Titans used Bills defense as blueprint to stop Ravens

YoloinOhio

21 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Except they won and scored on offense. If we had Derrick Henry we would've beat them too. 

15 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Yes, Derrick Henry was a big difference in that game.'

The thing is, you have to actually call running plays all game long to make the run game actually be effective.  Devin Singletary did get 17 carries against the Ravens in week 14 and meanwhile Allen throwing 39 times. 

This has been discussed in past threads and still it has relevance. In the first series of the second quarter of that week 14 Bills game the Bills ran Singletary six straight times along with Allen for three first downs and a FG. After this series the Bills went back to the pass for some unknown reason.  Singletary averaged 5.2 YPC in that game and simply wasn't utilized enough IMO. 

Can't compare 6-4, 240 pound Henry to 5'7, 200 pound Singletary. Henry can get 30 touches and wears down a defense. We've seen it all playoffs. If the Titans can get a lead or keep it close, they're going to pound the rock. 

22 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

It's easy to commit to the run game when your getting at least 4 yards on every run.... crazy thing is the Bills had success running the ball last week, and abandon it for most of the 2nd half for whatever reason. 

Don’t be too hard on Daboll for only scoring one touchdown in 70 minutes of football. We saw yesterday how ferocious that Texans defense is.

Edited by mannc
  • Haha (+1) 2

22 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I agree they executed on offense better. I almost wrote it but deleted it because this thread was about defense. 

The titans had blown plays on defense yes but in garbage time. Different defense in garbage time. 

Titans didnt really do much more than us on offense.   They just got an early lead so they could lean on the run game.   We never got that chance. 

4 hours ago, ganesh said:

Unfortunately, on that day, Jackson did play like a QB throwing for 3 TDs against this much vaunted defense...and that was the difference in the ball game..

something our vaunted defense didn't do enough.

Did you watch the Bills game and those 3 passing TD’s? Please keep up loving on Lamar. When the wheels fall off, as a Bills fan, I will love it. it will mean one less team the Bills need to worry about.

On 1/12/2020 at 9:38 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Titans had their own blown plays for a TD.   

A big difference for the Titans was Derrick Henry and the ability to just grind the ball down the Ravens throats.  The other difference was that when the Ravens tried to pull that Blitz 0 stuff, Tannehill promptly burned them deep.  

Now there are other strategies, which the Bills didn’t employ.  But being able to burn them deep was a big big help.

Can you imagine the meltdown, though, if Allen passed for less than 100 yds in 2 successive playoff games?

There would be sale of torches and pitchforks with banner ads for them on TBD.

3 hours ago, unclepete said:

Except they won and scored on offense. If we had Derrick Henry we would've beat them too. 

Can't compare 6-4, 240 pound Henry to 5'7, 200 pound Singletary. Henry can get 30 touches and wears down a defense. We've seen it all playoffs. If the Titans can get a lead or keep it close, they're going to pound the rock. 

I agree as you are correct, you can't compare the two physically or running styles. 

However, Singletary is a different beast and is more like an elusive jaguar, he isn't a bulldozer or a Marshawn Lynch who can carry three defenders on him.

The simple fact is that Singletary averaged a 5.1 yard per carry average this season which is pretty freaking awesome. Which is in the LeSean McCoy class of averages. BTW, can you guess what yard per carry Derrick Henry averaged in 2019 regular season?  Yeah, 5.1 YPC avg same as Singletary. Motor was clearly underutilized all season.

Bills HoF RB Thurman Thomas was only 5'10'' 200 lbs. Barry Sanders, 5' 8'' 203 lbs. 

Even smaller RB's can wear out a defense only instead of smashing into the line to wear them out they have the defense chasing them all over the field so that by the fourth quarter they are panting like dogs with their hands on the their hips. 

Bottom line: in 2019 when the Bills ran more they won and when they threw more they lost. Look it up.

On 1/12/2020 at 10:30 AM, 34-78-83 said:

You had to think going into that game that our tape would be used as the main ingredient to the strategy to take out the Ravens. Ten also prefers zone schemes so it was a perfect fit. This is a really good reflection of our defensive staff and personnel to boot.

Titans also played Buffalo so rather than just film they had experience in defense Bills was playing and able to adapt some of principles more easily.

6 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Titans also played Buffalo so rather than just film they had experience in defense Bills was playing and able to adapt some of principles more easily.

The Buffalo Bills played the Tennessee Titans in week 5 at Tenn and held Derrick Henry to a 3.9 YPC avg. 20 rushes for 78 yards, 1 TD. 

The Titans were also starting Marcus Mariota at QB. Who was benched for Tannehill after week 6 for going 2-4. Tennehill went 7-3 this season. 

I don't think our plan was fool proof.  I just think it was good vs this particular Ravens team.  I think going forward the Ravens will need to add a perimeter threat because that's exactly what this plan gives up.  It gives you the 1 v 1 on the outside.  Most of Jackson's passes are to the middle of the field and down the seams and most of the receiving talent does its damage in the middle of the field and in the seams.  If they add a perimeter threat that can win the 1v1's  then teams are not going to be able to run this as a blue print.

Edited by NewEraBills

22 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

I don't think our plan was fool proof.  I just think it was good vs this particular Ravens team.  I think going forward the Ravens will need to add a perimeter threat because that's exactly what this plan gives up.  It gives you the 1 v 1 on the outside.  Most of Jackson's passes are to the middle of the field and down the seams and most of the receiving talent does its damage in the middle of the field and in the seams.  If they add a perimeter threat that can win the 1v1's  then teams are not going to be able to run this as a blue print.

I disagree. Jackson’s passes outside the numbers are a weakness, and his offense is built to cover that up. Even the beat reporters at the Baltimore Sun pointed this out, noting his lack of arm strength on those throws after Saturday nights loss. There’s a reason they’re built the way they are and focus on those seam routes. No plan is fool proof ( need the players to execute it) , but Jackson has been figured out by the league’s defensive coaches. The game plan was formulated around his weaknesses, not the WRs. Bills D did a better job containing his running though. 

18 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

I disagree. Jackson’s passes outside the numbers are a weakness, and his offense is built to cover that up. Even the beat reporters at the Baltimore Sun pointed this out, noting his lack of arm strength on those throws after Saturday nights loss. There’s a reason they’re built the way they are and focus on those seam routes. No plan is fool proof ( need the players to execute it) , but Jackson has been figured out by the league’s defensive coaches. The game plan was formulated around his weaknesses, not the WRs. Bills D did a better job containing his running though. 

Don't you think this is something that he can work on this offseason.  He had a specific plan last offseason and it worked for him so maybe this offseason it's passing outside the hashes.  I don't think he's been figured out honestly.  I just think it was a plan that was good against that particular Ravens team.  We'll see.

On 1/12/2020 at 6:40 AM, Don Otreply said:

Maybe This will cause SM to realize that scoring point in every quarter is a good thing, and going prevent on D with  two quarters left in the game doesn’t work against better teams, what do you all think? Think he will change his spots?

Go Bills!!!

Yes I was lamenting this as well. Got conservative way to early. Keep your foot on the gas until the last minute

• Like (+1) 1

This is pretty awesome. Shows we have the coaching to hang with the big boys (at least on defense).

What does this defense need? To learn how to tackle. Back to the basics, boys... If these players improve their tackling we will truly have an elite defense.