  Year 3 will be different because the team will be better and wont be just praying allen carries them. 

• Like (+1) 2

There's no guarantee that we'll be better in 2020. Edmunds is still not up to expectations and neither is Josh or Oliver or Ford or Knox. We still needs another couple of massive upgrades for the OL and a good posession receiver and a backup RB to replace Gore as well as a big jump from Knox and Sweeney. We are assuming that Allen will get better too. I've been listening to this Homerism through 17 fruitless years and it's always 'things are different now'. I remain in 'show me the baby' mode.

2 hours ago, hjnick said:

I really wish we could give Josh Allen some real WR weapons to throw to before jettisoning him.

I mean he really has only 1.5 WRs out there... :)  TE's are pretty raw / have dropsies.

Josh has such a strong arm, IMO, right now he is waiting for his WR's to break and see where they are going before throws (his arm makes up for the 'late' throw).

Just think if he has a full arsenal of WR's and a TE that he could rely to get open for him (or at the very least he can throw it up to them and they fight for the ball).

Both Brown and Beasley are above avg to good and I like having I Thompson for depth for his speed and versatility. I think 1.5 should be more like 2.5.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Tcali said:

Keys to Bills 2020...

JA learning some basics like sack avoidance,panic avoidance, sensing where defenders are when passing short,protection of the ball when he runs.

Keeping the defense together.While not the 85 bears or the 2000 ravens; this defense is very very good.

-When people talk about schedule difficulty a yr ahead that can be very flawed.Things change rapidly inthis league.Jets and the dolphins were not an easy out

by the end of this season.Titans may have been the best team in the league down the stretch.You cant look at a schedule a year ahead and know how easy or tough it will be EXC if

this was the past 20 yrs and you played in the AFC east with the Bills Dolphins and Jets;)

We had an easy schedule this year. And barely won a lot of close games. Still concerned about Josh because he's still inaccurate (in ball placement and completion percentage). Still think a lot of us fans don't watch enough outside of the bills to have a solid perspective on a QBs progression. Then the fans are upset when the national media is critical of our players. The defense is legitimately good. Singletary is good. The rest of the offense needs to improve significantly if we're going to seriously compete. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Foxx said:

i expect the Bills will take a step backwards in the win-loss department next year. yet, actually be a better team.

They’d better not take a step back next year.  The Ravens played a tougher schedule than the Bills will next year and they went 14-2.  Anything other than the division championship and a couple playoff wins would be a big disappointment.   They have been pointing toward 2020 for three years.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Pretty much what I have pointed out. 

Don't need to read the article, but my concerns noted here were simply that I see McD 100% committed to the Defense & whatever offense the Bills generate is a bonus.

I think Allen is the real deal, but I too see the Defense regressing or being exposed when they play a tougher schedule and this could then mirror Chicago or Jacksonville.

I wanted to see more from Allen & the offense in 2019, so we could be confident for 2020, but still questions.

10 hours ago, PIZ said:

The Bills do appear to have a brutal schedule next year. 

This is a majority view which I disagree with. Let's just break down the feared NFC west as an example. Arizona shouldn't scare anyone. Terrible D and Oline. Not fixable in one off-season. Rams are a team in decline. No draft picks, low cap with lots of important upcoming contracts due. Who is scared by Goff and arthritic Gurley? Seattle- won a ton of close games. Heavily dependent on Wilson magic. LT, LG, RG and 2 DEs all entering FA. 49ers are in the best shape but they can't keep their most impactful player Armstead as they have less cap than the Rams. Their defensive line is made up of high first rounders. It's based on talent more than scheme.

For me the Bills have so much more potential to improve than these teams. Just imagine if this team adds a dominant pass rusher!

22 hours ago, Bleedbuffaloblue said:

No way we go backwards like the Bears did. Josh is already better than Tribusky and will only get better with his work ethic. We’ve already seen the best of MT and he has nowhere To go, but down.

How can anyone say this any certainty?  I hope so but Allen was basically exactly like Mitch’s 2nd year.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TrubMi00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleJo02.htm

without a doubt, Allen is physically the better player.  But if the defense slips a bit and it ends up being a tougher schedule than we had this year, it could be a tougher year for Allen.  

• Like (+1) 2

My biggest concerns that could lead to a disappointment:

1. Offense - FO thinks they are headed in right direction and will all improve. So no need to bring in more talent. 

2. Injuries - We were one of the healthiest in the league.

3. Defense - There were times when the defense was not able to get enough pressure. Even so, much of the pressure was from the front four. If Phillips and Shaq walk could this be more impactful?

4. Defense - Age...dont want to call our defense old. But between Hyde, Poyer, Hughes, Star, Murphy there will be a number of guys 30+. 

