Titans used Bills defense as blueprint to stop Ravens

YoloinOhio

Watching some of the defenses in the playoffs has made me realize our defense is far from elite, and it certainly isnt carrying the team the way some of these defenses are. Holding the Patriots to 13 points and the Ravens to 12 points would qualify as "carrying the team to victory." In fact the Bills would have beaten each of those 2 teams this year if our defense had done the same.

In my opinion our defense is very good, but it isn't championship level yet. We're missing at least one critical piece.

It would also be nice if we could score more than 0 defensive and special teams TDs.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Jackson produced 500 yards of offense but got shut down?  The turnovers were deadly - and I'm not Joshin'.

He was throwing behind receivers. He was floating balls. His stats were inflated in garbage time. He threw the ball 59 times! The game that Lamar needs to play in order to win was shut down. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Watching some of the defenses in the playoffs has made me realize our defense is far from elite, and it certainly isnt carrying the team the way some of these defenses are. Holding the Patriots to 13 points and the Ravens to 12 points would qualify as "carrying the team to victory." In fact the Bills would have beaten each of those 2 teams this year if our defense had done the same.

In my opinion our defense is very good, but it isn't championship level yet. We're missing at least one critical piece.

It would also be nice if we could score more than 0 defensive and special teams TDs.

Disagree.   Our defense doesn't get the lift that a good offense can provide in terms of getting a lead, eating clock or not turning the ball over (although Josh got better at that in the second half of the year).

Put our defense with a simply "above average" offense and the Bills as good as at least half of the 12 playoff teams, maybe more.   As good as Tennessee, and they're one game from the Super Bowl...

Edited by Lurker

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Maybe This will cause SM to realize that scoring point in every quarter is a good thing, and going prevent on D with  two quarters left in the game doesn’t work against better teams, what do you all think? Think he will change his spots?

Go Bills!!!

He better if he ever wants to be successful. 

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I could tell from from watching the game they were copying from buffalo.

remrmber

1 they go a pick, return to mid field, then a 15added on. Thrn they get a TD.

2 they turn a failed 4th down with positive yd start and turned it in a TD.

3. Buffalogave up a big play TD on a blown coverage.

4. Tenn got a 2nd half turnover deep positive start to turn into a TD

thry should not have changed their game plan after being down 14-0 early 2nd.

Buffalo did well on defense against the Ravens.  They just didn't have the offense to cope with what Baltimore did on defense.  While Buffalo will need to do some things in the off season to bolster their defense, the bulk of Beane's attention needs to be spent on offense.  It is a given that Allen will be the QB, but work needs to be done to bolster personnel on the line, at WR and running back.  Execution needs to be better next season from the holdovers at those positions (and Josh Allen).  There is no reason that can't happen, and I am optimistic about the potential of the Bills in 2020.

Said [prior to the Bills-Ravens game have to take away the middle and make Lamar throw outside as the inaccuracy really rears it head.  Bills did that for the majority of the game and then had the blown coverage to the TE.  

Be nice to commit to the run game the way the Titans did last night

1 hour ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Jackson produced 500 yards of offense but got shut down?  The turnovers were deadly - and I'm not Joshin'.

Empty yards don’t mean much. Ravens had all of 6 points in about 3 quarters. Much of that yardage came late in the game. Turnovers are huge, especially when the lead to opponents TDs. 

I mentioned this in the game thread last night. It shouldn’t be a surprise; it’s still a copycat league. The talking heads on ESPN game the Bills D zero credit. They were more concerned with the Bills failed 4th down pass attempt to tie the game late. Coaches and players took note, however. National media was too busy crowning the MVP to point out his flaws. 

4 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I was on a podcast before this game and said this exact statement , that Tenn has a similar defense and Buf laid the blueprint , predicted Lamar would be super ineffective.

Wasn't hard to see.  He's a 1 read QB that uses play action as a crutch , is terrible at going through progressions and reading a defense , ppl just get enamored with the jukes and stuff but that's not sustainable for any QB.

Whether through injury or great defense , a QB will never be able to win a SB relying on his legs for the majority of his success. Even his pass numbers are all a result of the run game

I think this is what excites me about Josh Allen...it looks like they're putting a lot of effort into developing him the right way so he doest use his legs to bail him out of jams all the time.  While lamar is playing at a higher level now I dont think the ravens are doing him any favors long term by just playing to his strengths all game every game.  Watching him not being able to hit those throws outside the numbers gave me some flashbacks to when teams figured out tyrod couldnt make throws in the middle of the field and tyrod/roman seemed to have no answers

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Hard to argue.... I think the difference was Henry and their offensive line in the run game. They were getting 4-6 yards a pop. Bills struggled to run the ball consistently all year. 

Jonnu Smith also made that HUGE contested td catch that completely changed the game.  I dont think the Bills made a play like that all year.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Titans had their own blown plays for a TD.   

A big difference for the Titans was Derrick Henry and the ability to just grind the ball down the Ravens throats.  The other difference was that when the Ravens tried to pull that Blitz 0 stuff, Tannehill promptly burned them deep.  

Now there are other strategies, which the Bills didn’t employ.  But being able to burn them deep was a big big help.

Can you imagine the meltdown, though, if Allen passed for less than 100 yds in 2 successive playoff games?

Yes, Derrick Henry was a big difference in that game.'

The thing is, you have to actually call running plays all game long to make the run game actually be effective.  Devin Singletary did get 17 carries against the Ravens in week 14 and meanwhile Allen throwing 39 times. 

This has been discussed in past threads and still it has relevance. In the first series of the second quarter of that week 14 Bills game the Bills ran Singletary six straight times along with Allen for three first downs and a FG. After this series the Bills went back to the pass for some unknown reason.  Singletary averaged 5.2 YPC in that game and simply wasn't utilized enough IMO. 

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

Yes, Derrick Henry was a big difference in that game.'

The thing is, you have to actually call running plays all game long to make the run game actually be effective.  Devin Singletary did get 17 carries against the Ravens in week 14 and meanwhile Allen throwing 39 times. 

This has been discussed in past threads and still it has relevance. In the first series of the second quarter of that week 14 Bills game the Bills ran Singletary six straight times along with Allen for three first downs and a FG. After this series the Bills went back to the pass for some unknown reason.  Singletary averaged 5.2 YPC in that game and simply wasn't utilized enough IMO. 

He wasn't utilitized enough all year

18 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

That’s exactly what my friend and I  were talking about as we watched the game last night. 
That is exactly how you beat Lamar. Make him play QB. There is the blueprint on stoping him. Now it’s going to be up to Lamar to evolve his game and be able to throw to the outside. And also throw better balls in general. Some of his throws looked like punts. I am skeptical he can do it, or why wouldn’t he of by now? 

Unfortunately, on that day, Jackson did play like a QB throwing for 3 TDs against this much vaunted defense...and that was the difference in the ball game..

14 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Empty yards don’t mean much. Ravens had all of 6 points in about 3 quarters. Much of that yardage came late in the game. Turnovers are huge, especially when the lead to opponents TDs. 

something our vaunted defense didn't do enough.