I am confident overall. Clearly seeing Allen progress will be the biggest factor. We need him to become a consistently good passer. I dont think you can sustain the chaotic style that we now have with Allen making plays with his legs more than his arms, converting broken plays, etc. We need to see some of what you get from a Mahomes - drop back and boom with the occasional scramble or escape and improvise. Not saying he needs to be Mahomes, just more in that direction vs a Watson who still relies heavily on his running and improvising. 

The biggest thing going for the Bills this offseason is that they have a front office and coaching leadership that appears to be making personnel decisions with a purposeful plan, as opposed to emotion. Now, the question will be if that plan is good enough to make the jump from good to great, or only good enough to go from good to better. The distinction is crucial.

McBeane certainly aren't on the hot-seat in 2020, but this year they need to scout and plan like they are in danger of losing their jobs. 

For McD, that means changing his coaching philosophy of leading with defense and a conservative offense.  Good defenses lose to good offenses in the NFL, especially the playoffs.  If the goal is to get in as a 5 or 6 seed, McD's scheme might get you there.  You'd also think the GM is going to be bold this year finding talent to put around their QB they moved a lot of pieces to acquire.  After all, this is a team that pursued Antonio Brown last March. 

The time is now for this franchise.  2020 is the culmination of what will be 4 full off-seasons of building.  Either McD gets with best practices in the NFL or he continues talking and not doing. 

It's not wrong to have high expectations for the Bills, specifically this time of year when typically only the best NFL teams remain.  The Bills should be expected to contend for the SB next year. 

36 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

McBeane certainly aren't on the hot-seat in 2020, but this year they need to scout and plan like they are in danger of losing their jobs. 

For McD, that means changing his coaching philosophy of leading with defense and a conservative offense.  Good defenses lose to good offenses in the NFL, especially the playoffs.  If the goal is to get in as a 5 or 6 seed, McD's scheme might get you there.  You'd also think the GM is going to be bold this year finding talent to put around their QB they moved a lot of pieces to acquire.  After all, this is a team that pursued Antonio Brown last March. 

The time is now for this franchise.  2020 is the culmination of what will be 4 full off-seasons of building.  Either McD gets with best practices in the NFL or he continues talking and not doing. 

It's not wrong to have high expectations for the Bills, specifically this time of year when typically only the best NFL teams remain.  The Bills should be expected to contend for the SB next year. 

This reminded me - did not like the Beane or McD comment recently "we are only in year 4 of building". Hopefully the expectations are not that low...I dont think they are as these guys have to know we better be a playoff team for the foreseeable future. 

8 hours ago, GreggTX said:

There's no guarantee that we'll be better in 2020. Edmunds is still not up to expectations and neither is Josh or Oliver or Ford or Knox. We still needs another couple of massive upgrades for the OL and a good posession receiver and a backup RB to replace Gore as well as a big jump from Knox and Sweeney. We are assuming that Allen will get better too. I've been listening to this Homerism through 17 fruitless years and it's always 'things are different now'. I remain in 'show me the baby' mode.

Both Brown and Beasley are above avg to good and I like having I Thompson for depth for his speed and versatility. I think 1.5 should be more like 2.5.

I totally agree with you that the Offense is still a big work in progress and more is needed to elevate it. 

As for the line, I think we are a strong RT away from solidifying our line, plus resigning the OLINE players Beane wants to resign.

RB, we need a backup that we can pound up the middle.  Prob a 3-7 Round pick will go to a RB.

TE, we prob will not draft a TE or get one in FA.  I think Beane will stick with what we have.

Finally, WR.  I would like to sign a solid WR (at least a #2 WR) AND we need to get 1-2 WR's in the Draft.  Allen needs more athletic weapons.

Maybe it is homerism, but when I watch Josh Allen play, I can see why they drafted him.  His strong arm helps him put that ball in spots not many QBs can.  I think he is on the right path to becoming a really good QB.  Just needs to keep improving his decision making and give him more weapons that he can build trust with.

Will the record improve next year.  Probably not since the schedule will get harder, BUT we should be in the hunt for the division crown.  Which is something that we haven't won in a very long time.

Just think what our offense would do with WRs: AJ Green, Smoke, Beasley, Tee Higgins.  :) 

7 hours ago, unclepete said:

We had an easy schedule this year. And barely won a lot of close games. Still concerned about Josh because he's still inaccurate (in ball placement and completion percentage). Still think a lot of us fans don't watch enough outside of the bills to have a solid perspective on a QBs progression. Then the fans are upset when the national media is critical of our players. The defense is legitimately good. Singletary is good. The rest of the offense needs to improve significantly if we're going to seriously compete. 

i agree with you